http://www.thefilmbasement.com/tim/theman.html

BTW

only cool people quote themselves!

Lucy Smith
05-02-2006, 03:49 PM
He's so pathetic....

Kelly Allen
05-02-2006, 06:08 PM
Call me Crazy! but I liked it. Who da thunk the guy could play guitar and sing.

MikeE
05-02-2006, 06:08 PM
Wow. I was actually amazed that it wasn't as horrible as I thought it would be.

I hate to say it....but I actually kind of liked the song.

wmreed
05-02-2006, 07:30 PM
It's hard to watch him, but his voice is better than many people selling hit records these days.

statisticool
05-02-2006, 07:35 PM
I liked it too. :)

It kind of reminded me of Clapton's My Father's Eyes.

Jory Boling
05-02-2006, 08:41 PM
SS plugging his latest album:
http://www.stevenseagal.com/features/video_2006a.html

mriehle
05-02-2006, 10:02 PM
Well, I don't like it, but...

...it's no worse than any of the other dreck on the radio these days.

Color me disappointed in popular music.

Steven Seagal is just adding to the noise.

merlynn
05-02-2006, 11:26 PM
well i like stevens singing!!!!! and put it this way whos gonna argue with him personally i like my spine where it is thank you :eek: :uch: :yuck: :p :D

Psufencer
05-03-2006, 05:19 AM
Hey, it's better than that those Mountain Dew commercials he was doing!

David Kerr
05-03-2006, 07:11 AM
Downloading as we speak to my ipod (Not) he seems to be going for the elvis las vegas look. Hmm......
Does anyone know any aikido guitar taking techniques....
;)

DarkShodan
05-03-2006, 09:44 AM
His singing wasn't bad. Much better than the after seminar, drunken aikidoka, Karaoke nights I've been to! Oy Vey!

Come on! Those Mt. Dew commercials were hilarious! At least he was poking fun at himself.

Mark Freeman
05-03-2006, 09:59 AM
Does anyone know any aikido guitar taking techniques....
;)

I only know, fret e nage, well executed it should be really slick and has the added bonus of making a good sound :cool:

mriehle
05-03-2006, 11:45 AM
I only know, fret e nage, well executed it should be really slick and has the added bonus of making a good sound :cool:

I'd bet Eb gaeshi would work well. But you either have to tune the guitar specially or perform the technique in a higher octave. For that reason I favor Am nikkyo. :uch:

You do have to watch for the (C)ounter with the last one, though. :sorry:

(Off to find a dorian joke, now. But I will not resort to mixolydian!) :D

aikidoc
05-03-2006, 01:08 PM
Actually, although I'm not particularly a fan of the blues, it wasn't half bad. His singing is definitely better than his more recent movies.

emma.mason15
05-03-2006, 07:11 PM
I can only experiance the true beauty of the INCREDIBLY cheesey video. .... but i am kicking myself that I have beemn robbed of the entire segal experiance!

rtist
05-23-2006, 08:42 PM
I can only experiance the true beauty of the INCREDIBLY cheesey video. .... but i am kicking myself that I have beemn robbed of the entire segal experiance!

You are missing nothing,

akiy
05-23-2006, 09:17 PM
Here's an interview with Steven Seagal in The Seattle Times discussing his blues guitar playing:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/movies/2003012147_seagal25.html

-- Jun

NixNa
05-23-2006, 10:10 PM
I think i'll prefer him sticking to the aikido sensei image. But heck, thats a pretty sweet girl in that video...

ksy
05-31-2006, 02:51 AM
I think i'll prefer him sticking to the aikido sensei image. But heck, thats a pretty sweet girl in that video...

Seagal's always had some kinda "sweet girl" in his video/show. think it was a young n "sweet" sharon stone in "above the law".

aikidoc
05-31-2006, 08:38 AM
That interview was horrible. He came across as inarticulate and does wonders for the image of aikidoka. Such wonderful statements: "Gatemouth never said anything nice about nobody, but what a great player. I'm the only one he was nice to. He would show me techniques, which he didn't do for anybody." and another gem: ". . .but I don't think I've ever played in Seattle. I don't have any memory of it, at least, but I might have been drunk."

