PDA

View Full Version : blacking out

Please visit our sponsor:

GMaroda
09-24-2010, 08:39 AM
OK, I feel really sillly asking this but is it possible to black out for a split second while taking ukemi from koshinage?

chillzATL
09-24-2010, 08:45 AM
possible sure, but certainly not normal or healthy, especially if it happens often.

WilliB
09-24-2010, 08:55 AM
OK, I feel really sillly asking this but is it possible to black out for a split second while taking ukemi from koshinage?

I have certainly heard of people blacking out for a short moment, but I donīt see what any particular throw has to do with that? If it happens to you with Koshinage (of which there are many, anyway), it could also happen at another time. Lets hope not while you are driving...

GMaroda
09-24-2010, 09:45 AM
To be fair, I don't think I was blacking out. I think I was disoriented and my vision was blocked by tori's body. But I got to thinking just how possible it would be to "pull enough Gs" from a hip throw to go out and come back before you hit the ground.

chillzATL
09-24-2010, 09:49 AM
To be fair, I don't think I was blacking out. I think I was disoriented and my vision was blocked by tori's body. But I got to thinking just how possible it would be to "pull enough Gs" from a hip throw to go out and come back before you hit the ground.

in that scenario, I'd say probably not.

Larry John
09-24-2010, 12:44 PM
Assuming your blood volume and flow are normal, I'd say the only time you could possibly generate enough G's to cause a blackout would be upon impact with the ground. And that would have to be a VERY hard landing. It's much more likely you're simply disoriented; if you never used to throw yourself around as a kid, your brain just isn't practiced at interpreting the fast-moving visual images it's perceiving.

Janet Rosen
09-24-2010, 01:56 PM
If you didn't either hit your head or experience at that moment by sheer coincidence a sudden crashing of blood sugar or blood pressure, then no, you wouldn't have actually lost consciousness.

RED
09-25-2010, 07:48 PM
That sounds super unhealthy...

Walter Martindale
09-25-2010, 08:21 PM
It is possible to knock someone out with a throw, but I think in most cases that will happen if a) someone being thrown doesn't have ukemi skills, or b) nage does a VERY hard "finish" to the throw.. (I've seen "b" happen...)
If it happens in a general practice where Nage is being relatively benign and trying to help you learn stuff, and it happens frequently, get checked...
Walter

dps
09-26-2010, 01:37 PM
Don't hold your breath.

Exhaling when being thrown.

If you have time, take a quick inhale before being thrown and extend the exhale all the way through the throw until you land.

David