PDA

View Full Version : transcendental meditation and ki breathing.

Please visit our sponsor:

njnoexit
05-14-2002, 02:19 PM
what is the differance between transcendental meditation and ki breathing, and what are you opinions on both?

Bruce Baker
05-14-2002, 04:55 PM
I am gonna reach back the 1970s on this one ... although it is my personal experience with dabbling in meditation, I am sure someone down the line will have more detailed information.

Transcendental Meditation of a piece of Prana Yoga, kind of twisted into a more palatable form of commercial goods. The original application was to allow the spirit to transcend to a higher spiritual plane, or separate from the body but stay connected by means of the golden cord. The golden cord or thread is the connection to the body that allows the spirit to retain physical control of the body while the spirit reaches into the higher plane but stay connected so the body doesn't die. It is recorded in many stupid movies and although there is a long history of it causing a hypnotic like state, the strength of what looks like atrophied muscles in people who practice this type of yoga sometimes shows incredible strength when called upon in emergencys. It is also a form of meditation taught to the Shaolin monks when Da-Mo came from India.

The use of Ki breathing leans more towards the natural energy of the body, and natures strength, or drawing in the strength of the Universe. Although later forms of silent meditation may reach the point of the spirit reaching into the universe, or the natural life force, it does not advocate separating the spirit from the body, to strengthening it with the natural forces of life and the energy of this universe.

In effect, I understand that TM is an escape to find answers and peace on another plane, while Ki breathing is the attempt to gather the living life of the universe itself.

Although the silent repose appears to be the same, the purpose and reflection to see two different planes, one in a different world, and one in this life we have today, do reflect two different ways to climb the same mountain.

Each eventually allow the user to get in touch with the body, its controls, and when properly used apply a strength beyond muscles that can only be attributed to hypnosis.

I am not going to go into the horror stories of deprivation and mind control of the early TM cults, but remember where we take these practices from, and how they are used in your training. If you use them to gain clarity, then they are working. If you become sick, or become unable to progress ... let them be.

Your physical Aikido training will eventually touch on some of these points.

Of course there are some good resources on the internet that go into meditation practices in greater depth. They might be a little deep, but wade through them and think about what comes out to be the important points.

tedehara
05-14-2002, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by njnoexit
what is the differance between transcendental meditation and ki breathing, and what are you opinions on both?
Ki breathing (http://www.maui.net/~cdc/kokyu/breathing.html) as utilized in the Ki Society, enables a person to increase their ability to relax completely by gaining control of their breath. I have heard it recommended as a good way to calm yourself down physically, then do ki meditation (http://www.maui.net/~cdc/kokyu/meditation.html) to deepen the experience.

I have never done or studied transcendental meditation(TM), so I really can't speak about it. I did know someone who alternated doing TM and ki meditation on a daily basis. He seemed to appreciate both.

Bruce correctly shows that there are other interpetations of what is going on during ki breathing. Many martial and esoteric arts have some form of abdominal breathing. So people see some apparent benefit to doing this. :cool:

SeiserL
05-15-2002, 12:19 PM
IMHO, TM is a form of mantra meditation where you become internal focused and absorbed on an auditory word or phrase boring yourself into alpha state thinking its enlightenment. Very different fro extending your ki through breathing or mediation. Try ZaZen and stay in an external flow of consciousness without internal dialogue.

Until again,

Lynn
Nidan Tenshinkai Aikido
Lucaylucay Kali JKD

Erik
05-15-2002, 01:48 PM
Actually, I use a variant of TM at times. I find that repeating a phrase allows me to focus on something which causes me to relax. It's very useful when I'm stressed and need to tune it down a bit. Kind of a mental tranquilizer.

On the other end, there's a lot of BS surrounding TM: levitation, reducing crime through meditation, etc... Strangely, it's not too unlike what we run into at times in the MA world.

Jim23
05-15-2002, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by Erik
Actually, I use a variant of TM at times. I find that repeating a phrase allows me to focus on something which causes me to relax. It's very useful when I'm stressed and need to tune it down a bit. Kind of a mental tranquilizer.

On the other end, there's a lot of BS surrounding TM: levitation, reducing crime through meditation, etc... Strangely, it's not too unlike what we run into at times in the MA world.

Mr. Erik,

Yup, you can focus on an image, a sound (by repeating it), a body part, your breath, a thought (or the spaces between the thoughts ;)), etc. I'm sure they all can work. It's leaving one's own body, connected by a cord, that I find a little far fetched - and I'm being nice.

I'm not saying that people don't imagine things or believe that strange things happen - I believe they do.

Jim23

Erik
05-15-2002, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by Jim23
Yup, you can focus on an image, a sound (by repeating it), a body part, your breath, a thought (or the spaces between the thoughts ;)), etc. I'm sure they all can work. It's leaving one's own body, connected by a cord, that I find a little far fetched - and I'm being nice.

I'm not saying that people don't imagine things or believe that strange things happen - I believe they do.

Jim, I had a real sarcastic post lined up, but for once I'll keep it to myself. I'll just say that I'm continuously amazed that the human specie progresses at all.