PDA

View Full Version : Omote and Ura

Please visit our sponsor:

Jacques
11-18-2001, 01:37 PM
I am new to these forums so please bear with me.

Is there anybody out there who can explain the difference between omote and mae as well as ura and ushiro.

Greg Jennings
11-18-2001, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by Jacques
I am new to these forums so please bear with me.

Is there anybody out there who can explain the difference between omote and mae as well as ura and ushiro.

Omote roughly means "that which can be seen" while ura means "that which cannot be readily seen".

In that vein, my dojo uses omote to mean those techniques which are executed in front of uke. I.e., those which uke "can see".

We use ura to mean those techniques which are executed in back of uke. I.e., those which uke "can not readily see".

We call techniques where uke attacks to nage's rear ushiro. I guess we designate mae by leaving off the "ushiro" suffix on the attack.

Best Regards,

Jacques
11-19-2001, 02:54 AM
Originally posted by Greg Jennings

Omote roughly means "that which can be seen" while ura means "that which cannot be readily seen".

In that vein, my dojo uses omote to mean those techniques which are executed in front of uke. I.e., those which uke "can see".

We use ura to mean those techniques which are executed in back of uke. I.e., those which uke "can not readily see".

Best Regards,

This information will come in handy. Thanks Greg

Greg Jennings
11-19-2001, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by Jacques

This information will come in handy. Thanks Greg

You're very welcome.

If you or yours are ever in the U.S.A., please come train with us.

Best Regards,