PDA

View Full Version : David Dye Sensei

Please visit our sponsor:

Chikai Aikidoka
05-02-2006, 04:28 AM
Hi all,

I'm a new b into Aikido. I'm not able to determine though if the dojo in our town is a McDojo one. The sensei in our dojo got his 3rd and 4th dan from Soke David Dye (http://www.shuyokan.com/home.html).

Well my dilema is that Soke David Dye is a Yoshinkan style. Where as our sensei's curriculum, terminologies, belts colors and kyu's are not the same as Soke David Dye's.

I suppose I can ask my sensei directly but I'm too shy to ask him specially that I'm a beginner and that it seems that his dojo is the only one in town.

has any one heard of Soke David Dye? And whether he award Dans overseas?

Cheers

Steven
05-02-2006, 10:00 AM
Though David Dye is a registered Yoshinkan Aikido instructor, he has formed his own organization which consists of several disciplines. He has member schools around the world and issues dan certificates under HIS organization. He has a complete list of styles listed on his website.

I would not consider his group a McDojo as you call it. He has been around a long time and does a lot of training involving law enforcement. I suggest you talk to your teacher about any concerns you have or you can write to the Shuyokan directly.

Chikai Aikidoka
05-02-2006, 11:18 AM
Thank you Steve for ur import.

I guess I rushed in asking this question under this thread. I'm a new b to Aikido, a new b to AikiWeb and a new b to forums in general; this is my first forum involvement.

Reading further and around into this subject, I noticed that it implied more negative meaning than conceptual. Therefore, I appologize before hand to any person, organization, or Aikiweb member for specifically naming names in my initial thread or for unintentioanlly offending anybody. Sorry guys :sorry: !

BR,
MC

SeiserL
05-02-2006, 09:52 PM
has any one heard of Soke David Dye?
Seen his tapes, seen his demonstrations, trained in his seminars, and talked with him personally. Very proficient, professional, and personable.

If you have a question, e-mail him directly, and give him my regards.

crbateman
05-03-2006, 02:41 AM
Ditto what Lynn said... He has done much to bridge the gap between "dojo" Aikido and practical SD.

Chikai Aikidoka
05-04-2006, 02:45 AM
Thank u guys!

BR,
MC