PDA

View Full Version : Tendon Injury Research

Please visit our sponsor:

Janet Rosen
03-01-2011, 02:40 PM
As ever, the nurse keeps her eyes out for relevant sports medicine news: This from Jane Brody in today's New York Times (http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/01/health/01brody.html):

"Two time-honored remedies for injured tendons seem to be falling on their faces in well-designed clinical trials.
The first, corticosteroid injections into the injured tendon, has been shown to provide only short-term relief, sometimes with poorer long-term results than doing nothing at all.
The second, resting the injured joint, is supposed to prevent matters from getting worse. But it may also fail to make them any better."

She cites a couple of good studies from the Lancet. It is noted that some therapists like to use eccentric exercises (I laughed, but this doesn't mean idiosyncratic, offbeat ones! rather ones that involve muscle contractions as the muscle fibers lengthen) and others prefer protective isometric exercises. The bottom line seems to be, preserve or even increase strength and function in the surrounding areas.

dps
03-02-2011, 06:57 AM
Very timely article for me. I currently have an tendon impingement in my left shoulder. The bursar is inflamed. The doctor gave me a cortisone injection with some difficulty because of the arthritis in my shoulder joint. I currently am in physical therapy with some aggressive exercise with good results.

Thank for the link to the article.

dps

Janet Rosen
03-02-2011, 09:25 AM
Hoping for a speedy, full recovery for you, David.

Larry Cuvin
03-02-2011, 09:36 AM
Thanks for sharing the link.