PDA

View Full Version : Training on your own

Please visit our sponsor:

delliott
02-04-2010, 12:45 PM
In between classes every week, I train very hard at home on my own. I usually walk through the progressions of what I had learned in the last class I attended. I try to pay close attention to my footwork, hand placement and my center. I have the aikido 3D program which was recommended by my sensei and I love it!

I'm wondering if anyone can share what they do to train at home on their own to remember techniques. Any advice is appreciated....

Shadowfax
02-04-2010, 12:54 PM
I don't have a real good space at home to be able to do full movements in so I do more things like Tenkan, Tenkan undo, rowing, and some other little foot work exercises that sensei has shown me in class.

In order to practice full techniques I use visualization. Luckily I have a strong imagination and this works very well for me. LOL even in my imagination techniques don't always go quite right.

I also spend time learning things like meditation and how to quiet the mind in order to better feel and experience what I am learning and to weed out distractions and negative thoughts so that I can get more out of my time in the dojo when I am there.

dps
02-04-2010, 01:11 PM
In between classes every week, I train very hard at home on my own. I usually walk through the progressions of what I had learned in the last class I attended. I try to pay close attention to my footwork, hand placement and my center. I have the aikido 3D program which was recommended by my sensei and I love it!

I'm wondering if anyone can share what they do to train at home on their own to remember techniques. Any advice is appreciated....

What you are doing is what you should be doing, practicing what is taught in class.
I would be cautious about practicing anything other than what your sensei ( Mark Ultech) is teaching you.
Discuss it with him.

David

John Connolly
02-04-2010, 01:23 PM
Wrote a lil' bloggy thing about it: http://ourbadbudo.blogspot.com/2009/08/getting-most-out-of-it.html

That's what's worked well for me.

dalen7
02-04-2010, 01:27 PM

Go with the flow... :)

- I practice with my kids...
- Watch videos of my instructor and I practicing
- Read forums, etc and watch youtube clips, etc.
- Watch Aikido 3D and ponder the differences
- Train once a week with a few guys from the dojo on the side [focus on training for upcoming test as well as trying to 'feel' why a technique works or does not work]

- Cross training in Thai Boxing/MMA [though I have taken this month off... something about getting out in minus celsius weather constantly turns me off... its enough just getting out the door to the Aikido practices.] :)

Basically make it your own... you can practice your footwork - and really start pondering and making Aikido fit you. [philosophical, sport, etc.]

Peace

dAlen