PDA

View Full Version : Failure in Aikido

Please visit our sponsor:

dps
01-01-2010, 03:01 PM
Don't get discouraged by your failures at learning Aikido.

From the book; One Phone Call Away: Secrets of a Master Networker by Jeffrey Meshel

"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment." Good failure comes from trying to achieve, not quite getting there, and learning something in the process that will lead to future success."

David

Shadowfax
01-01-2010, 07:57 PM
ok.. I won't.

aikishihan
01-01-2010, 09:55 PM
Oprah Winfrey was supposedly asked about her failures. To which, the reply was, "Failures, I had none; only lessons.".

Miles Davis was heard to exclaim, "Mistakes, there are none."

The motto of the famed 442nd, in WWll, was "Go for Broke!".

The only failure I recognize, is the the failure to try.

Gambatte Kudasai!!!!!!!!!

In Oneness

Linda Eskin
01-01-2010, 09:59 PM
What you said about good judgment coming from experience, which often comes from poor judgment, is heard around horses a lot, too. :)

Here's another of my favorite quotes about "failure":

"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."
Thomas Edison

Michael Hackett
01-02-2010, 12:30 AM
And a quote attributed to Bismark, "Any fool can learn from his own mistakes. A wise man learns from the mistakes of others."

SeiserL
01-02-2010, 05:54 AM
IMHO, the only way to fail is to quit trying.

mickeygelum
01-02-2010, 03:48 PM
Aikido does not fail us, it is we who fail Aikido...
....to quote an extremely wise teacher...

...should be...

Don't get discouraged with Aikido by your failure to learn.

You only get out of Aikido, what you put into it...

Train well,

Mickey

lbb
01-02-2010, 04:44 PM
What you said about good judgment coming from experience, which often comes from poor judgment, is heard around horses a lot, too. :)

Interesting -- I first heard it in the context of backcountry activities, and immediately knew what it meant. You can learn some things by reading about them, and you can learn other things by hearing horror stories about other people...but the lessons that really sink in are the ones where your own bad judgment leads to some painful experience. Preventing blisters, knowing how much water to carry, avoiding hypothermia, getting un-lost and staying found...those are skills that I have down at this point, but there was a price to pay for the education.

dps
01-05-2010, 10:49 AM
To quote O'Sensei;

Failure is the key to success; each mistake teaches us something.

David

crbateman
01-06-2010, 10:13 AM
A failure really isn't a failure if it's treated as the birth of an opportunity to improve.

mickeygelum
01-06-2010, 09:20 PM
Aikido is a martial art, a failure to survive, negates the opportunity to improve or succeed.

If you quit, you resign to defeat, thus you do not learn anything, except oppression.

Deductive reasoning yields good judgment, trial and error fuels experiences that are retrospective.

Personally, I think many supplement their martial ineffectiveness, in relationship to Aikido, with philosophical prose and proliferate spirituality to bolster their ego.

Just my two cents,

Mickey

dps
01-07-2010, 07:17 AM
Aikido is a martial art, a failure to survive, negates the opportunity to improve or succeed

The post was about training in the dojo.

Personally, I think many supplement their martial ineffectiveness, in relationship to Aikido, with philosophical prose and proliferate spirituality to bolster their ego. [/I]

And some use martial arts to bolster their ego which is their religion.

David

mickeygelum
01-07-2010, 11:14 AM
The post was about training in the dojo.

That did not appear in the original post...

And some use martial arts to bolster their ego which is their religion.

One cannot be more delusional, if one holds this opinion...

dps
01-07-2010, 11:39 AM
That did not appear in the original post...

It was implied.

David

mickeygelum
01-07-2010, 09:34 PM
Yeah, okay...

Michael Fitzgerald
01-19-2010, 05:49 AM
And a quote attributed to Bismark, "Any fool can learn from his own mistakes. A wise man learns from the mistakes of others."

I think maybe I read that in the Bible as well. well, proverbs. but yeah-learning from others. good stuff.