PDA

View Full Version : finding a club in sapporo

Please visit our sponsor:

Robert Coons
04-17-2012, 05:27 PM
Hello all,
I didn't see a separate section for finding a club, so this seems like the4 best place to ask.
I am going to Sapporo, but only for a month. I leave on Tuesday and will be there till the end of may.
Some of my plans while there are to study ikebana, tea, calligraphy etc... but i want to find a martial arts club to train at.
Usually I focus on combative stuff and have been moving more and more toward sport, having particular interest in Judo and BJJ, but i have a shoulder injury which prevents me from doing full contact work, so I need to train something that is a little easier on my body.
I'm wondering if anyone can direct me toward a good aikido or jujutsu school that focuses mostly on empty hand work? I'm up for learning weapons too, but I like things empty hand the best, because I can bring the most to my other training by doing that sort of exercise.

Thanks very much for any answers and advice!

Rob

robin_jet_alt
04-17-2012, 05:34 PM
How is your Japanese? If you can read it, try using the aikikai dojo finder.

http://www.aikikai.or.jp/jpn/sibukensaku/kensakutop.htm

Robert Coons
04-17-2012, 06:18 PM
Thanks for that,
my Japanese is not good enough to read that website.
i'm wondering if anyone has any specific experience with clubs in Sapporo, or even Otaru.
I met a lovely Australian guy who does Daito ryu out there. Maybe i will run into him again.
Also know a third dan kendo sensei, but i suspect that after our unsuccessful first date, she would rather cut me down than teach me the real stuff... :D
Maybe my girlfriend can help me a bit too.
It would be best though if there is someone here who did a bit of training in Sapporo.
It totally doesn't have to be Aikido. Other jujutsu styles are good too.

Alex Megann
04-18-2012, 02:39 AM
I believe Imamura Semsei is the Dojo-Cho at Sapporo Aikikai. Here is a clip (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kwF5ooBv00) of him teaching in Europe.

He has a very nice, elegant style which may or may not be what you are looking for.

Alex

Robert Coons
04-18-2012, 05:59 PM
the quality of his movement is lovely.
i will check out that dojo.

Thank you!

Akamas
05-18-2012, 09:57 PM
I practice at several dojos in Sapporo, and the people at each are friendly and welcoming. I think that any one of them would suit your needs.