PDA

View Full Version : Anybody worked with dance teacher Steve Paxton?

Please visit our sponsor:

Nicholas Eschenbruch
08-24-2009, 01:36 AM
A friend recently showed me a DVD "Material for the Spine" by dance teacher Steve Paxton, who seems to have a 40-year association with aikido as well. I was really fascinated, there were loads of interesting connections with aikido movement, implicit and explicit, and I just wanted to know whether anybody here has done more in-depth work with this material, or with Paxton himself? What were your impressions, was it useful for your aikido, and in what way? Would be great to hear about experiences, on the forums or via pm.

Thanks

N

ninjaqutie
08-24-2009, 10:24 AM
I can't talk about that person in particular, but I used to dance a bit and I think it helped me a tiny bit (as far as flexibility goes for taking ukemi and being light on my feet). I do know that sensei goes to a theatre once or twice a year and works on aikido with the dancers and actors though. Apparently they feel it helps them. :)

jbblack
08-24-2009, 12:03 PM
Steve is the originator of a dance form called - Contact Improv. It features a lot of improv moves using body movements much like Aikido. I have done a workshop with Steve and worked quite a bit with Nancy Stark Smith when I lived back East. I found my aikido moves improved with the contact improv and my dance improved from the aikido. All in all a nice balance.

Cheers,
Jeff

Pauliina Lievonen
08-24-2009, 12:58 PM
I've "danced" a couple of times with contact improv people, that is, they danced and I basically did aikido without insisting on the throws. Worked pretty well and was a lot of fun! :)

kvaak
Pauliina