PDA

View Full Version : Poll: What is the longest period of time you've been sidelined from aikido due to an aikido injury?

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb System
05-19-2002, 01:15 AM
AikiWeb Poll for the week of May 19, 2002:

What is the longest period of time you've been sidelined from aikido due to an aikido injury?

I don't do aikido
I've never been injured
0-1 week
1-2 weeks
3-4 weeks
5-6 weeks
7-8 weeks
9-10 weeks
11-12 weeks
13-14 weeks
15-16 weeks
17-18 weeks
19-20 weeks
20+ weeks

Here are the current results (http://www.aikiweb.com/polls/results.html?poll_id=114).

Jim ashby
05-19-2002, 01:09 PM
I voted 15-16 wks. A broken arm, not sustained during Aikido practice I hasten to add. It's still not fully recovered, but I'm still training, just going easy on that side.
Have fun.

Jorx
05-19-2002, 03:03 PM
I had my knee smashed once...
doing Koshinage breakfall the first thing that hit the mat was my knee... I was off for more than a week. However with wrists and elbows and other minor injuries gotten from training or elsewhere I go to train but just take it easy...

Jorgen

SeiserL
05-19-2002, 03:37 PM
Greetings to all,

I was out 3 months doing physical therapy because I had partially torn cartilegde and legiments in one knee, a slightly torn rotator cuff in the shoulder, and four disk bulges in the lumbar region. Wasn't from Aikido. It was just from the mileage.

Lynn
Nidan Tenshinkai Aikido
Lucaylucay Kali JKD

adriangan
05-19-2002, 06:27 PM
I was out for 2 1/2 months due to a hyperextended elbow from a hijikime, I don't think I'll ever forget hearing my elbow clicking 4 times :freaky: :)

Regards,
Adrian

Creature_of_the_id
05-20-2002, 06:23 AM
I voted 9-10 weeks (and counting :( )

was uke for a second dan grading and fell wrong out of sumi otoshi from hamni handachi waza (2nd throw of the grading)

seperated the AC joint (shoulder) broke my collar bone and my first two ribs and ripped the tendons that hold it all neatly in place front and back

finished the grading of course ;)
although attacking someone with a Jo when your left shoulder is busted up is quite difficult

andrew
05-20-2002, 06:30 AM
six months and counting with a torn set of priorities. have to finish my thesis before I tape that one back together.

andrew

Creature_of_the_id
05-20-2002, 09:36 AM
ouch... a thesis can really hurt

good luck with it by the way

Amendes
05-20-2002, 07:18 PM
How can you stand it?

If I was sidelined I would go crazy.
Then again this is from the guy who decided that even with bronchatis he had to go to class.

Man you never tried to do 31 Jo Kata until you tried it with bronchatis.

That was the day I refussed to work with anyone else because I dident want them to have broncahtis too.

Heck thosse whole three weeks that I had it were interesting. I came on friday almost not able to walk on my own two feet, then i stayed in bed after class until monday afternoon when I got up and went again. :-)

I'm already going nuts for missing todays class becasue of this Victoria Day. Oh I need help, my addiction is too strong.

Creature_of_the_id
05-21-2002, 02:19 AM
I cant stand it ... thats the thing :(
I am walking around like a bear with a sore head.
I go along to my class and supervise and do one handed aikido (its great fun actually).
but its just hell

going from 5 or 6 times a week to 0 is so strange, I dont know what to do with my time other than mope around the house... alone... because all my friends are at aikido

(everybody say aaaaaahhhhh!)

hehehe

Mr. P
05-23-2002, 04:29 AM
I'm feeling lucky as I'm reading you :rolleyes: .
My longest (tough it was the only time) period was around three weeks :( .
I'm lucky because it happenned at the beginning of my training, so I wasn't Aïkido-addict yet :p !

I entered my class during a year. Everybody thought I was from another club :blush: . So, when I saw them forward fall, I heard a sempaï of mine telling another rookie : "just roll, and don't ever think !".
I fell and heard a sound like "Clac :confused: !" at my right shoulder. I didn't say anything at the moment, because I was too proud :cool: to show my pain. Then, another forward falls session came. And, since I thought I was clever :D , I fell on the other shoulder. "Clac !" was my only reward for my "bravery". Then, it was time to practice Iriminage. When I noticed I couldn't even higher my arms :eek:, I finished the session sitting out of the mat :o.
It took so long because, when you're hurt at ONE arm, you can use the other one. But, when you can't barely wash yourself, you begin to understand what anger is !

Since that funny but painful event, no more injury (thanks God and my sempaïs' carefulness ;) )...

Fminor
05-23-2002, 06:02 AM
To tell you the truth - when I joined Aikido lessons, I was very spectacle about my ability to continue practicing it.
I was sure one of my joints will "vote against it" after watching all the locks and throws... :eek:

The first month of practicing - I called myself "a person made out of joints"... (cause every time I rolled, I felt each and every one of them)...
That's way I wasn't surprised when I've started getting pains on my left shoulder.
After a visit to my doctor - I found myself retiring from Aikido with an inflammation in the shoulder strip.

Luckily, I didn't give up and instead done 3 things :
1. let my shoulder rest for 3 weeks.
2. took antibiotics.
3. went to an acupuncture and shiatsu treatment.
What can I tell you - it did the trick and my persistent finally paid off.

I'm preparing for my 5th kyu exam now, still not the best aikidoka in the dojo, but I'm working on it :)