PDA

View Full Version : YouTube: Ellis Amdur Taikyoku Aikido Kumi-Jo & Taijutsu, Oberlin, OH

Please visit our sponsor:

rvanvalk
06-24-2015, 04:59 AM
There is a new video on YouTube of Ellis Amdur excerpted from a 3-day seminar hosted by Oberlin Aikido Club in Ohio Jan 30 - Feb 1, 2015. Click HERE (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqFi0AlqcPU) to view the video.

In Amdur's words: "My recent explorations regarding aikido concern the adaptation of basic movement principles (in this case the theme of ikkyoku - 'first principle') into effective use of the medium length staff. This is a product of research I've been doing with my training brother, Bruce Bookman, the goal being the expression of an explosive level of power with the weapon (or hand-to-hand) with minimal movement or physical tension. For me, aikido is not a "combative art" - it's a laboratory to study these principles in depth so that they can be applied in any/all venue. The material is this video is directly relevant to my book, Hidden in Plain Sight."

Millsy
06-25-2015, 04:42 PM
Thanks for sharing this, always interested in seeing what Ellis Admur has to say. I've only been lucky enough to attend one seminar with him, and he left me with a number of things to think about and explore in my own aikido.

rvanvalk
06-28-2015, 05:51 AM
Thanks for sharing this, always interested in seeing what Ellis Admur has to say. I've only been lucky enough to attend one seminar with him, and he left me with a number of things to think about and explore in my own aikido.

I'm glad to have been able to share it.

sakumeikan
06-28-2015, 11:03 AM
Dear All,
Hate to say this but the video shown is a bit like the Emperors New Clothes.Too much talking not enough action.Maybe the video does not do Amdur Sensei justice? Sorry. cheers, Joe.

rvanvalk
06-28-2015, 04:14 PM
Dear All,
Hate to say this but the video shown is a bit like the Emperors New Clothes.Too much talking not enough action.Maybe the video does not do Amdur Sensei justice? Sorry. cheers, Joe.

Hi Joe,

This video was never intended to be a 'lesson' or a 'how to,' but is instead intended to display enough so that people 'get the idea.' For more from Amdur Sensei, one would have to attend one of his seminars or train with one of the people who is exploring these ideas further. As the saying goes, "It has to be felt."

That said, there is a longer video online wherein Amdur Sensei goes into more depth regarding his Taikyoku (Great Themes) concept as it relates to classical aikido. You can watch the video HERE (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ba6NShe6ak).

Regards,

sakumeikan
06-28-2015, 06:02 PM
Hi Joe,

This video was never intended to be a 'lesson' or a 'how to,' but is instead intended to display enough so that people 'get the idea.' For more from Amdur Sensei, one would have to attend one of his seminars or train with one of the people who is exploring these ideas further. As the saying goes, "It has to be felt."

That said, there is a longer video online wherein Amdur Sensei goes into more depth regarding his Taikyoku (Great Themes) concept as it relates to classical aikido. You can watch the video HERE (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ba6NShe6ak).

Regards,

Dear Todd,
I cannot say the longer video is any better than this first one I commented on.The ukes for example were akin to display dummies in a shop window.Maybe I am too harsh here? Not my cup of tea.Cheers, Joe.

asiawide
07-01-2015, 06:24 PM
Remind me of Mike Sigman. :)

Larry Feldman
07-06-2015, 10:14 AM
Nice. Some valuable lessons. Thanks for posting.

MRoh
07-07-2015, 04:13 AM
in this case the theme of ikkyoku - 'first principle'

In 0:39 we see a men-uchi. The following statement I understand as "that is Ikkyo"!

In order to be recognized as Ikkyo, there are missing some important elements in this technique.
But maybe I understood wrong, and it was "that is Ikkyoku"?