PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Would "aikidoka" be something you might call yourself?

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb System
01-06-2002, 12:01 AM
AikiWeb Poll for the week of January 6, 2002:

Would "aikidoka" be something you might call yourself?

I don't do aikido
Yes
No

Here are the current results (http://www.aikiweb.com/polls/results.html?poll_id=94).

Musashi
01-06-2002, 12:08 AM
Wow, first on a thread, what timing...heh heh
In the definition as I understand it, yes, I consider myself an aikidoka.
Although I teach aikido I am still in my mind a student and even more so a beginner.
Just as the practitioners of Judo are Judoka, I as a practitioner of Aikido am an Aikidoka.

Seems like a pretty straight forward question.

Keep training :ai:

Anthony

Greg Jennings
01-06-2002, 08:09 AM
Originally posted by Musashi

Just as the practitioners of Judo are Judoka, I as a practitioner of Aikido am an Aikidoka.

Seems like a pretty straight forward question.

This has come up several times on Aikido-L and I believe recently on E-Budo.

If I remember correctly, the ka suffix is more accurately used to denote a professional in a given field.

Perhaps Jun will post and give us a native speaker's perspective

Errata: The relevant E-Budo post is by Chris Li in the "Here a Soke, There a Soke..." thread in the "Koryu: History and Tradition" forum. Chris, from my perspective at least, is a walking dictionary of Japanese.

Regards,

mruk4u
01-06-2002, 01:43 PM
Hi,

I really don't know what the term Aikidoka means on any official -translation of Japanese into English- level??? But, to me, on an purely unofficial translation level...it means 'serious Aikido student'...meaning somebody who goes along to classes, quite as frequently as they can possibly make it(meaning, at least, once or twice per week, or, more)...but, that definition, I'm afraid, still doesn't include me, yet...but, who knows, maybe, one day it will??? Or, at least, I'm certainly hoping so...