PDA

View Full Version : Aikido in Daily Life/ Attack-tics

Please visit our sponsor:

mathewjgano
09-29-2007, 07:44 PM
Has anyone read this book? If so, what are your thoughts on it? I've just begun to read it, but interesting so far.

Conrad Gus
09-30-2007, 01:45 PM
I can't say I loved the book. I read somewhere that the whole "Attack-tics" concept was forced on Terry Dobson by the publisher who wanted something catchy.

I also feel like it doesn't really have that much to do with Aikido beyond just the idea of peaceful resolution of conflict. There is a very rich and successful exploration of this concept in the Nonviolent Communication (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nonviolent_communication) movement.

Reading books is good, but I think I gave away my copy of that one in particular and wouldn't bother paying $25 for another one.

Aikibu
09-30-2007, 02:20 PM
Well I have the exact opposite take on the book. Though the terminology is a bit dated this book is an important part of my training. I first read it over 20 years ago and it kicked started my interest in Aikido.

The book inspires me to practice Aikido every day in every way. :)

William Hazen

mathewjgano
09-30-2007, 06:03 PM
I can't say I loved the book. I read somewhere that the whole "Attack-tics" concept was forced on Terry Dobson by the publisher who wanted something catchy.

I also feel like it doesn't really have that much to do with Aikido beyond just the idea of peaceful resolution of conflict. There is a very rich and successful exploration of this concept in the Nonviolent Communication (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nonviolent_communication) movement.

Reading books is good, but I think I gave away my copy of that one in particular and wouldn't bother paying $25 for another one.

In the edition I have, the preface describes a bit how the "attacktics system" was suggested by the publisher to bolster popularity/sales. Part of what I've found interesting so far is the idea of metaphorical application of such things as the sangen no hosuku. What I've liked most so far is the idea of conflict as essential to life. I think it does a good job of providing a nice persepective on the nature of conflict and illustrating some issues people might have in daily life.