PDA

View Full Version : Dojo rules in Japanese?

Please visit our sponsor:

Tim Griffiths
01-22-2002, 08:33 AM
Does anyone have a link to (or care to translate;) ) O-sensei's rules for aikido practice in Japanese (romanji, kana or kanji is
fine)?

Ta,

Tim

Peter Goldsbury
02-06-2002, 04:55 AM
Originally posted by Tim Griffiths
Does anyone have a link to (or care to translate;) ) O-sensei's rules for aikido practice in Japanese (romanji, kana or kanji is
fine)?

Ta,

Tim

Here is the Japanese text of each 'rule' followed by the hiragana text. An English translation appears in Kisshomaru Ueshiba's "Aikido".

「合気道練習上の心得」
あいきどうれんしゅうじょうのこころえ

一、 合気道は一撃克く死命を制するものなるを以て練習に際しては指導者の教示を守り、徒に 力を競うべからず。
いち、あいきどうはいちげきよくしめいをせいするものなるをもってれんしゅうにさいし てはしどうしゃのきょうじをまもり、いたずらにちからをきそうべからず。

二、 合気道は一を以て万に当たるの道なれば常に前方のみならず四方八方に対せる心掛けを以 て錬磨するを要す。
に、あいきどうはいちをもってまんをあたるのみちなればつねにぜんぽうのみならずしほ うはっぽうにたいせるこころがけをもってれんまするをようす。

三、 練習は常に愉快に実施するを要す。
さん、れんしゅうはつねにゆかいにじっしするをようす。

四、 指導者の教導は僅かに其の一端を教うるに過ぎず、之が活用の妙は自己の不断の練習に依り初めて体得し得るものとす。
よん、しどうしゃのきょうどうはわずかにそのいったんをおしうるにすぎず、これがかつ ようのみょうはじこのふだんのれんしゅうによりはじめてたいとくしうるものとす。

五、 日々の練習に際しては先ず体の変化より始め逐次強度を高め身体に無理を生ぜしめざるを 要す。然る時は如何なる老人といえども身体に故障を生ずる事なく愉快に練習を続け鍛錬 の目的を達する事を得べし。
ご、ひびのれんしゅうにさいしてはまずからだのへんかよりはじめちくじきょうどをたか めしんたいにむりをしょうぜしめざるをようす。しかるときはいかなるろうじんといえど もしんたいにこしょうをしょうずることなくゆかいにれんしゅうをつづけたんれんのもく てきをたっすることをうべし。

六、 合気道は心身を鍛錬し至誠の人を作るを目的とし、また技はことごとく秘伝なるを以て徒 に他人に公開し或は市井無頼の徒の悪用を避くべし。
ろく、あいきどうはしんしんをたんれんししせいのひとをつくるをもくてきとし、またわ ざはことごとくひでんなるをもっていたずらにたにんにこうかいしあるいはしせいぶらい のいたずらのあくようをさくべし。

Best regards,

Tim Griffiths
02-06-2002, 06:48 AM
Peter, thank you very much, that's wonderful.

Tim

Kami
02-07-2002, 03:56 AM
Originally posted by Tim Griffiths
If one makes a distinction between the dojo and the battlefield, or being in your bedroom or in public, then when the time comes there will be no opportunity to make amends.
Tim

YAMANTAKA : Hey, Tim! I like that quote! It's yours or from somebody else?
bEST

Tim Griffiths
02-07-2002, 04:59 AM
That's not mine, it's from Yamamoto Tsunetomo's 'Hagakure'. A 17th-century nutbar
if ever there was one, and just the kind of guy to not make a distinction between his bedroom and being in public.

Another quote from him: "People who say that killing is distasteful are weak in spirit. I recently went to the execution grounds to try my hand at beheading, and I found the experience quite exhilarating".

I can imaging all these out-of-work retainers lining up to practice cutting off heads. Maybe we could try that now - give all the MacNinjas with their 'sharpened-iaito-of-death' something to think about.

Tim