PDA

View Full Version : Training in the Japan

Please visit our sponsor:

diesel
10-28-2002, 09:45 AM
Greeting all..

I may have a grand opportunity to go to Japan for a year or so for school. I will continue my aikido training for sure! With the wealth of schools in Japan, I would like some recommendations. There is around a 98% chance I will be in the immediate tokyo area.

I currently train tenshin, which is called a "hard" style. I am only familiar with two schools in the tokyo area, aikikai and yoshinkan. I am leaning toward the yoshinkan hombu dojo.

Anyone train at either of these? Pros and cons? Any other dojos or school that one would recommend?

Feedback is much appreciated!

Cheers,
Eric
:ai: :ki: :do:

jaime exley
10-28-2002, 10:57 AM
Eric,

Congratulations on your Grand opportunity. I had the chance to train in Japan for a month earlier this year (mostly with Yoshinobu Takeda Sensei) . I'm more interested in the "softer" side of things, but I had a great experience at the Yoshinkan Hombu. They taught me some things that I'm still working on.

The same holds true for Seki Sensei at the Aikikai Hombu. His Aikido was very powerful and he was really generous in making sure that everyone in class got to take ukemi from him. (an invaluable experience)

If you want to train anywhere else you might need some kind of an intoduction. If you can get one you might fit in well with Kato sensei in Suginami or Kobayashi Sensei's group. I'm sure there are people on this board with much more experience in Japan than me that will have more advice.

Good luck

aikido_fudoshin
10-28-2002, 11:32 AM
Three of the four senseis at my dojo took the International Senshusei Course at the Yoshinkan Hombu dojo in Japan. They all say its the greatest thing they have ever accomplished in their lives. Very, very, tough training. When you're there see if you can get in on some of the kenshu classes. => back breakfalls until your back bleeds, same with knee walking and suwari waza. I believe its not uncommon to throw up after each class aswell. :)

diesel
10-28-2002, 11:49 AM
Three of the four senseis at my dojo took the International Senshusei Course at the Yoshinkan Hombu dojo in Japan. They all say its the greatest thing they have ever accomplished in their lives. Very, very, tough training. When you're there see if you can get in on some of the kenshu classes. => back breakfalls until your back bleeds, same with knee walking and suwari waza. I believe its not uncommon to throw up after each class aswell. :)
Yeah, I was contemplating the senshusei course... It's kind of pricey if you don't intend on teaching. Since there is no yoshinkan dojo's where I am (and I know I wont have time to open my own dojo), I think it wouldn't be what I would do (although I would love to do it!!). The kenshu classes are looking more and more like what I would be doing.

Cheers

Matt Whyte
11-12-2002, 02:00 AM
Hey guys.

I would love to train at Aikikai Hombu dojo. in fact, it is one of my dreams to be learning under Doshu Moriteru Ueshiba. that would be great. Just make sure you have enough money, as apparently, things over there are very expensive.

Good Luck.

Judd
11-12-2002, 10:33 AM
I'm planning on visiting Kyoto over spring break and a co-worker who's visited Japan told me it's like 8 bucks (US) for a cup of coffee. Expensive indeed. But you can buy all the sweet electronics before they make it to the US!

flipip23
11-15-2002, 07:53 AM
I'm currently considering training in Japan, and I wondered if anyone knew of alternatives to the International Senshusei Course. I train in a ki-style currently, and although I have no objection to harder styles, I'd be interested to know if there were any other dojos in the Tokyo area that run intensive full-time courses.

If not, other opinions on the Yoshinkan course would be very welcome, as it is always a possibility. Also, someone mentioned it is quite a pricey course - does anyone have a figure?

Cheers,

Philip

diesel
11-15-2002, 09:34 AM
I'm currently considering training in Japan, and I wondered if anyone knew of alternatives to the International Senshusei Course. I train in a ki-style currently, and although I have no objection to harder styles, I'd be interested to know if there were any other dojos in the Tokyo area that run intensive full-time courses.

If not, other opinions on the Yoshinkan course would be very welcome, as it is always a possibility. Also, someone mentioned it is quite a pricey course - does anyone have a figure?

Cheers,

Philip
Current price break down for the senshusei course is around this: (all us $)

$100 Registration fee

~$215 A month (11 months total)

$120 Dan testing fee

=================

$2585 let's just say 2600 for the course.

There are additional costs for dojo parties etc. But that is a recent cost breakdown from Yoshinkan Honbu from about a month ago.

Let's not forget, Tokyo is one of the world's most expensive cities also. I've been told apples are $20-$30 and watermelon can be upwards of $100. Just a few examples..

Yoshinkan also has normal classes and what they call a kenshu course. The kenshu course, from what I have heard, is similar to the senshusei course except it's not 6 hours a day for 5 days week and it's not a year long.

There are plenty of other alternatives, after all.. it's Japan.

;)

Eric