PDA

View Full Version : Tokyo in May

Please visit our sponsor:

Brad Darr
04-05-2006, 06:32 AM
Hello to all my fellow aikidoka in Japan. I currently live in the Kansai region and train at Seibukan in Kobe. I am going to have May8-12 off and want to come go to Tokyo to train at Honbu for at least a day or two and maybe see some things. Any advice as far as cheap places to stay and anything else is greatly appreciated. I have already looked at old posts and am following up on a few things but more info is always great. Also if anyone in that area would like to meet up for a drink or training let me know. Thanks for your consideration, and if any of you are in the Kansai area please let me know I will do my best to help you out if I can. :ai:

PeterR
04-05-2006, 08:30 PM
Hi Brad;

Bryan Bateman and another student from a Kobe dojo, along with several others, are visiting my group in Himeji this week-end. Are you from the same group?

Brad Darr
04-05-2006, 10:11 PM
Hello Peter,
Bryan let me know about your get together but unfortunately I am not going to be able to make it. I was hoping to get Saturday off but no such luck.

PeterR
04-05-2006, 10:18 PM
Ah so you were the other student? Too bad but we are close and enjoy visitors. Perhaps another time.

Cheers

AnhXanh
04-06-2006, 12:33 AM
Any advice as far as cheap places to stay

This is fairly reasonable and is within walking distance to Hombu Dojo and Shinjuku station: http://web.mytrip.net/portal/my/info_page_e.Eng?f_no=89&f_ptn1=kaigai
You don't need a room with a bath as they have a Japanese bath in the basement which is quite nice.

Erik

rundaheza
04-12-2006, 12:55 AM
Hello Brad,

I live in the Kansai region too. I live and practice Aikido in Mie prefecture.
Is the Honbu dojo open to all aikidoka? It seems like an interesting place to practice. How much does it cost? Is there a seminar or were you thinking of joining the regular class?

Heather

Brad Darr
04-12-2006, 09:47 AM
Heza,
Depending on your affiliation it may be difficult to train at Aikikai Honbu. If you do have rank from an organization connected with Honbu then its pretty simple from what I have heard. I just have some extended time off, am planning a trip and was looking for advice so I don't really know too much, you can search other threads for more info than I can give you. I was just going to attend regular classes and see some things in Tokyo, nothing special. By the way are you training in Shingu with Anno sensei? Yah if you are ever in the Kobe/Osaka area send me an email if you need anything.

Brad

batemanb
04-12-2006, 05:08 PM
It looks like Homnbu may have changed their process, I`m sure you used to be able to train there for a daily fee even if you weren`t actually a member of the Aikikai. Now it seems you need to be a member of the Aikikai in order to train. The fee to join the Aikikai is 8400 Yen and the daily fee is 1575 Yen. There are other options for weekly/ monthly etc depending on how long you want to stay. More infor can be found here under the Hombu Dojo "Guide" and "Visitors from overseas" sections

http://www.aikikai.or.jp/eng/index.htm

rgds
Bryan

Brad Darr
04-19-2006, 10:58 PM
Thanks Erik for that link, I will probably stay there as it is very close and not bad for the price. I was hoping a few more people who train in the area would have reasponded as it is always nice to meet like minded people. Speaking of which it was great to finally meet Bryan Bateman during his visit last week. I really wish I would have been able to find the time to join him and others to train in Himeji. Well if anybody in Tokyo reads this I will be there from May8-12, at Aikikai Honbu. Always looking for a good laugh and maybe a pint, and of course some solid training.

Brad