I noticed in some of his later movies he has taken on a street style of talk. Is this an effort at trying to be hip?

Richard Langridge
06-04-2006, 06:22 AM
Hey people have gone into music in worse ways; think about Shatner's "spoken word" phase.

mriehle
06-05-2006, 10:30 AM
If it's all the same to you, I'd rather not contemplate William Shatner or Leonard Nimoy doing anything remotely intended to resemble music.

But, saying the Seagal's efforts are good in comparison is damning with faint praise.

Ron Tisdale
06-05-2006, 11:13 AM
I had a really interesting experience in France. My Mom-in-law and fiance and I were sitting around watching tv, and there was Steven Seagal on some game show or other. It was pretty bad. But hey, the man was getting paid!

Best,
Ron

Mark Freeman
06-05-2006, 11:32 AM
I had a really interesting experience in France. My Mom-in-law and fiance and I were sitting around watching tv, and there was Steven Seagal on some game show or other. It was pretty bad. But hey, the man was getting paid!

Best,
Ron

Segal on a French TV game show?..... how the mighty etc etc :D

Ron Tisdale
06-05-2006, 01:32 PM
:D Yeah, I was quite surprised! But hey, at least he didn't whip out a guitar and start singing...

I think his french was good enough for him to understand what was going on, but they translated anything he said from english to french. Course, he might have had one of those ear thingys (tech. term) piping his native tongue in.

Best,
Ron

Fred Little
06-05-2006, 01:43 PM
FWIW, Gatemouth Brown's hatred of the tags "bluesman" or "blues musician" was legendary.

He played everything from fiddle tunes and country-swing to jump-jazz and rock-and-roll and when the issue came up, he insisted that he played "American Music."

Diagnosed with cancer in 2004, Gatemouth refused treatment, saying that he had seen what that did to several of his friends, and he would prefer to continue to play and tour for as long as he could. He lost his home in Slidell, Louisiana to Hurricane Katrina in 2005 and was evacuated to his brother's home in Texas, where he passed away on September 10, 2005.

The recording of his final live performance at the New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival earlier that year (bundled with his 2004 show on the cd) is one of the most astonishing concert recordings I've ever heard. Although already considerably weakened by a combination of heart disease, emphysema, and lung cancer, the dynamic and emotional range in his playing is technically impressive and emotionally awesome. If you want to hear what a musician who really left it all out there on the stage sounds like, oh hell, if you want to hear what mastery at the edge of darkness sounds like, get yourself a copy. Now.

www.jazzfestlive.com

Fred Little

kironin
06-05-2006, 02:27 PM
Gatemouth Brown was always one of my favorites. His range always went beyond blues and it was always interesting to hear him play.

Sorry to see him go.

the best bluesman were always playing a broader range of music - really a long tradition of greats playing many styles. Marketing of race records early was pretty bad about forcing musicians into one box, the history of that probably didn't help his feelings about it.

as for Seagal ... it's one long slide downward....
to caricature land

kironin
06-05-2006, 02:56 PM
That Seattle interview reminds me of the infamous interviews he gave in the late 80's or early 90's about his martial arts background and wacky claims of CIA connections. The bizarre claims of being there when O-sensei passed away and being told by O-sensei to take the real aikido back to America. Of massaging O-sensei's chest and being able to comment on how it felt, etc. (small problem is that he didn't show up in Japan until until several years after O-Sensei's death.)

I interviewed Albert Collins once in the 1980's when I was hosting a blues radio show. A good friend who is a Jazz bassist jammed with Lighting Hopkins at the Houston Juneteenth festival years ago. To someone who has some knowledge of the blues scene and history: this is interview is just BIZARRE! The name dropping seems like a pretty desparate grasping for legitmacy that just isn't there.

On a porch in Detroit ?

