PDA

View Full Version : Aikido Koans

Please visit our sponsor:

hughrbeyer
04-25-2011, 08:53 PM
If I retreat from my opponent's attack, he will bowl me over. If I attack him, he can counter. If I do nothing, I'm dead meat. So I must meet his attack neither by retreating, nor by attacking, nor by doing nothing.

If my aikido isn't effective martially, it's worthless. But if all I want is effective self-defense, aikido is a waste of time. I'd do better with a pistol and a concealed-carry permit.

Be patient. Aikido takes 20 years to master. Don't expect to learn it all at once.
Be impatient. If you don't get something out of every practice, you've wasted your time.

I can only learn aikido from my teacher. He knows; I don't. But he can teach me nothing. Until I find aikido in myself and figure out what it feels like, I learn nothing.

I cannot move my opponent. He is bigger than me and stronger than me. I cannot move myself. He is holding me. I move us both, together.

Mary Eastland
04-25-2011, 09:16 PM
If I try, I am bound to fail.
I must do that which I have not done.

Trust the center you do not believe in. Your belief will grow a center you can trust.

graham christian
04-26-2011, 01:01 PM
Student: 'Master, what's the truth of handling weapons?'

Master: 'That there is no weapon.'

Student: 'But Master we train with weapons.'

Master. 'They are but an illusion.'

Student: 'How so, they are very real and dangerous to me and they hurt!'

Master: ' Your own belief is what makes them real and gives them power. Thus you are hurt by your own ignorance.'

Student: ' Mmmmm.... So Master, is the truth that the weapon isn't there then?'

Master: 'The truth is you are the weapon!!!'