PDA

View Full Version : To tie the belt...

Please visit our sponsor:

Daniel Brandt
02-11-2002, 03:02 PM
I know this sounds stupid and all but I really canīt get my belt right... I am training Aikdio in Malmö and have just (finally!) bought my own training suit - the only problem is that the belt looks downright wrong... Does anyone out there know somewhere where the process is shown with pictures or something? :freaky:

deepsoup
02-11-2002, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by Daniel Brandt
I know this sounds stupid and all but I really canīt get my belt right... I am training Aikdio in Malmö and have just (finally!) bought my own training suit - the only problem is that the belt looks downright wrong... Does anyone out there know somewhere where the process is shown with pictures or something? :freaky:

Its easy to demonstrate and difficult to describe. So really, it would be much better to get someone at the dojo to show you how, anybody with a little more experience should be very happy to oblige.

Sean
x

JJF
02-12-2002, 05:16 AM
I still remember getting my first Gi (many years back when I took Karate). You would allways be the laughing stock when you got a Gi and everybody would watch you struggle with the belt. Eventually someone felt sorry for you and showed you how to tie it.

Fortunately I had been watching my friends getting their gi's before me, so it came pretty easy to me. Now for many years I have been tying my belt the same way, until recently when my instructor told me, that it was wrong, and showed me how it should be. It was a valuable lesson. I had for a while begun to be too proud of myself and my progres, so being corrected on such a minor issue was a bit of an eyeopener. I seem to get these types of experiences now and then and they are very effective in creating a humble spirit.

In conclusion: there is not ONE way to tie a belt. Each Martial Art have its array of ways to tie a belt. Each dojo has a row of variances and some dojo's don't care while other think of it as a big deal.

Like Sean I recommend askin a senior. However if you feel to embaressed to do that just come to Denmark and ask me. I will be happy to show you how we do it here in our dojo :D

Daniel Brandt
02-12-2002, 06:54 AM
Thanks for the swift and wise replies!

Well, let's see how big a fool I will make of myself tonight then! :p Again thanks!

Greg Jennings
02-12-2002, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by Daniel Brandt

Here is the process I use:

1. Start with the belt on your right hip. Leave approx. the amount that be outside the knot hanging down.

2. Wrap the obi to the left. Go around twice. The second time around should be on top of the first "layer".

3. Go to the point that the original loose part comes out from under the two layers. Loop the remaining end under _both_ layers. You now have half of a square knot.

4. Adjust (it always to the left for me) till the half square knot is centered in front. Make any other necessary adjustments.

5. Use the "tails" to finish off the square knot.

If you've done this correctly, you'll have a square knot that won't jam and is open to the left in the traditional manner.

---

Another method:

1. Place the middle of the obi centered in front.

2. Loop each end around once (at the same time).

3. At the front, cross the right side _over_ the left side and under all the layers.

4. You're back to the "half a square knot" point.

This method leave a "X" in the obi in the middle of your back.

It isn't as neat, but it leaves a wider/thinner belt in the lower back. It works better for some folks.

Best,

jimvance
02-12-2002, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by Greg Jennings
...If you've done this correctly, you'll have a square knot that won't jam and is open to the left in the traditional manner...I put on my obi starting on the left and it is open on the right...? I didn't know open to the left was traditional.

Jim Vance

JJF
02-13-2002, 03:08 AM
Very nice description Greg!
I use the method no. 1 since i've heard that it is concidered more 'tidy' than no. 2, which I used before. I've also been told that some dojo's concidere method no. 2 to be a 'female' way of tying the obi - but I have no proof of this.

Some dojo's make it a big issue that the knot should be tied big and very flat - others incourages one to tie a small knot. The first is better when you lie flat on your stomack - the latter results in a 'tighter' knot that are not quite as likely to untie during training.

Another aspect of tying the obi is what to do with the 'ends'. Many dojo's just leave them dangling' out there. Other ask you to take them up and under the obi once more in order to direct them back and away from your front. Currently I tuck them in between the two layers of the obi, so that I have no ends dangling. Instead I have three layers of belt allmost all around the waist. This seems less important if you wear a hakama, but it is nice to have them tucked (sp. ?) away when you are a 'whitie' like me :)

I have no idea what is the 'correct' way - if there is such a thing. I do what I've been told when I'm in my home dojo or on a seminar and when visiting i follow the 'when in Rome' principle if I get the impression that it matters.

What a lot of rambling on a small subject. Don't ask me about anything important ;)

Edward
02-14-2002, 11:45 AM
Hi!

I coincidentally found this page on internet. Does any one know this kind of knot, it seems super complicated :freaky:

Cheers,
Edward

http://www.aikidoschule-basel.ch/deutsch/indexd.htm

Daniel Brandt
02-15-2002, 04:25 AM
Thank you... I think I got it now. Also my favourite "master" (this ia a little bit like Jedi-training, isnīt it :rolleyes:) showed me how ro finish the "knot" for it to look correctly... Awesome! Itīs only so frustrating when you know the whole thing look wrong, but you donīt know how to make it right.

Well, Iīm sure my knots will look even better with time. Thanks for your help, guys! The friendlyness around here is really amazing :)

JJF
02-15-2002, 04:58 AM
Actually - a new belt is in my opinion harder to tie than a good old used one, which over the time has been folded and tied so often that the fabric is more likely to bend the right places, but maybe i'm mistaken.

ranZ
02-17-2002, 03:02 AM
maybe some visual might help more.
(* it did for me :) *)

ndiegel
02-21-2002, 08:20 PM
My teacher explained this to me as, "Right over left, left over right." Having some previous experience with martial arts, I got it right away.

Noah

kFc
02-23-2002, 12:47 AM
For those of us who were scouts when we were younger the belt knot is a good old reef knot.