He spent his teenage years in a very white bread part of California. That's where he started studying aikido and got his shodan.

comment on fingerings is just idiotic BS.

emma.mason15
06-05-2006, 04:30 PM
ive seen his films .... and their bad enough!

dps
06-06-2006, 03:37 PM
Is he any relationship to Jonathan Livingston Seagal?

Mark Freeman
06-07-2006, 05:46 AM
Is he any relationship to Jonathan Livingston Seagal?

Groan :crazy:

Aikilove
06-07-2006, 07:27 AM
On a porch in Detroit ?

He spent his teenage years in a very white bread part of California. That's where he started studying aikido and got his shodan.
Perhaps, but he was at least born in Detroit.

/J

aikidoc
06-07-2006, 01:03 PM
Another talent from Sean Connery's bio.

"Said in an interview that during the filming of Never Say Never Again (1983), he was taking martial arts lessons and in the process angered the instructor who in turn broke his wrist. Connery stayed with the wrist broken for a number of years thinking it was only a minor pain... the instructor was Steven Seagal."

I hope he doesn't play guitar.

maeukemi
06-12-2006, 05:36 AM
So *this* is where it started...and *this* is why he's coming to town to give a concert...

JJF
06-12-2006, 06:42 AM
I haven't heard his music, but one can only wonder if this man is a recording artis now because of his ability with at guitar and as a singer, or if he is merely having his name milked for more money.

Would he have been recorded had he not been 'Mr. Seagal'? I can't say - but he's definately not being 'discovered' for his looks...

- JJ

Nikopol
06-08-2008, 08:31 PM
I met .... met? ... exchanged glances with ... Steven Seagal about four years ago. I was living in an apartment above the Tokiwa building in Shimokitazawa (Tokyo) and had just bopped down the steps and out onto the shotengai with a snowboard I was taking to get repaired.

On the other side of the street Steven Seagal is standing there, looking enormous in a track suit with gold chains, kind of checking me out. I didn't click at first who it was, I kind of glared back and we paused there for a second squinting at each other with attitude.

Then I went to the snowboard shop a few doors down and said to myself, "Hey, that was Steven Seagal."

On my way back I popped into my Friend Sam's Hip-hop clothing shop, and he said, "Guess who just came in.. Steven Seagal". Apparently his daughter lived in the hood and he was there for a visit...

Gernot Hassenpflug
06-08-2008, 09:12 PM
That Seattle interview reminds me of the infamous interviews he gave in the late 80's or early 90's about his martial arts background and wacky claims of CIA connections. The bizarre claims of being there when O-sensei passed away and being told by O-sensei to take the real aikido back to America. Of massaging O-sensei's chest and being able to comment on how it felt, etc. (small problem is that he didn't show up in Japan until until several years after O-Sensei's death.)

That's OK with me. I know where he got those stories from: Abe Seiseki shihan, who did experience these things. For me, I'm quite happy for Seagal to tell these stories as though they had occurred to him personally, they were worth it. The great thing is that Abe shihan tells quite a bit of useful things about O-Sensei and his body, and it helps that Seagal got that out to a wider audience. Abe shihan also keeps a load of things secret (and swears his trusted overseas students to secrecy too when he transmits things to them).

My two cents,
Gernot

Misogi-no-Gyo
06-09-2008, 12:11 AM
Abe shihan also keeps a load of things secret (and swears his trusted overseas students to secrecy too when he transmits things to them).

My two cents,
Gernot

:straightf What secrets? :straightf

Keith Larman
06-09-2008, 08:17 AM
... The name dropping seems like a pretty desparate grasping for legitmacy that just isn't there.

On a porch in Detroit ? ...

Well, at least he didn't claim it was Robert Johnson at the intersection of Disneyland Drive and Ball Road in Orange County... Given his O-sensei stories that would be about as believable...

:D

Keith Larman
06-09-2008, 08:25 AM
And it is kinda ironic that this thread is resurrected years after it died...

