PDA

View Full Version : injury advice

Please visit our sponsor:

roman naly
08-21-2007, 09:50 PM
Hi Guys long time lurker first time poster.
Anyway I have injured my patella tendon (not aikido related) which resulted in it being surgically reattached (no screws or wires) Further surgery not likely. The doctors estimated recovery time is between 6 - 12 mths with a lot of physio required to get me back on track and I certainly won't be taking any shortcuts.
I would like to know anyones experience/s with this type of injury and their ability to train again. I understand that every injury heals differently and peoples capabilities are also different.

Thanking you for your advice in advance .

Roman

crbateman
08-21-2007, 10:26 PM
That is a tough injury, and even after a surgical repair, can become chronic if you don't rehab properly. You shouldn't experience problems while standing, but sitting seiza is gonna be tough for a while, and you'll want to think two, three, or more times before you attempt suwariwaza. Talk to your doctor, make sure he understands completely the nature of the moves you will be doing, and then follow whatever his advice may be, because you don't want to screw up his good work...

roman naly
08-28-2007, 05:58 PM
Thanks Clark

Janet Rosen
08-28-2007, 07:05 PM
Roman, my own injuries/surgery were different, so no specific help there. But...definitely follow a specific rehab plan.
My suggestion is you talk w/ doctor about the timing of a rehab plan that starts with simple range of motion and strengthening appropriate to your own situation, and then on a timetable he suggests adds in plyometrics (dynamic movement), which most closely mimics the way the body is used in any athletic activity.
Give it time, and best of luck!