PDA

View Full Version : Dojo technicalities

Please visit our sponsor:

joan
04-12-2002, 09:43 AM
Does anyone have any resources (or information) on the technicalities of running a dojo? In particular I am looking for information on what to include in overhead, sources of mats, liability insurance--anything and everything.

On the subject of mats, has anyone constructed a canvas-covered mat? Are there any plans anywhere?

It sounds like a great how-to manual (to be available in print and software) although I guess the audience would be pretty limited...

Joan

Carl Simard
04-12-2002, 11:03 AM
For a new dojo (even if I don't run or own one), the easiest and probably wisest is to rent "mat time" at a judo club, if possible. You then won't have to bother too much with all the material cost and it will give you some time to get students and see how everything is going (number of students, financial and legal aspects). It will give you an idea of how much money you can really expect to have for investing in material...

joan
04-12-2002, 11:13 AM
Thanks, Carl. We have mat space (for the past 15 years) at the local university and are contemplating moving out on our own--we train in the aerobics/dance room. The only other local MAs are tae kwon do and karate, neither of whom use mats. We do have a possible location with an owner who is willing to help purchase mats as needed. So the question is what do we need to consider in addition to equipment?

Joan