Okay, it appeals to my sense of humor...

justin
06-09-2008, 09:33 AM
He's so pathetic....

think thats a tad harsh

Bill Danosky
06-10-2008, 10:46 AM
Can you go down to the crossroads and sell your soul for a career as a movie star?

akiy
06-10-2008, 02:13 PM
I don't think anyone's mentioned this book yet:

"Seagalogy: The Ass-Kicking Movies of Steven Seagal" (http://www.titanbooks.com/products/us/10148-seagalogy/)

-- Jun

Keith Larman
06-10-2008, 04:26 PM
I don't think anyone's mentioned this book yet:

"Seagalogy: The Ass-Kicking Movies of Steven Seagal" (http://www.titanbooks.com/products/us/10148-seagalogy/)

-- Jun

Oh, that's just great, now I've gone and spent more money on something aboslutely silly... Couldn't resist... Especially given the book cover with Steve's sensitive pony-tail man hair circled...

Keith Larman
06-10-2008, 04:31 PM
Can you go down to the crossroads and sell your soul for a career as a movie star?

Oh wow, just realized something. The lyrics of crossroads -- just replace Bob with Steve...

I went to the crossroads, fell down on my knees
I went to the crossroads, fell down on my knees
Asked the Lord above, have mercy now, save poor Steve if you please

"Fell down on my knees" -- Seiza

Standin' at the crossroads, risin' sun goin' down
Standin' at the crossroads baby, the risin' sun goin' down
I believe to my soul now, po' Steve is sinkin' down

"Risin' sun"? Japan?

I went to the crossroad, mama, I looked east and west
I went to the crossroad, babe, I looked east and west
Lord, I didn't have no sweet woman, ooh well, babe, in my distress

"...looked east..."? Hmmm, Japan. "didn't have no sweet woman..."? Well, he found one in Japan...

Maybe there's more to this blue's thing than I thought...

I think I need another vicodin...

DonMagee
06-11-2008, 02:04 PM
This is the first time I read this interview. Until I realized it was from years ago I couldn't stop laughing when I read this

"Q: You work out several hours a day to keep in shape for your movies. That's pretty much the opposite lifestyle to your blues brethren."

Ron Tisdale
06-11-2008, 02:34 PM
I think I need another vicodin...

LOL! :D

Best, Ron ([Homer simpson]mmmmmm vicodin...[/Homer Simpson])

rulemaker
10-30-2008, 09:31 AM
Book on the movies of Steven Seagal:

http://www.amazon.com/Seagalogy-Study-Ass-Kicking-Steven-Seagal/dp/1845769279

Product Description

Vern, the self-styled ‘outlaw film critic', is known to millions for his hilarious reviews on the Ain't It Cool News website, and is described by Hellboy director Guillermo Del Toro as "equal parts Hell's Angels and Pauline Kael... a national treasure!"

Now, finally, Vern is ready to unleash his magnum opus: an in-depth study of the world's only aikido instructor turned movie star/director/writer/blues guitarist/energy drink inventor — the ass-kicking auteur Steven Seagal. From Above the Law to his Mountain Dew commercials, his entire career is covered in Vern's inimitable style.

As Vern himself puts it, Seagalogy is "a book that will shake the very foundations of film criticism, break their wrists and then throw them through a window."

Cynrod
10-31-2008, 09:33 AM
Book on the movies of Steven Seagal:

http://www.amazon.com/Seagalogy-Study-Ass-Kicking-Steven-Seagal/dp/1845769279

Product Description

Vern, the self-styled ‘outlaw film critic', is known to millions for his hilarious reviews on the Ain't It Cool News website, and is described by Hellboy director Guillermo Del Toro as "equal parts Hell's Angels and Pauline Kael... a national treasure!"

Now, finally, Vern is ready to unleash his magnum opus: an in-depth study of the world's only aikido instructor turned movie star/director/writer/blues guitarist/energy drink inventor — the ass-kicking auteur Steven Seagal. From Above the Law to his Mountain Dew commercials, his entire career is covered in Vern's inimitable style.

As Vern himself puts it, Seagalogy is "a book that will shake the very foundations of film criticism, break their wrists and then throw them through a window."

Then came out Gene Labelle :D .

curlytops
12-03-2008, 01:50 AM
Tsk, Seagal… why'd you have to end up this way?