PDA

View Full Version : Video: My Favorite Aikido Test

Please visit our sponsor:

Roy Dean
09-17-2007, 12:40 PM
Perhaps my favorite test of all time: my instructor, Julio Toribio, demonstrating for his Nidan in Aikikai Aikido.

www.roydeanacademy.com/video/aikido_nidan

www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOnSAiggMpE

There’s a who’s who of Aikido in the Northern California scene in this video. Sensei Toribio, his uke Dennis Evans, Danielle Evans with the jo kata, Pat Hendricks taking ukemi for randori, under the auspices of Frank Doran at his Redwood City Dojo.

This test has endlessly inspired me. The fake out at the end of the randori (causing the two ukes to collide) is something you don’t get to see everyday. That’s a little bit of genius slyly tucked in.

Don_Modesto
09-17-2007, 02:54 PM
Just curious, why are you posting this around?

I agree, nice aikido.

Rich Dyer
09-17-2007, 04:28 PM
Thank you for posting the clip.

salim
09-17-2007, 06:43 PM
Perhaps my favorite test of all time: my instructor, Julio Toribio, demonstrating for his Nidan in Aikikai Aikido.

www.roydeanacademy.com/video/aikido_nidan

www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOnSAiggMpE

There's a who's who of Aikido in the Northern California scene in this video. Sensei Toribio, his uke Dennis Evans, Danielle Evans with the jo kata, Pat Hendricks taking ukemi for randori, under the auspices of Frank Doran at his Redwood City Dojo.

This test has endlessly inspired me. The fake out at the end of the randori (causing the two ukes to collide) is something you don't get to see everyday. That's a little bit of genius slyly tucked in.
Great video, very interesting.

Roy Dean
09-20-2007, 07:11 PM
Don,

I have several reasons for posting this and other videos.

One major reason is tribute to my instructor. He did something very beautiful, and it's my pleasure and honor to enhance his performance through my editing skills. I also write the music for each of my videos, so every project is a unique piece of art.

Other reasons include traffic and visibility. I am always interested in increasing traffic to my site, and want to help those I'm associated with grow their academies as well, online and in person. I like to make my friends look good!

Roy Dean

Will Prusner
09-21-2007, 11:31 AM
Thanks, that last bit of randori was pretty sweet, indeed! The fusion of the technical ability integrated with good strategic positioning was very nice.

W.

Don_Modesto
09-21-2007, 11:33 AM
Don,

I have several reasons for posting this and other videos....Thanks for the response.

Nice clip, nice site.

Avery Jenkins
09-23-2007, 07:32 AM
Thanks for posting the clip. That was absolutely stunning.

Avery

Karen Wolek
09-23-2007, 12:38 PM
Wow! That was awesome! I'm preparing for shodan, so this was very inspiring. Thanks for sharing!

Lan Powers
09-23-2007, 04:13 PM
Indeed, a very good demonstration of skill.
Wish I had as smooth and flowing ability as his.
maybe with time
Lan

stelios
10-10-2007, 04:10 AM
Ace!