PDA

View Full Version : The rank of Shiran

Please visit our sponsor:

Jacques
12-09-2001, 01:59 PM
Hi there

Has any of you people heard of the rank of Shiran? I know Kancho, Soke, Shihan, Renshi, etc., but our previous instructor called himself Shiran.

Can anybody please tell me if such a rank exists and what it means because I have never read anywhere about it.

Thanks
Jacques

Greg Jennings
12-09-2001, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by Jacques

Has any of you people heard of the rank of Shiran?

I've never heard of it. Jun speaks Nihongo fluently; he could probably give you a better answer.

Regards,

PeterR
12-09-2001, 04:09 PM
Sounds like someone misheard something somewhere.

Either Jacques or his previous instructor.

darin
12-09-2001, 08:44 PM
shiran is often used as a short way of saying shiranai which means "I don't know". It also means a bletilla. Some kind of plant I guess. I have an electronic dictionary on my desk.

akiy
12-10-2001, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by Jacques
Has any of you people heard of the rank of Shiran?
Nope.
I know Kancho, Soke, Shihan, Renshi, etc., but our previous instructor called himself Shiran.
Japanese people won't refer to themselves as sensei, shihand, kancho, soke, or whatever as referring to their "rank". The only time they'll do so is if the term describes what they do as in, "Hi, I'm Yamada. I'm a teacher." Never would they say, "Hi, I'm Yamada sensei."

-- Jun

Jacques
12-10-2001, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by akiy

Nope.

Hi Jun
Thanks for such a short answer.
[b]
Japanese people won't refer to themselves as sensei, shihand, kancho, soke, or whatever as referring to their "rank". The only time they'll do so is if the term describes what they do as in, "Hi, I'm Yamada. I'm a teacher." Never would they say, "Hi, I'm Yamada sensei."

-- Jun

I have heard this as well. Thanks for your reply.

Jacques