PDA

View Full Version : Daito-ryu Aikijujutsu

Please visit our sponsor:

Martin72
06-27-2002, 12:22 AM
Does anyone know the difference in training between Daito-ryu Aikijujutsu and Aikido? I know that O'Sensei studied that martial art for over 20 years, so I was wondering what's really the difference when talking about training.
What takes me to a second puzzle. IF the training is very similar, why is that sometimes Aikido is consider as an ineffective self defense art, and Daito-ryu Aikijujutsu was designed as a self defense art and is suppoused to be efective (check http://www.daito-ryu.org/history.html).
Thank youuuuuuu!

Paula Lydon
06-27-2002, 10:24 AM
Greetings :freaky: ! From my limited understanding, Daito-ryu Aikijujitsu is primarity rooted in conflict and the battlefield whereas Aikido is primarily rooted in a philosophical/spiritual base to improve yourself and the state of the world.
I believe, martially, that both are highly effective arts, but like all arts the physical manifestation depends upon the intent, developement and focus of the artist. When I train--in Aikido--I try always to be mindful of the martial effectiveness while keeping my main focus on the philosophical aspects. I know I can hurt someone...but can I not hurt them? And how do I feel about that? Do I really want to hurt them? Yes, it's all about me! :D
Sure, these aspects overlap from either style into either style, but it's the overall focus. If you want to learn ternament grappling you won't go to Aikido! I think Aikido appears less effective to many people--especially those who have trained in harder more break-your-face arts--because most of the practitioners are working on subtle principles and themselves. Now, I've trained with people who thought they were working on their 'spirituality' by attacking me like a limp rag...
For me the question is: 'Do I want mastery over you, or over myself?' Daito-ryu is over you while, I think, Aikido is over myself. Hope that doesn't scramble you anymore than you are.
:circle: :square: :triangle: