PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a training partner?

Please visit our sponsor:

scarey
04-12-2012, 01:58 PM
Just wanted to see what kind of feedback I can get about finding a training partner. Here's the link to Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/questions/364288653608407/

Shadowfax
04-12-2012, 02:05 PM
No not generally I would not. But I do know someone from my dojo who moved to Houston a while back and I guess there really is not much to pick from in aikido out there. Kinda of a bummer for him.

scarey
04-12-2012, 10:00 PM
Thanks for your response! I'm curious to see how much desire there is for training outside anyone's given dojo schedule and to what extent people would seek out someone to train with in a park.

Basia Halliop
04-12-2012, 10:12 PM
I don't think I could imagine looking for a random person to train with just because we both nominally did the same martial art.

Training extra hours outside of regular classes with someone I already knew via my regular training, that's quite different and I've done that before.

So if the question is would I look for a training partner on a website, then no.

susanmarie
04-12-2012, 10:43 PM
Yes, if I moved someplace where I was having difficulty finding enough training opportunities.

Probably not at the moment as I have pretty much filled up my schedule with classes I enjoy.

Aikibu
04-12-2012, 11:21 PM
My Friend Marc just opened a Nishio Affiliated Dojo in Houston. you should check him out.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Yurusu-Aikido-of-Houston-Sho-Ku-Juku/235753453167517?sk=info

William Hazen

bob_stra
04-13-2012, 02:38 AM
I've done it a few times. One of the things I make sure to do is to have several conversations via email first, then meet them up for a coffee someplace (my shout). Helps gauge the other person and decrease death by axe murder

lbb
04-13-2012, 08:48 AM
I think the answer depends on a bunch of different things, but ultimately they boil down to: what would you hope to get by outside training that you're not getting in the dojo? That's the critical question, because the answer determines not only whether you should be looking for outside training, but what that outside training should be like.

If you are currently getting good training in your dojo, I think it's important to be very clear on your reasons for wanting outside training. And, if you feel you aren't getting good training in your dojo, I don't think that outside training is going to help.

Dave de Vos
04-15-2012, 01:26 PM
I don't work on fridays and I'd love to train then, but dojos in my area don't offer daytime lessons during the week. A good training partner could be a great alternative, but how do you find one with training goals that are compatible with your own? Not easy, I think.

Basia Halliop
04-15-2012, 08:03 PM
I don't work on fridays and I'd love to train then, but dojos in my area don't offer daytime lessons during the week. A good training partner could be a great alternative, but how do you find one with training goals that are compatible with your own? Not easy, I think.

Hopefully people at your own dojo have training goals that are compatible with your own, no? It seems like you have a problem anyway if that's not the case.

Now when it comes to extra training, whether others have the same schedule as you and wish to do extra training when you do, of course that's not always obvious. And I guess the smaller your dojo probably the less likely it is.

tarik
04-15-2012, 08:36 PM
No not generally I would not. But I do know someone from my dojo who moved to Houston a while back and I guess there really is not much to pick from in aikido out there. Kinda of a bummer for him.

IME, there's plenty of aikido in the Houston area ranging from crap to pretty fucking amazing.

Best,

Anjisan
04-16-2012, 07:22 AM
Shobu Aikido which is an Aikido School of Ueshiba dojo is in my opinion worth considering. The head instructor Ana Arango Sensei and I believe a few of her students were at a seminar with Saotome Sensei at the Nashville Aikikai last month where I took my Sandan exam. They certainly seemed like good people performing good aikido.

1320 Hawthorne St.
Houston TX 77006
713-818-2396

Dave de Vos
04-16-2012, 12:01 PM
Hopefully people at your own dojo have training goals that are compatible with your own, no? It seems like you have a problem anyway if that's not the case.

Now when it comes to extra training, whether others have the same schedule as you and wish to do extra training when you do, of course that's not always obvious. And I guess the smaller your dojo probably the less likely it is.

Concerning training goals, I was thinking about a training partner outside of dojo hours. During dojo hours there are many different training partners, each with their own goals. That's great, I like the variation.

But if I were to train regularly outside of the dojo, with one particular training partner, I think it matters a lot more how compatible you are as persons and as training buddies. I would like to train with someone who likes to experiment and who likes to go slow. Preferably someone who is better than me and a person whose notion of aikido makes sense to me.

I could post a request on the facebook page of our aikido organization, but I'm hesitant to do so.

Alberto_Italiano
04-17-2012, 08:29 AM
Thanks for your response! I'm curious to see how much desire there is for training outside anyone's given dojo schedule and to what extent people would seek out someone to train with in a park.

For me, that is indispensable.
Alas, I'm not in Houston!

marklip
05-17-2012, 10:57 PM
Thanks for the recommendation William.

To the op:
Hello Shawn,
I'm Mark Lipsinic, the person William Hazen recommended.
I am more then willing to meet and discuss your inquiry for a partner to do some outside training.
Currently, I am in process of starting my own Nishio Aikido dojo here in Houston.
http://www.houstonaikikai.com
At this time I am still trying to find a permanent location for the dojo. However, I hope to at least have a temporary training location secured by the end of the month.
I also have ten Zebra tatami grappling mats at home that I can lay out to train with in my living room.

Let me know if you are interested.
Cheers,
Mark

Chris Parkerson
05-18-2012, 01:14 AM
Just an observation.
Marc is a fine training partner and well adept in his tradition.
His movement is precise, his touch is gentle and his attitude is patient and humble.

Be well.

Shadowfax
05-18-2012, 06:17 AM
IME, there's plenty of aikido in the Houston area ranging from crap to pretty fucking amazing.

Best,

I am sure that is true. I was mistaken about which city in Texas my friend had moved to. :)