PDA

View Full Version : Iaido

Please visit our sponsor:

Jonshez
06-30-2007, 09:55 AM
I just returned from a local dojo where I watched an Iaido class to help me decide of I want to train it alongside aikido.
I'm going to try to explain how it felt, but I'm sure words will fall far short.

While watching I was struck by the similarities to aikido. I felt an excitement in the pit of my belly (right in my hara I suppose). Why? It was like having lived with black and white TV, then seeing colour for the first time. So many things about aikido became more transparent. I could see the building blocks and foundations aikido is built upon.

I didn't come away thinking iaido was 'better' than aikido, but I am really excited about what iaido could bring to my aikido study.

Looking back on my explaination of why it was exciting I'm disappointed at how poorly my words explain what I experienced. I hope it makes some sense.

Just wanted to share.

Jon

SeiserL
06-30-2007, 03:15 PM
Lets remember that Aikido supposedly came from sword work.
IMHO, Iaido is a nice supplement.

Michael Varin
06-30-2007, 06:22 PM
While watching I was struck by the similarities to aikido. I felt an excitement in the pit of my belly (right in my hara I suppose). Why? It was like having lived with black and white TV, then seeing colour for the first time. So many things about aikido became more transparent. I could see the building blocks and foundations aikido is built upon.

When you begin to realize how important weapons, particularly edged weapons, are to aikdo your practice will begin to change. Many questions will answer themselves. The tactics, techniques, and attacks all start to make perfect sense.