PDA

View Full Version : Considering Aikido

Please visit our sponsor:

Sennover
02-18-2002, 04:08 PM
Hello. I'm new to this forum and to Aikido in general.

I'm here to ask a probably frequent question: I'm considering in starting Aikido next fall.

Now the only knowledge I have on Aikido is on what I had read before when studying a bit on japanese history and on sites like yours here on the internet. I've visited one dojo once in my local area, but all they did really show was fighting technics you learn in Aikido.

Now, I've done a few years of Jujitsu before. But I quited it because I really didn't the whole competition and figthing idea behind the art.

What I was looking for was a martial art that didn't put that much into competition, nore into the fighting and beating your oponent. I would've probably started Capoeira (brazilian dancing) as it did meet up to my demands. No real fighting, and more search of communication between the two players and disciplin. I couldn't start it then because I had a to heavy scedual allready.

During this year I've studied Japan a bit. And more recently the fall of the shogunat and all that period between 1800-1941. There I discovered the creation of several martial arts and I must say that Aikido looked intersting.

I'm almost 18 now and I'll probably start training in my campus, where it's cheap and fits with my classes.

If I'm looking for Aikido it's for those reasons:
- I want to learn some fighting, but I don't really like to fight
- I need some sort of "meditation" to try to control myself a bit more
- I'm interested in japanese culture, customs and philosophy
- I really need to start working out as I'm stiff as a stick.
(this was just my personnal story, the real question only comes now. Sorry)

I was really wondering about your personnal experience when starting Aikido and how difficult it was for you to get into it, how long you've been practising it and all that stuff. Especialy if it demands a lot of dedication (I'm shure that I can give at least two hours a week in the start, but do I need more?)

Hope you guys didn't get to anoyed by my little personnal dilema and mind answering me.

Thnx. :ai: :ki: :do: :p
Senn.

lt-rentaroo
02-18-2002, 05:24 PM
Hello,

I first began training in Aikido while in college. Originally, I was looking for a Kendo dojo, but the closest one was over 50 miles away. I came across an Aikido dojo, they also did some Iaido which also interested me. I visited the class, and decided to sign up. The classes were only held twice a week, but fit in nicely with my school and work schedule.

So, it seems you're in a similar position to the one I was in long ago. Beginning Aikido wasn't hard, and the few hours a week I was able to train provided me with the needed escape from school and work I was looking for (great stress relief).

You can become as dedicated to Aikido as you want to. Some folks dedicate their whole lives to the study of Aikido (a few even post here), and others train as often as possible, but lead lives away from the dojo. You get out of Aikido what you put into it, just like everything else. Training a few days a week is better than not training at all.

I hope I've helped and not hurt :confused:

shadow
02-18-2002, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by Sennover

Aikido will do all these things for you, as well as instilling personal confidence, helping you overcome your fears and giving you the desire to be strong (not strength in terms of muscles, but strength in all aspects....including mental). Well it did these things for me anyways.

I was really wondering about your personnal experience when starting Aikido and how difficult it was for you to get into it, how long you've been practising it and all that stuff. Especialy if it demands a lot of dedication (I'm shure that I can give at least two hours a week in the start, but do I need more?)

It wasn't at all difficult to get into, except feeling like an absolute idiot trying to do all these weird movements that look so easy to everyone else....this only lasts a month or so (in the basic sense, I still feel like an idiot at times! hahaha). I find the aikido crowd are generally a nice bunch, and when you first begin, sempai (senior students) will train to your level and throw you as hard as you are comfortable with falling, it increases as your skill increases. I started at the age of 18, and have now been doing it for almost two years. When I first started it was just one class a week in my tracksuit pants and a t-shirt. It wasn't long however before I was there 3 times a week, and now 4! But one class a week is good to start with, I think. As for the dedication, well you only get out as much as you put in....

Hope you guys didn't get to anoyed by my little personnal dilema and mind answering me.

not at all....I'm sure I asked the same questions when I started too. I think.....

Dean H.
02-18-2002, 07:32 PM

Senn,

I am fairly new to Aikido myself, but I wanted to let you know that, in my opinion, any start is better than no start. On the other hand, sometimes I only get to train once a week and that is frustrating. If you try Aikido and like it, I suspect you will soon begin to reorder your schedule for more training time. If you are honest with yourself about your priorities, you should have a great time when ever you get to train.

