PDA

View Full Version : Training Solo?

Please visit our sponsor:

Thomas Cross
10-23-2007, 09:50 AM
I think this topic has been covered before but I give it another go.
My schedule prevents me from training at the dojo as much as I need to.I would like to know how effective(and possible) it would be to train alone.
Finding a training partner outside the dojo has proven difficult given my schedule also...any suggestions?Thanks.

Janet Rosen
10-23-2007, 12:05 PM
Weapons kata and any footwork/movement/breathing patterns you have learned, focusing on coordinating movement and breath - slow solo stuff like this lets you experiment with using different muscles and weight shifting patterns to accomplish the same task, which let's you slowly figure out how to move more economically and smoothly.

Thomas Cross
10-23-2007, 12:48 PM
Thanks for the suggestion,I will give that a try.

Pierre Kewcharoen
10-25-2007, 01:26 PM
Yeah when I actually have free time to myself, I practice footwork/kata just enough to prevent me from getting rusty.

Conrad Gus
10-25-2007, 03:34 PM
I do stretching, weapons suburi (repetitive cutting, or tsuki), weapons kata, and meditation. I also practice aikido techniques with an imaginary partner -- it begins to get sort of taichi-ish!

After my nidan test next month, I'm going to try to pick up Sugawara Sensei's aikido taichi form (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yp0s6vxD1vQ).

Qatana
10-25-2007, 07:34 PM
My sensei told us that this is why he studied tai chi, because he wanted more training time other than mat time. He very strongly recommends it for solo training.
I find that they complement each other beautifully, and I *am* developing some kind of internal sense.

xuzen
10-25-2007, 10:53 PM
I think this topic has been covered before but I give it another go.
My schedule prevents me from training at the dojo as much as I need to.I would like to know how effective(and possible) it would be to train alone.
Finding a training partner outside the dojo has proven difficult given my schedule also...any suggestions?Thanks.

1) sledge-hammer the tractor tyre
2) running in knee deep snow/water
3) fireman lift wife/girl-friend up the stairs
4) heave and lift old tyres
5) listen to "eye of the tiger" song while doing all these....

Boon.