PDA

View Full Version : Learning the lesson

Please visit our sponsor:

Misogi-no-Gyo
08-26-2009, 02:10 PM
Questioning the teachings
Recently I chose to stand up to a poster on this website who was personally defaming a teacher with whom he had no personal interactions. He continued to post inaccurate information in a most derogatory tone. I respectfully and privately requested that the owner of this site close the discussion, sending the following private message
Jun-San,

Nothing positive seems to be developing in the "Seagal is a Jerk" thread. My feeling is that what it has now become takes away from the art of Aikido, and most certainly lowers the quality of the AikiWeb forum section.

I understand that Seagal Sensei is more of a public figure due to his movies. However, I do have to wonder were it another 7th Dan Aikido instructor being unnecessarily torn apart based completely on the absence of any factual material or even personal interaction, would the thread been allowed to proceed this far.

I, for one, request that the thread be locked.

Thank you for your time and consideration of my personal request.

Best regards,
Shaun Ravens in NY

My request was completely ignored. There was not even the personal decency to respond as to his reasons why he felt the . the thread should be allowed to continue.

Left with the choice of allowing this irrational person to continue to unnecessarily defame and malign, or to make outlandish statements that would finally put an end to a most disrespectful rant on a world-renown, well-respected master level teacher, I chose the latter. I was then personally attacked by this misanthrope which resulted in the thread finally being closed. This also resulted in me being immediately banned from further posting. However, the original poster of the offensive and derogatory material did not face the same ban.

Observing the lesson
This is Jun's website to do with as he pleases. I personally feel that when the rules are not applied equally to all, then there is a disparity that can and does seem to unjust. I do believe that the time has arrived where moderators should be appointed to this site.The administrator has clearly indicated an inability to impartially moderate the forums along with an unwillingness to actually deal with the people on a personal level. Again, this is his website and that is his right. I am not protesting his rights to be the all powerful oz when it comes to deciding who should post what and where and when...

It does beckon the thought though, had is been the administrators teacher posters chose to malign, I wonder how long it would have taken for the thread to have been closed or even for it to be mysteriously deleted like several other threads I anonymously created over the years questioning just this type of uneven treatment of people here on AikiWeb. Many times whole sections of threads were hacked out and moved without question or discussion on the administrators whim. Again, this is his website and that is his right.

Acknowledging the teachings
I wanted to take a moment and thank everyone for their willingness to share their ideas here on AikiWeb. I enjoyed taking in the myriad of perspectives I encountered. I have managed to have learned to allow them to shape my own ideas or when in contrast to my own, sharpen my thoughts on the issues being discussed or debated. Those who know me personally know that I have always been a very private person by nature. Through my participation here I have been challenged on many levels. I have always appreciated those who chose to step up and do so whether it was on matters of training, spirituality, human nature or the my overall direction and perspective. My participation in these web forums has encouraged and allowed me to reflect deeply on many levels. I can say with sincerity that I have grown in many ways. I have many fond memories of conversations that many on the outside would think contentious, but that I found invigorating and thought provoking.

Observing the Teacher
During the five days when I was not permitted to participate I chose to take a step back and meditate on why I participate and what I wanted my participation to manifest for myself and hopefully others. I also had the chance to ponder what my teachers would do in this circumstance. As it turns out, I am very clear on both of those points. As to the former, I was able to polish my way of thinking and writing and take the time to consider many other viewpoints over long periods of time. As to the latter, and what my teacher's would do, that was even easier to decipher, because all I needed to do was look out and take notice that none of them are members of any sort of Internet Forum community. They seem to be doing just fine on their own. As is only natural, one must always choose to step out from under the shadow of their teacher. That doesn't mean they don't choose to acknowledge the many contributions, but that they stand out on their own. With that in mind, I would like to acknowledge that I have learned much from you all. I offer a sincere, "Thank you all" for your thoughts, energy and spirit. I will take the many lessons I have learned forward with me and continue to draw from my experience here on AikiWeb

Becoming the lesson
I am most appreciative to have had the chance to contribute over the last seven plus years. However, as of this post I will no longer be participating in, further contributing to nor reading the contents this website.

If anyone would like to remain in contact, please feel free to contact me via my personal email address found at the NY Aikido Center website.

Best in training and in life to you all...

thisisnotreal
08-26-2009, 02:48 PM
Hi Shaun, I learned a lot from you as well.
As a card-carrying member of the peanut gallery; i don't know why, but i felt it was really important that you go to meet with Dan. I don't know why..maybe it's the spidey sense kicking in. I only mention that because i felt so strongly...and didn't want it to go unsaid.

The interweb is a bizarre place. It is not uncommon to get 'drive by'd' on the internet superhighway.

i guess if the bad outweighs the good; then everything is clear though.
Best to you, and Thank You,
Josh P.

ninjaqutie
08-26-2009, 04:11 PM
:(

gdandscompserv
08-26-2009, 04:37 PM
I have found it helpful to NOT take myself very seriously. Nobody cares what I think, so that's not really hard to do.:D

akiy
08-26-2009, 07:07 PM
Hi folks,

I have moved the two posts regarding Steven Seagal into the now closed thread regarding him. Please start a new thread rather than using this thread if you wish to talk about him.

Thanks,

-- Jun

Janet Rosen
08-26-2009, 07:23 PM
To some degree I'm with Ricky on this. I try to make my point as concisely as I can. I may repost in order to clarify something that I feel I did not express well. But other people's opinions and attitudes are outside my control. I have no obligation, much less any capacity, to make anybody understand my point of view.

phitruong
08-26-2009, 07:32 PM
borrowing a zen story:

The Prime Minister of the Tang Dynasty was a national hero for his success as both a statesman and military leader. But despite his fame, power, and wealth, he considered himself a humble and devout Buddhist. Often he visited his favorite Zen master to study under him, and they seemed to get along very well. The fact that he was prime minister apparently had no effect on their relationship, which seemed to be simply one of a revered master and respectful student.

One day, during his usual visit, the Prime Minister asked the master, "Your Reverence, what is egotism according to Buddhism?" The master's face turned red, and in a very condescending and insulting tone of voice, he shot back, "What kind of stupid question is that!?"

This unexpected response so shocked the Prime Minister that he became sullen and angry. The Zen master then smiled and said, "THIS, Your Excellency, is egotism."