PDA

View Full Version : New to Forum and Interested in Aikido

Please visit our sponsor:

jurat13
08-03-2007, 06:21 PM
Hi Everyone,

My name is Walter Boyd. I am new to this forum, and I reside in the Washington DC Metropolitan area. About 10 years ago, I studied Muay Thai for two years under the Jeet Kune Do system. Now at 31, I am interested in learning and art that does not predominantly rely on brawn.

I hope to reach out to everyone to help me learn more about Daito-Ryu Aikijujutsu, Roppokai Aikijujutsu, Yoshinkan Aikido, Tomiki Aikido, and Ki based Aikido.

Best regards,

Walter Boyd

Paul Sanderson-Cimino
08-03-2007, 08:39 PM
Daito-ryu: Mixed bag. Some people think it has the good stuff from the "old days". On the other hand, my impression is that it's not as well-regulated as aikido (despite the koryu trappings), and it can be very easy to stumble into a godawful school.

Roppokai: No idea, really. I think I've only heard of this as something related to Daito-ryu. Not sure.

Yoshinkan aikido: The primary pre-war style, founded by Gozo Shioda-sensei. Heavy drilling of basics, and a different (some say more linear) application of technique. People also often remark that it has a clearer relationship to aikijutsu, both because of the period of Ueshiba-sensei's teaching that it came from and because Shioda-sensei independently studied the art. I cannot verify this.

Tomiki aikido: Founded by judo and aikido master Kenji Tomiki. The only major style of aikido to feature judo-style shiai -- with rules modified to prevent people from just using judo techniques, of course. (I think it's illegal to grab the gi, and one of the competitors has a knife that keeps the other person at aikido distance.)

Ki-based aikido: I'm guessing you refer to Shin Shin Toitsu (or "Ki Society") aikido, founded by Koichi Tohei-sensei -- a real "superstar" of aikido history, and generally considered one of Ueshiba-sensei's most talented students. I've heard conflicting reports about this style; some say it's very solid and powerful, while others say it's worse than the worst aiki-fairy dancing that certain Aikikai schools can descend to. I have no idea which is a more accurate picture.

Incidentally, I think a lot of people would object to the idea that Muay Thai "predominantly" relies on brawn. Then again, I kind of see what you mean. Certainly if the "aikido is principally a weapons-retention system" hypothesis bears out, that would be true -- a bladed weapon is a great equalizer for strength and size.

Hope that helps.

Lan Powers
08-04-2007, 10:24 AM
Welcome.....
have fun with the forums (keep a grain or two of salt handy as well)
Jun has made a nice site here, with a lot of friends who have never actually met face to face....the net is funny like that.
Lan

jennifer paige smith
08-04-2007, 01:48 PM
Welcome.....
have fun with the forums (keep a grain or two of salt handy as well)
Jun has made a nice site here, with a lot of friends who have never actually met face to face....the net is funny like that.
Lan

Yeah. And lots of enemies who don't really know what they are fighting about.The net is funny like that, too.
Oops. Knocked over my salt shaker.

Welcome....I'll keep an eye on your posts.

jurat13
08-04-2007, 08:02 PM
Paul thank you very much for your informative response! And thanks for welcoming me Jennifer and Lan.

Best regards,

Walter

mikeg
08-06-2007, 08:39 AM
Tomiki aikido: Founded by judo and aikido master Kenji Tomiki. The only major style of aikido to feature judo-style shiai -- with rules modified to prevent people from just using judo techniques, of course.

(my emphasis)

Why do you say this? Would judo techniques be especially effective against aikido? I know little about judo.

akiy
08-06-2007, 09:33 AM
Hi Walter,

Welcome to AikiWeb and thank you for your introduction.

-- Jun

dps
08-06-2007, 10:24 AM
(keep a grain or two of salt handy as well)
http://www.saltauthority.com/

David