PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Typically, how conscious are you about what your aikido instructor did as nage after you are uke for him/her?

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb System
05-21-2006, 12:30 AM
AikiWeb Poll for the week of May 21, 2006:

Typically, how conscious are you about what your aikido instructor did as nage after you are uke for him/her?

I don't do aikido
I don't take ukemi from him/her
Entirely conscious
Very conscious
Somewhat conscious
Not very conscious
Not at all conscious

Here are the current results (http://www.aikiweb.com/polls/results.html?poll_id=325).

billybob
05-21-2006, 08:47 AM
As we say in aviation "Any landing you can walk away from...."

dave

Lorien Lowe
05-21-2006, 04:03 PM
The first time I took ukemi for Sensei, I seemed to go from four feet away to laying on the mat at his feet with nothing in between, and only a vague sensation of having landed there.

I've gotten to the point that I can feel what *I* am going through as he throws me, but it's still hard to tell what he's doing most of the time.

-LK

Yann Golanski
05-22-2006, 02:13 AM
It all depends at what speed sensei does the technique. Nice and slow means that I can feel pretty much all of it. Fast and powerful means that I just land in a daze.

Mark Freeman
05-22-2006, 02:48 AM
Typically, how conscious are you about what your aikido instructor did as nage after you are uke for him/her?

Even if I can't see him, I know that he is smiling :)

Karen Wolek
05-23-2006, 10:46 AM
Most of the time, I'm just trying to stay alive. <grin>

Occasionally, if we have a lot of noobs in class, he'll slow it down and explain something and then I can think, "Aha! That's what he did!"

Luckily, lately we have had a large influx of beginners.....

Eric Webber
05-25-2006, 11:49 AM
I usually have sense of what he did, just never how he did it. :hypno: