PDA

View Full Version : Robert Aoyagi Sensei passes away

Please visit our sponsor:

Chris Li
11-17-2010, 04:07 PM
It is with great sadness that I must inform you that our Chief Instructor, Robert H. Aoyagi Shihan, passed away yesterday evening, November 16. He had just recently celebrated his 90th birthday, and over 50 years in Aikido. Condolences go out to his entire family, especially to his devoted wife, Dora. Funeral arrangements and other details will be announced as they are made available.

Evan Fujiuchi
President, Board of Directors
Aikido of Honolulu

Passing along the news...

Chris

niall
11-17-2010, 08:13 PM
I'm so sorry to hear that. Aoyagi Sensei was a very nice man. He was very kind to me when I visited his dojo in Honolulu many years ago. He was in his sixties then and he joked about starting a new career as a martial arts movie star. Rest in peace.

lrtomoleoni
11-17-2010, 09:35 PM
My condolences to his family. Aoyagi Sensei was a special gentleman.

ramenboy
11-17-2010, 09:58 PM
this was one of the senseis i thought would live forever. he was still a force when i was there in 2003.

RIP, sensei

aikishihan
11-17-2010, 10:26 PM
First, heartfelt condolences to the Aoyagi family, the students of Hawaii's diverse Aikido population, and to all who counted themselves fortunate indeed for knowing Aoyagi Sensei in life.

How bittersweet to learn of Aoyagi Sensei's passing.

Bitter, because we have lost a true statesman for Ueshiba Aikido, a gentleman in the class of the late Nidai Doshu himself. How sad that he will not be on hand to greet us at next year's Celebration of the Founder's trip to Hawaii, 50 short years ago. How large a loss for his direct and many indirect students and admirers, that his class, integrity and human warmth will no longer be an available resource, that too many of us took for granted.

Sweet, because he made it to 90, and very few Aikidoka, nay human beings worldwide, can claim as such a marvelous milestone. Luscious too are the multitude of memories of Aoyagi Sensei gently admonishing, compassionately cajoling and always, always, always, encouraging his charges to do just a little bit more and win the prize of self discovery and the exquisite satisfaction of doing their best.

Sayonara, Sensei, and may you rest in the Peace you richly deserve.

Mahalo, and Aloha,

francis takahashi

Mark Uttech
11-18-2010, 02:16 PM
Onegaishimasu. Condolences to family friends and students. I also have regrets that I never got to train with or under him.

In gassho,

Mark

jamie yugawa
11-18-2010, 02:44 PM
My condolences to his family, friends and students. I met him at Aikido of Hilo's winter camp in 08. He was a funny and interesting person and his Aikido was amazing also. you will be missed Sensei.

akiy
11-30-2010, 03:55 PM
Here is a nice article on Aoyagi sensei that I just ran across:

http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/hawaiinews/20101121_Instructors_impact_went_beyond_aikido.html

My condolences to all who knew him.

-- Jun