Nae = A colloquial No

Peace and love

Jo

Beard of Chuck Norris
04-27-2007, 08:40 AM
mondai dewa nai ?

Ethan Weisgard
04-27-2007, 10:45 AM
Kamaimasen in plain form is kamawanai. It means to be indifferent, do not care. You can tweak it a bit and say kamawanai, yo if you want to emphasize that it was no biggie, whatever it was that happened.

In Aiki,
Ethan

Aristeia
04-28-2007, 05:15 AM
shigata ga nai?

Ethan Weisgard
04-28-2007, 12:59 PM
Michael,

Shikata ga nai has the meaning of "tough luck,"in the sense of something happening, in which the consequences don't really mean that much to you. I don't know if that is what the phrase Nae bother means, but I had interpreted it as meaning "no problem." In this case then kamawanai I think would be closer. I could be wrong.
I'll have to let The Beard of Chuck Norris get back to me on this one!

In Aiki,

Ethan
a.k.a The Ponytail of Steven Seagal (sorry, I couldn't control myself...)

Josh Reyer
04-28-2007, 10:30 PM
"Nae bother" in the context of "not a problem, not an issue" would be 大した問題じゃない taishita mondai ja nai ("It's not a big problem"). You could then tweak for particular Japanese dialects.

Tokyo Shitamachi - 大した問題じゃねえよtaishita mondai ja nei yo
Osaka/Kansai region - 大した問題やないでtaishita mondai ya nai de

"Nae bother" as a response to "thank you", would simply be いいえ iie (possibly doubled for effect), and with friends simply, いいよ ii yo (it's good), which can also be modified for dialects, e.g. Osaka ええで ei de.

Remember, there are three important things when asking for translation: context, context, and context. Also, don't forget context. :)

Kent Enfield
04-28-2007, 11:58 PM
Tokyo Shitamachi - 大した問題じゃねえよtaishita mondai ja nei yo
Osaka/Kansai region - 大した問題やないでtaishita mondai ya nai deOr rocking it Tohoku-style:

大すた問題でねっちゃ daisuta monde de ne ccha.

Probably not version you want to use, though, as it completely lacks any cool-factor at all.

Ethan Weisgard
04-29-2007, 12:46 AM
I'll have to chime in with my local patriotism:
Taishitamondeineibei! (Ibaraki-ben)

In Aiki,

Ethan Inagappe

Beard of Chuck Norris
04-29-2007, 07:18 AM
Amazing, thanks very much people!

Peace and love

jo