View Full Version : Breath

Please visit our sponsor:

Paula Lydon
03-02-2007, 09:28 AM
~Is there a 'best practice' for getting the breath to drop into hara?~

SeiserL
03-02-2007, 01:14 PM
Hi Paula,

IMHO, relax, breath in by making a vacuum in the bottom of your lungs, by pulling your diaphram down, by pushing the stomache out. Feels the hips/hara moving with the mechanics. Visualize the air coming in from the heaven, through the body alignment into your feet and the ground, store (hold) and release upward hrought eh legs, hips/hara, and out the arms/fingertips. The vacuum create by exhaling will provide the natural response to breath in.

First laying, sitting, standing, moving/walking, waza.

Words are inadequate. Hope it helps.

aikidoc
03-02-2007, 01:34 PM
I try to just visualize it - grounding or centering the breath.

Paula Lydon
03-04-2007, 09:57 AM
~Thank you, fellas, I'll certaily gi ve them both a try:D ~

stelios
03-04-2007, 11:21 PM
A very wise forum resident once told me to watch a baby breathing. Its belly literally moves up and down which very much resembles what we do in Aikido. Similarly, like a calm newborn, just relax and breathe normally. It does not take much wisdom to do it, us humans do it all the time. Just let the air reach its maximum potential inside you.
:)

Timothy WK
03-06-2007, 04:51 PM
IME, Meditating has helped my breathing tremendously. I'm sure a "mindful breathing" exercise would be just helpful for this purpose.

Begin sitting with good posture. Sit in either seiza (if your comfortable sitting that way) or in a chair (but make sure the chair is high enough that your hips are higher than your knees). Rotate your hips forward such that your belly sticks out and feels "full". Look forward but lift your head such that it feels like there's a string pulling the top of your head upwards. Just rest your hands on your thighs. You can do this exercise standing (or walking) if you want as well, but I would advise you start sitting.

Wear loose pants with an elastic waist. Wear them a little low such that the waistband crosses your abdomen rather than your waist. This will provide your with some bio-feedback when you're breathing correctly from your center.

Breath in and out through your nose. I don't try and force a breathing rhythm, but I do try to completely fill and empty my lungs with every breath. Throughout the exercise, try to stay conscious of your breathing. If your attention wanders just return to your breath.

I would advise that you just sit there, relax, and breath. Some soft music might be fine, though. You just don't want any major distractions.

If you can do this 15 or so minutes at a time, 5-7 times a week, after 2-3 months you should find that you're breathing with your center throughout your day without even thinking about it. (If you also concentrate on your posture, you'll find that your posture will likewise improve.)

--Timothy

Paula Lydon
03-10-2007, 08:34 PM
~Thank you, All:D ~