PDA

View Full Version : Returning Student

Please visit our sponsor:

Suwariwazaman
04-18-2006, 02:27 PM
Hello I am a former aikido student, and want to get back into training. Any tips on how I can get back to training easier, I am not sure how I will be received. Any advice? :(

Nick P.
04-18-2006, 02:53 PM
Hello I am a former aikido student, and want to get back into training. Any tips on how I can get back to training easier, I am not sure how I will be received. Any advice? :(

A few things that might affect how you return to training;

Are you returning to the same dojo? If yes, and again depending on how you left, you might want to contact the Sensei in advance and "ask" if it is OK.

If your returning to training at a different dojo, and you have chosen the dojo wisely, then just show up and jump back in. When others will ask if you have trained before, just reply with "Yes, for a while, and I am coming back from a break."

Enjoy, and welcome back.

giriasis
04-18-2006, 02:59 PM
Umm...you usually don't have to ask if it's okay to come back and return to training. Just show up and the people there will be happy to see you. Just give yourself time to catch up to where you left off. Also, there might be newer people there who will not know you so don't be surprised if they assume that you are newer than them and try to help you out. Just blend and enjoy your first few classes back.

Suwariwazaman
04-18-2006, 04:29 PM
Thanks I really feel better about that. I am going back to the same dojo where I left off. I hope to not be as clumsy as when I left. I really enjoyed Aikido, and I wish I hadn't left in the first place. Ging through my inventory, I remember Kotegaeshi, Shihonage, Ikkyo, and Shihonage, and Iriminage

Suwariwazaman
04-18-2006, 04:36 PM
OOpps...said Shihonage twice...I meant Tenchi nage. I remember omote is front, and ura is reverse, or behind. I thought Ushiro meant from behind.anyway I am excited about it. Any tips on once I get back on the mat? I remember we did alot of Kokyo dosa? This was the seiza w/ a partner using Kokyu (Wrist turn?)Right?

giriasis
04-18-2006, 07:10 PM
OOpps...said Shihonage twice...I meant Tenchi nage. I remember omote is front, and ura is reverse, or behind. I thought Ushiro meant from behind.anyway I am excited about it. Any tips on once I get back on the mat? I remember we did alot of Kokyo dosa? This was the seiza w/ a partner using Kokyu (Wrist turn?)Right?

It's sounds like you'll be okay Jamie. Just give yourself time to get your stamina back and to get your body memory back. Sometimes we remember the level we were at when left and get frustrated because we are not at that same level when we return. It's kind of like going back to school after the summer. You'll be a little rusty, but you'll get back into the swing of things before you know it.

Amelia Smith
04-18-2006, 07:32 PM
Also, don't expect yourself to be able to do everything you used to do on the first night back. Go easy on yourself, and err on the side of caution those first few nights, particularly if it's been a long while. We had a guy check out our dojo a couple of weeks ago. He said that he had practiced before, but my impression was that he had worked in a combination of arts, none of which was quite our style of aikido... and that it had been well over a decade (maybe two decades?) since he'd practiced regularly. Well, the guy kept throwing himself crashing onto the mat like he was 20. We tried to give him a hint or two about falling more softly, but he seemed determined to beat himself up. We haven't seen him since, but I talked to his sister (it's a small town), and she says he was really, really sore afterwards. Don't do that (beat yourself up).

Have fun, and welcome back.

Nick P.
04-18-2006, 08:37 PM
Umm...you usually don't have to ask if it's okay to come back and return to training. Just show up and the people there will be happy to see you. Just give yourself time to catch up to where you left off. Also, there might be newer people there who will not know you so don't be surprised if they assume that you are newer than them and try to help you out. Just blend and enjoy your first few classes back.

As one of the oldest sempais in our dojo, I have lost count of the number of times I have run into former (though always welcome) members who's first words are usually "Heyhowareyou?IplanongettingbacktoAikidoreallysoon!". For some reason, most who have drifted away from training feel awkard with returning. They shouldn't, but they do.

Suwariwazaman
04-21-2006, 08:49 AM
I spoke to my first instructor. He was glad to see me. I am going back this week. We talked for awhile, it felt good. I am putting my Gi on this week. Should I but a new one since it has been so long, I mean it fits ok, but a little tight? Any thoughts? :eek:

Nick P.
04-21-2006, 08:54 AM
Could be your chance to usher in a new chapter in your training by getting yourself a crisp new gi.
Sure, go for it.

Suwariwazaman
04-24-2006, 06:29 AM
Thanks for the advice. I can't wait. I will get a new gi. Hope to see everyone at a seminar or something!

Dirk Hanss
04-24-2006, 07:06 AM
Thanks for the advice. I can't wait. I will get a new gi. Hope to see everyone at a seminar or something!
Sorry, Jamie, I am late.
I'd advise you to keep the old one. Maybe it recalls some of the techniques, you have forgotten.

And you should better start as a new beginner - who hopefully learns quickly. You probably know the techniques and your ukemi, but you are not used to effectively do it.

When I came back after a break of several years, everything seemed to be right. My partners were not the aiki-dancers, I was used to , but grapplers, who just started aikido, my ukemi was probably not as round as it should be but worked rather well.

