Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-11-2006, 06:39 PM   #1
gstevens

Dojo: Aikido Of San Leandro
Box / Walk ?????

OK there is a graphic for this box thing on the site here http://www.aikiweb.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=1229

Other than the fact that the drawing has two left feet and two right feet at different points, which makes no sense for stances to me, what in the heck is this? We had someone come to our dojo to visit a while back, and he seemed quite shocked that we actually grabbed each other while training.. We asked what they did at his dojo (as we were quite shocked that they didn't grab each other), and he did something that might have looked like this box thing. But we didn't quite get what he was trying to tell us, and he kept telling us that we had to do a walk.... He only visited once, so we didn't get the opportunity to put him into a solid Nikyo pin and interrogate him further.

I have done other Arts that did a lot of Katas, but have wondered at their effectiveness as a training tool in Aikido. Is this an Aikido Kata? If so can someone explain what it is how it works, and if they have found it to be at all affective in training?

Guy
:-)
Old 03-11-2006, 07:11 PM   #2
kokyu
Hong Kong
Re: Box / Walk ?????

When I looked at the diagram, I thought it looked a bit like happo undo (the eight-way movement), although there are only seven positions. As you probably know, happo undo trains one's ability to quickly change direction and at the same time, maintain an extension.
Old 03-13-2006, 03:38 PM   #3
odudog
Dojo: Dale City Aikikai

Some styles do have katas. The first style of Aikido that I learned had them. I had learned three of them although I don't remember them anymore.
Old 03-13-2006, 05:55 PM   #4
Adman

United_States

Not sure why I bothered, but I whipped up what I think would be a more appropriate diagram for something like happo-undo.

Counted in Japanese, of course.

thanks,
Adam
Old 03-13-2006, 06:41 PM   #5
Mark Freeman
Dojo: Dartington
United Kingdom

Quote:
Adam Bauder wrote:
Not sure why I bothered, but I whipped up what I think would be a more appropriate diagram for something like happo-undo.

Counted in Japanese, of course.

thanks,
Adam
A great graphic to show the directions of happo undo, thanks.

but does the counting need to be in Japanese?

regards,
Mark

Success is having what you want. Happiness is wanting what you have.
Old 03-13-2006, 11:22 PM   #6
James Young
United_States

Quote:
Mark Freeman wrote:
but does the counting need to be in Japanese?
Yes, it must be in Japanese. Just kidding of course. Actually that box diagram reminded me of some of the ashi-sabaki exercises that Tada-sensei does. Moving feet to different directions off a center position, changing hanmi back and forth, etc., but it doesn't appear to be a match to that. Perhaps some variation of those ashi-sabaki exercises is the best I can think of that this box represents.
Old 03-14-2006, 09:58 AM   #7
Adman

United_States

Quote:
Mark Freeman wrote:
... but does the counting need to be in Japanese?
Yes. (or not.)
Quote:
Guy Stevens wrote:
what in the heck is this?
I think it really is just happo-undo.
Quote:
Guy Stevens wrote:
... he seemed quite shocked that we actually grabbed each other while training. ... and he kept telling us that we had to do a walk
Well, during hitori waza (or one person exercise, or aiki-taiso) you don't grab anyone. And during happo undo, the feet go left-right, left-right ... just like walking (sort of). So maybe that's what your visitor was referring to?
Old 03-14-2006, 10:49 AM   #8
Delvin

Dojo: CSM Aikido JAA/USA
United_States

[quote] -
Quote:
Guy Stevens wrote:
OK there is a graphic for this box thing on the site here http://www.aikiweb.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=1229

Other than the fact that the drawing has two left feet and two right feet at different points, which makes no sense for stances to me, what in the heck is this? -----]
It was an artistic drawing - it only shows the lead foot in each spot it hits when doing walks - left front, right back, right front, left back - then the turns where your foot turns ...

I will add the numbers to help.

Last edited by Delvin : 03-14-2006 at 10:53 AM.
Old 03-14-2006, 02:37 PM   #9
gstevens

Dojo: Aikido Of San Leandro

I wasn't picking on it at all. Please don't think that I was, I was just trying to understand what it is.

Also I loved the Happo Undo graphic, but I don't quite get that either :-) Can you tell I have never been a good dancer?

How do the feet move in the Happo Undo graphic? That is a cool graphic, as is the feet on the box thing.

I still don't quite get it... I know I am a bit thick here. 1 >Left Hanmi left foot step forward? Then right foot slide up to it still in left hanmi? 2> right foot slide back, left foot slide back? 3> Right foot slide right? change to right Hanmi?????

Training by yourself, how effective do others find this? I haven't found it effect for me, but I could just be bad at training by myself.

Since I got the wife into the art, I have a training partner most places I go... Parking lots, friends entry ways, etc... Seems to get us a lot of looks from others, no one has called the cops yet... :-)

Thanks for the posts.

Guy
:-)
Old 03-14-2006, 03:06 PM   #10
Adman

United_States

Quote:
Guy Stevens wrote:
How do the feet move in the Happo Undo graphic?
It's a step and turn ikkyo movement kinda thing. Nothing ever moves back. You're always going forward. Left foot forward, right foot follows just behind > turn clockwise 180 > right foot steps (it should already be forward) > turn counterclockwise 90 > etc.

Maybe this will help: Happo undo from www.bodymindandmodem.com

Please visit our sponsor:

Aikido DVDs and Video Downloads - by George Ledyard Sensei & other great teachers from AikidoDVDS.Com