PDA

View Full Version : Aikido in Orlando

Please visit our sponsor:

Jonshez
05-18-2007, 06:45 AM
Hi all
I'm travelling to Orlando in the next few weeks (dates to be confirmed) on business and wondered if anyone could recommend a location to train at while I'm there. I'll be there for a week, two at the most and although I'm very new to aikido, I'd welcome the opportunity to expand my horizons.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Jon

George S. Ledyard
05-18-2007, 07:35 AM
Hi all
I'm travelling to Orlando in the next few weeks (dates to be confirmed) on business and wondered if anyone could recommend a location to train at while I'm there. I'll be there for a week, two at the most and although I'm very new to aikido, I'd welcome the opportunity to expand my horizons.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

JonHooker Sensei's dojo, Shindai Aikikai is there. Hooker Sensei posts here frequently. I would make that stop a priority.

http://www.shindai.com/home.htm

Dennis Hooker
05-18-2007, 08:24 AM
You are welcome at the Shindai Dojo

Dennis
www.shindai.com

crbateman
05-18-2007, 08:35 AM
I can suggest Shindai, Shoshin, Kodokai and Suenaka-Ha dojos, if you prefer those with organizational affiliations. There are also numerous independent dojos, if you've got time to look around. Use the dojo search functions here on AikiWeb or on Aikido Journal for best info. Don't rely on the phone book. Consider that there is substantial travel time for some areas from certain others, particularly at rush hour. There are no AAA, USAF or Ki Society dojos in Orlando that I am aware of. I would suggest that you take Hooker Sensei's invitation, and at least begin the adventure there. Enjoy your stay.

Dennis Hooker
05-18-2007, 08:48 AM
I can suggest Shindai, Shoshin, Kodokai and Suenaka-Ha dojos, if you prefer those with organizational affiliations. There are also numerous independent dojos, if you've got time to look around. Use the dojo search functions here on AikiWeb or on Aikido Journal for best info. Don't rely on the phone book. Consider that there is substantial travel time for some areas from certain others, particularly at rush hour. There are no AAA, USAF or Ki Society dojos in Orlando that I am aware of. I would suggest that you take Hooker Sensei's invitation, and at least begin the adventure there. Enjoy your stay.

There is an affiliate dojo of Oshima Sensei under Eddie Castro (Ki Aikido) good friends and good Aikido. Don't just drop by the Shoshin dojo without calling first. It is on private property and has some restrictions but very good Aikido under my best friend Dan Linder Sensei

Jonshez
05-18-2007, 12:03 PM
Thank you Hooker Sensei,
your invitation is very welcome. Not being familiar with the area I have no idea what the journey would be like (when you're used to distances in England, America is always misleading!). I will be working near to Big Sand Lake in 32819 which doesn't look to far away from you.
When I was asked if I could go, the first thing I thought was "I'll miss training!", so knowing I will be able to train and experience the Aiki family internationally is very exciting.
As soon as I have the dates I'll let you know.

Thanks again

Jon

batemanb
05-18-2007, 01:07 PM
One of the guys from my club also happens to be in Florida on business next week, also in the same zip as Jon 32819. He asked me today about dojo's for practice and I was thinking about Shindai too. I'll point him to this thread and see what happens, maybe Jon and he are on the same training course and can hook up.

Jonshez
05-18-2007, 01:21 PM
Bryan, I'd have loved to hook up, but I'm not going to be there for at least 4 weeks (waiting for my new passport).
I'm trying to convince my wife that working in Orlando for a week isn't the same as an all-expenses paid trip to Disneyland... so far it isn't working.

crbateman
05-18-2007, 10:24 PM
There is an affiliate dojo of Oshima Sensei under Eddie Castro (Ki Aikido) good friends and good Aikido. Don't just drop by the Shoshin dojo without calling first. It is on private property and has some restrictions but very good Aikido under my best friend Dan Linder SenseiYes, that is the Kodokai Dojo I mentioned above. Ki Society methodology, but neither Oshima nor Castro are still connected to KNK, hence I did not make that inference. Good people, though, to be sure (although I think much less class schedule than yours, Hooker Sensei).

SeiserL
05-19-2007, 06:13 AM
I will join the crowd, Shindai.

Jonshez
05-19-2007, 01:22 PM
Well I've read Hooker Sensei's articles on the Shindai site and I have to say I'm excited about the opportunity to visit the dojo. The insight is inspiring, I enjoyed the articles very much.

Jon