PDA

View Full Version : training while ill

Please visit our sponsor:

Chocolateuke
07-06-2002, 04:40 PM
Hey all! Had a fun last few days?? Heres a post that is similiar to the HIV Aids type post. What do you think of people who train while they are ill?? I dont mean have a STD but the common cold? or Flu or other wise?

I used to be deathly afraid of germs ( now its poison Oak :) ) but as i have been getting younger :P I have been losing that fear, but when someone is really sick and wants to train i get chilled a little. I try to have a positive mindset... anyways any opinions?

lt-rentaroo
07-06-2002, 05:59 PM
Here's my view. You should not train when you're ill. It's disrespectful to everyone else on the mat in the sense that you're basically telling them that you don't give a hooey about their health and well being. By ill, I'm refering to the the common cold, flu, chicken pox, poison ivy/oak/sumac, etc.

When I have students show up to class, who are clearly not 100% health wise, I ask them to only observe class. There's no sense in spreading around the cold or whatever it is to everyone else in the dojo.

guest1234
07-06-2002, 06:32 PM
For the most part, I agree with Louis: most colds, flu, etc are spread by getting one's germs onto one's hands, then touching someone else, or something that they touch. It is rude to make others ill, and that is what you do when you train with a cold, etc.

OTOH, poison ivy/sumac is not contagious, it is not in the blisters that form, you will not transmit it to others. But since it is an open wound, you should not be training with it, anyway. Besides, I have often found patients who "know" it is poison ivy, when instead it IS something you can give to others, like a variety of herpes viruses, scabies, impetigo...all of which are very very very rude (even VERY VERY VERY) to give to someone else. So play it safe, don't train with a rash, especially a weeping one.

lt-rentaroo
07-06-2002, 10:00 PM
Colleen -

It's funny you mention the poison ivy/sumac/oak not being spread through contact with the blisters/itchy area. I've known about this for a long time. I grew up with the stuff all around me, got it really bad once when I was in grade school, and seem to have developed somewhat of an immunity to it.

My wife OTOH, is very susceptible to poison ivy and the others, and swears that you can spread it through bodily contact. If we go for a walk in the forest and I come in contact with the stuff she makes me go through a level 4 biohazard decontamination routine before I'm allowed in the house.

Thanks for further explaining what I was trying to say, I don't want to spread around the poison ivy/oak/sumac contagion rumor.

Train well! :)

guest1234
07-07-2002, 05:26 AM
Hey Louis,
Far be it from me to cause marital discord...now the clothes decon (an even initial skin decon if you're fairly immune--lucky you!) is not over-the-top for her, as you can get the plant material itself on you and then on her... but once you've washed off (no boiling water or clorox needed ;) ) she shouldn't run from your embrace :)... but if you both walked through the same area and she did OK, you probably couldn't have wandered through anything dangerous.

You know, it's funny, thinking about this post made me think about what I do when obviously ill folks turn up on the mat with me: I tend to try to avoid them as partners, and I'm pretty good at training with whom I want, and avoiding those I don't. But occasionally I end up with someone, and just train, then try to remember not to touch my face (yeah, not easy in the east coast humid summers) until I can wash. Yet I'd refuse to train with someone I thought was drunk or purposely trying to hurt me, and perhaps I should do the same for obviously ill. I do mention to those with open wounds, etc to take the time to cover them, but when they refuse, I have to sheepishly admit I don't insist. Perhaps I should start. Maybe we could use your wife's example of caring enough for herself and her well being to insist others not hurt her :)

jaemin
07-07-2002, 05:39 AM
Simple I don't train aikido when I'm not OK. Many people keep on training even when they are injured, and I couldn't see some of them at the dojo some monhts later. :(

Jaemin