But after the second training session, I could not lift my arms, I even had problems to get my water bottle to my mouth. It was such a pain. My techniques were not perfect, so I used more power than I should have done, and my muscles - especially some of the very small ones in the shoulder joint - were not used to more than lifting telephone speakers. So they were totally overburdened and it needed one to two months to get them on track.

So start slowly. There is no need to show someone how good you still are. They can realise it even a few weeks later.

So welcome back.

Dirk

Suwariwazaman
04-24-2006, 08:34 AM
Oh yes! Definitely taking it slow. I remember the way I felt when I very very first started, all gung ho! Not this time. I learned a valuable lesson in ability, and to let go of my ego! Thanks for the advice. I think I still would like a new gi just for a spare!

Suwariwazaman
05-09-2006, 01:34 PM
I have been back for about a week and a half. It is great! A much better experience with my old gi. We are working on Tenchinage. Its fun and thanks for the help.

Suwariwazaman
05-19-2006, 04:53 PM
Hello everyone ! Been back for a few weeks and I am doing great! I really am enjoying training. I am a little sore, but it is manegable. Say anyone know how to take a Morotetori Kokyunage or Iriminage We also practiced Yokumenuchi Shihonage which has the same fall it is just when nage moves forward my feet seem to get tangled. Any advice? :freaky:

Raptus
05-20-2006, 07:45 AM
When taking a fall from shihonage, you prepare by bending your leg closer to nage? Try positioning your already bent foot behind the other one, and when thrown, start by bending your knee, to make your fall softer.I'd guess your 'feet tangling' comes from them being positioned too close one to another.

rachmass
05-21-2006, 07:09 AM
Hello Jamie,

Welcome back to AOC, great dojo! I practice there as well (also practice in Ann Arbor) and look forward to meeting you some day. AOC is such a great dojo and McGinnis and Mehter Sensei's (and Monroe, Francis, Oka and Malmer and others) are both so wonderful. You are lucky to be able to be there full time!

See you on the mat.

Suwariwazaman
05-22-2006, 05:24 AM
Hey Rachael! That's great! I was wondering when I would find a name I would recognize. I had been training for about 2 years, then I had to move to Chicago, however unfortunately I wasn't training. But I moved back to Cincinnati and restarted my training a few weeks ago. AOC is awesome. McGinnis Sensei is a great aikidoist. I started my training with Mike Malmer. He just received his Sandan. Mike is a really good instructor. I also go to Paul's class. He is also a good instructor as well. Pat's coming back this Friday!!! If you didn't know he had hip surgery. OUCH! But he is full steem now from what I understand! He was my original instructor when I first started. Anyway thanks for the reply see you on the mat!

Milos, thanks for the tip I will try that! I also found I was bending down too much as well when I was being led around, on the iriminage but then when I was finally being thrown I found myself not stepping at all. Your right my feet were too close together too. My falls are much easier.

Thanks J

Suwariwazaman
05-30-2006, 09:19 AM
Well I have been back for about a month now. I am finally getting the hang of the mat, again. My ukemi is improving and I am feeling great. I am even going to an IAI practice tonight under McCormick Sensei. It will be my first class with this. If anyone has any advice on how to wear an Iaido Obi!!!!! :hypno: Do I wear my regular obi underneth, and what is the best method for tying a hakama? HELP! :freaky:

Regards Jamie :D

Suwariwazaman
06-29-2006, 06:28 AM
Hello all. This thread is dying. I hope any new student or returning student will post some insight on their experiences at their particular dojo. Mine is wonderful. One reason is I participated in my first class with Mcginnis Sensei. He is amazing. We practiced various forms of Kokunage Katatetori Omote, and Ura. Shiko, Forward, Backward Ukemi, and Koku Dosa. Very intense workout. As I have been told my exhaustion is the sign of my lack of training. This is true due to the fact I have only been back for month and a half. If any insight would be welcomed. I will reply with a thought occasionally if someone posts. With that said Good Aikido to all, and hope to see some of you someday on the mat.

Best Regards Jamie

TigerJK
06-29-2006, 12:22 PM

WELCOME BACK!
:) :D :D :) :D :D :D :) :D

Hope this helps,
TigerJK

Hucqie
07-08-2006, 03:23 AM
Hi Jamie

Let me help you keep your thread alive. I was also away from training for over 3 years due to some injuries and started up about 2 months ago. Although I am a relative Newbie myself it is amazing how your body remembers and how quickly things come back.

I try to train every day and will hopefully progress well.

Other than the Sensei there are very few familiar faces on the mat and that was a little disappointing, the cool thing about Aikidoists(I may have just made that word up) is that they are always glad to welcome anyone onto the mat and I have fitted in well.

Good luck with your training and hopefully neither of us will leave aikido again (for at least a long long while)

Brandon

Suwariwazaman
07-10-2006, 06:52 AM
Thanks Brandon for your post. I as well seen very few I knew, but the ones I did welcomed me as well, and that is very encouraging. How we a perceived in our training has alot to do with how were taught. What I mean by that is as a student say beginner you are required to perform like one. If you have been around a while you are expected to perform as such in some ways, but like I have been saying all along. Take One roll at a time.

Thanks Jamie