Enjoy,
Dean
:triangle: :circle: :square:

guest1234
02-18-2002, 09:18 PM
There's nothing I can add to what the guys have already said, they are much more in a position to answer things from your point of view. I just want to wish you luck in school, and hopefully in Aikido...or in what ever you find that fills your needs (most of us here would bet Aikido will do that!)

dc20
02-18-2002, 10:28 PM
Sounds like you've got two questions. "Should I start studying aikido?" Answer: yes. I have been studying for about six months, and am thoroughly hooked. You will love it. Your second question, "What's it like to be a brand-new beginner?" Answer: It's great. And frustrating. And it's great. And it's awkward. Did I mention it's great? If you love to learn and grow, you will love aikido. There's always more to learn...kinda like life, which I'm also rather fond of. Find a good, friendly dojo, and dive in.

Dave

MaylandL
02-19-2002, 01:48 AM
If I'm looking for Aikido it's for those reasons:

I think you will really enjoy aikido if this is want to get out of it. From a practical perspective, aikido can be a used for self defence. I had an incident last year when I got surprised while taking the garbage out and some one wanted to punch my lights out. Aikido allowed me to evade and deflect the attack. In the end he ran off and no one was hurt. Aikido teaches how to control a situation in the first few seconds before its really gets out of hand. Aikido gives you options without resorting to fighting but at the same time allowing you to protect yourself from getting hurt.

I hope you will give it a try and see whether you like it. Best of luck.

ChrisDuSCAMB
02-19-2002, 03:11 AM
Welcome Seb in this forum and in Aikido.

I'm praticing Aikido since 4 years ago.
I started near the same condition as you, except I started Aikido after my studies.
When I was a student, I hadn't no enough money and time for the martial art practice, even if I was attracted by them.

When I began to work, I decided that I wanted to practice a martial art and my wife would like to practice with me. So I searched an art where there is no competition and where the martial art philosophy is respected. I eliminated the Judo and the Karate because for me, I think that they are, today, more a sport than a martial art and it is difficult to practice with my wife at the same level.

I get information on several martial arts thanks to internet, and in my research, I found that there was a dojo near my town where Aikido was learned. I didn't know very well what Aikido is. We decided to see a course in the dojo. It was fantastic :blush:. We were impressed by the fluidity of the movement, the lack of strength. Another point that we push us to the Aikido practice, was that all practitioner type was represented on the mats. Men, Women, strong, thin, young, aged, and so on. After the course when the teacher and several students cames to discuss with us and transmit us their Aikido love. I say: "This is the martial art that I search".

Since, I practice at least twice a week, according to my schedule which is very loaded, I'm trying to go to the Aikido meeting the week-end, and when I can, I'm going to visit and practice in others dojos.
Unfortunaly, my wife was force herself to stop temporary the Aikido. In the "Training" section" of the AikiWeb site, there is an article named "How much ?" where the author recommends to train 3 times a week, more, he said that it is useless because the body is tired and the hurt risks grow. I'm agree with him. I advice you to train at least 2 times or 3 if you can. Sometimes, try to go in the meetings and others dojos for seeing other way to do a technic and meet others trainers. It is very interesting.
But, especially, I think that Aikido is not only in the dojo. Aikido principles can be applied at any time and anywhere in your today's life.

Bye
:p

JJF
02-19-2002, 05:21 AM
Hi Senn

Welcome to this forum. I started out with karate, went on to Kendo and I quit both MA's since I have a view upon fighthing and competing that is somewhat similar to yours. This is why I stick to Aikido. Been doing it for about 3 years now. I just love it. What I can tell you is this: I can only practice once a week except for a two or three seminars a year where I get three to five days of practice at once. It's not as much as I could wish, but it far far better than NOT going. It teaches me a valuable lesson when I see new members quickly surpass me in skill since they can practise 4 or 5 days a week, but I'm a dad and I have a job to take care of. These things takes time, and I must fit Aikido in as best I can. It's not ideal, but it's still great.

So yes! once a week can be great - as long as you don't expect to progress as fast as others. On the other hand, one thing you can be sure of in Aikido is, that there will ALWAYS be someone who can teach you something new.
I hope you'll give it a try, and that you will enjoy it as much as I do.

Sennover
02-19-2002, 08:56 AM
Well thanks a lot you guys for your replies. They've been a lot more helpful than I though they could be.

I've allready schedueled a day in two weeks to the campus I'm going to next year, so I'll probably try to visist the Aikido dojo over there.

If I start practising Aikido, it'll be in the begining of September, so I'll probably hang out more often here afterewards.

Thanks again.

Senn.

ndiegel
02-21-2002, 08:17 PM
Just a tip before you start: Don't go in there thinking that you'll come out with skills right away. It takes time. I think that it has been said many times that Aikido is the hardest martial art ever (the best can't be the easiest, can it? ;)). If you go into class with good intentions to have fun, and learn, you can't go wrong.

Noah