PDA

View Full Version : "The liberal arts throw it down in Aikido"

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb System
04-25-2007, 11:56 PM
Posted 2007-04-25 23:56:08 by Jun Akiyama
News URL: http://media.www.middleburycampus.com/media/storage/paper446/news/2007/04/25/features/the-liberal.arts.throw.it.down.in.aikido-2

This article entitled "The liberal arts throw it down in Aikido" (http://media.www.middleburycampus.com/media/storage/paper446/news/2007/04/25/Features/The-Liberal.Arts.Throw.It.Down.In.Aikido-2877963.shtml) highlights Kimberly Richardson sensei of Seattle, WA, who recently gave a lecture at Middlebury College in Vermont as part of a symposium on martial and liberal arts. "Richardson's talk focused on her experience with Aikido and how it had impacted her views on life. Prior to martial arts, her focus had been dance. After an incident where she saw a woman on the floor hurling people around seemingly effortlessly, she became entranced and developed a love for Aikido. [...] Throughout her lecture Richardson, without missing a beat, would talk about her philosophy and demonstrate techniques while throwing around two of her assistants on stage."

Budd
04-26-2007, 08:38 AM
I've visited Blue Heron Aikido (the dojo where Johnathan Miller-Lane is chief instructor in Middlebury, VT) the last two years when I've been in Middlebury with my wife. They were all very gracious and friendly as we stepped on the mat with them two years ago. Last year they were in the middle of getting their space re-outfitted, so we weren't able to practice with them (although we did help unload some materials and carry them inside the *under construction* area :) ).

I enjoyed the article and congratulate this great group of folks. Both my wife and I hope to be able to practice with them again this year when we make our way back up the green mountains.

DeanPierceVt
04-26-2007, 03:11 PM
Budd--

The dojo renovation was a smashing success--as was the recent event featuring Kimberly Richardson Sensei.

To see pictures of the renovations go to our website www.blueheronaikido.org.

Click on "dojo location" (left side of page) and then click the photo.

Dean Pierz

SeiserL
04-26-2007, 04:01 PM
I think Don Levine made some of the same excellent points and then started Aiki-Extensions.

Budd
04-27-2007, 08:34 AM
Hi Dean,

Dojo looks great! When we were there last, the paint was down, but I don't think the final mats were. Sounds like a wonderful week and I'm thrilled for the dojo's continued success. The wife and I will be up that way the week of July 4th and will look forward to coming to play on the mat.

Best,

DeanPierceVt
04-27-2007, 10:55 AM
I think Don Levine made some of the same excellent points and then started Aiki-Extensions.

Kimberly Richardson Sensei acknowleged Don Levine's pathbreaking work showing the links between marital arts and the liberal arts. Indeed , Don Levine also participated in the Middlebury College symposium and trained with us for a few days as well.

Dean Pierz