PDA

View Full Version : Supplemental Software OR DVDs

Please visit our sponsor:

JamesC
06-25-2008, 05:18 PM
I was browsing through the other thread and noticed someone recommend the Aikido 3D software.

I've only been training a few months and one of my biggest problems at the moment is my footwork. Are there any DVDs that you guys can recommend for someone who is still very new to it?

I'm also very interested in the Aikido 3D software. It seems great. My only reservation is that I might not be able to get exactly what's going on while watching the 3D software. I haven't done much research on the software yet. Is it safe to assume that it can be just as easily used for beginners?

Jennifer Yabut
06-25-2008, 08:37 PM
Learning footwork, like everything else in Aikido (or any other martial art) takes, practice, practice...and more practice...before it gets "burned" into your body memory. Be patient with yourself; you will eventually get it. :)

I've heard good things about the Aikido 3D software, but have no personal experience with it. Since footwork is something you can practice on your own at home (I practice taisabaki on my kitchen floor), perhaps you could play the software on your monitor and try to emulate the movements the best you can. And don't hesitate to ask your sensei or sempai if there is something you're still not getting. As you pointed out in the thread title, Aikido 3D and other software/videos are simply a SUPPLEMENT to your training - not a SUBSTITUTE for your sensei. ;)

Good luck and happy training! :ai:

mickeygelum
06-25-2008, 09:40 PM
Mr Cavin....Who is your Sensei?

Train well,

Mickey

JamesC
06-26-2008, 12:06 AM
Thanks for the tips Jennifer. :)

Michael, my sensei is Jason Moreland.

dalen7
07-12-2008, 10:57 AM
I purchased the Aikido 3D software about a year ago and like it a lot.

If your a beginner, I would recommend it over dvds (or supplement it with dvds/videos).

The reason being is:
- you can slow it down
- change viewing angle (top, side and follow)
I usually use the top and then side and lastly I follow. :)
- you can take off the hakama on uke and/or nage so that you can better see the leg movment (white gi pants shown), or you can leave it on.
- it shows radials to show focus on center point (cool but havent used that much.)
- it gives the option to see the foot movement.
i.e., it leaves red feet prints behind so you can analyze the steps.
(Wouldnt get to hung up on this, as it does vary how people step...but it may indeed help you in the beginning.)

So in short, this seems to be better suited for beginners than a dvd which shows only one view. As you can see its a lot more flexible.

You can choose by technique, attack, or grading level.
Its pretty comprehensive, you may find a thing or two missing depending on what your grading schedule includes.

It includes written commentary (small, but there for the techniques), as well as an option to listen to instructions on how to execute technique when watching in real time. (again, slow motion will not give you verbal instructions for the obvious reason that your busy analyzing whats happening instead of following.)

Once you start getting the gist of the basics, then DVDs make more sense...you kind of know what they are doing and can fill in the gaps for what your brain is not seeing in the video.

Anyway, hope this helps...if you get it, let me know what you think.

Peace

dAlen

- though it would be nice if someone would break out the steps and put it into video or in the Aikido 3D software training program.

i.e.,
Irimi
Irimi Tenkan
Ushiro Tenkan
Tankai Ashi
Kaiten Ashi
Tsugi Ashi
Ayumi Ashi
Tai Sabaki :)

but then again, from what I have seen, people have different ways to do the techniques listed...and even call it by different names. :)

BrianAlberton
08-05-2008, 08:43 PM
I've browsed youtube looking up various techniques. I was doing so out of curiosity more than studying, but I've noticed my Irimi Nage has improved based on a few I saw.

It's far from a comprehensive solution and there's a fair bit of sifting to do (quality of vids, the right angles, possible variations in naming conventions, fakes, etc), but it's a thought.

Garth Jones
08-06-2008, 06:54 AM
A number of senior instructors have done 'basics' tapes/DVDs, including Yamada, Chiba, Saotome, Mary Heiny, Akira Tohei (may not be available any longer), Ikeda Sensei, and so on. George Ledyard has a series of very affordable and very helpful DVDs as well. Also, there are many DVDs on ukemi (Donovan Waite and Ellis Amdur come to mind), weapons (Saotome and Ledyard Senseis) and various specialty topics such as koshi (Ikeda Sensei).

Many of these, along with Aikido 3D are available through Bujin Design. Mary Heiny Sensei's DVD and pretty much the entire collection of books and DVDs from Saotome Sensei are available through www.aiki.com and I'm sure that Chiba and Yamada Senseis' stuff can be gotten through their organizations.

Films of O'Sensei and other older footage from Japan are available from Aikido Journal.

That's just what I can think of off the top of my head - there is much more out there.

Hope this helps,
Garth