PDA

View Full Version : Poll: How important is trusting your training partner in order to have "good" ukemi during aikido training?

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb System
07-15-2007, 12:30 AM
AikiWeb Poll for the week of July 15, 2007:

How important is trusting your training partner in order to have "good" ukemi during aikido training?

I don't do aikido
Critically important
Very important
Somewhat important
Not very important
Not at all important

Here are the current results (http://www.aikiweb.com/polls/results.html?poll_id=386).

Mark Uttech
07-15-2007, 05:45 AM
I always thought that aikido practice/training is based on 'trust'. Of course, you can't think about it.

In gassho,

Mark

Nafis Zahir
07-15-2007, 06:51 AM
If you know you can trust your training partner, you tend to relax more, and the ukemi becomes easier.

Ryan Sanford
07-15-2007, 07:41 PM
It's important to trust your training partner when taking ukemi (if they're trustworthy, that is...), and it's important to trust that they won't give you more than they think you can handle. But that's just a silly teenager's opinion. :)

Mary Eastland
07-16-2007, 06:43 AM
I need to trust my partner's intention but not their ability. When I meet a new Aikido person I go slow and get to know them before I trust them.

I trust myself.

Mary

Dirk Hanss
07-16-2007, 09:22 AM
I need the trusty partner to stay safe, because my ukemi is not very good.
So I could say, I need to trust my partner to develop a good ukemi during aikido training.
And maybe I need a trusty partner to take good looking ukemi.

But to take good ukemi, I just need to be able to protect myself. All I need is a partner, who is not deliberately violent, which I just expect as normal from aikidoka.That's why I voted "not very important". Well it is somewhat tricky. There are good arguments for every answer, without meaning something different. It is just a question of interpretation of the answer.

Well the hardest one would be "I am not doing aikido", but as mudansha I can even argue, that I just prepare for aikido. Only starting from shodan level I am an accepted aikido student.

Best regards

Dirk

Jess McDonald
07-17-2007, 05:37 PM
I have good ukemi because I don't trust my training partners. Take care of number one, yo!!