Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-09-2006, 03:07 PM   #26
crbateman
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

Re: how many times have you gotten hurt?

Nothing more than bumps, bruises, sprains and scratches directly from Aikido practice, although I have severely aggravated pre-existing injuries numerous times. Just comes with the territory. Nothing even close to the things that happened to me in TKD, when I was much younger, but also more stupid. I was a walking pile of scar tissue. My nickname was "Puzzle Man" because I was constantly getting myself put back together again. Still paying for it some 20 years later.

"We can rebuild him... We have the technology..."
Old 03-09-2006, 08:03 PM   #27
Lorien Lowe
Dojo: Northcoast Aikido

one sprained foot from someone landing on it and one partially separated shoulder from a bad fall (the latter totally my fault), both at brown belt level.

-LK
Old 03-09-2006, 08:39 PM   #28
Aristeia
New Zealand

here's a question. How many of these injuries have happened on crowded vs non crowded mats? Obviously crowded mats run the risk of people being thrown into each other, but also people trying to adjust their ukemi mid flight to avoid same.

"When your only tool is a hammer every problem starts to look like a nail"
Old 03-09-2006, 09:09 PM   #29
Skribbles

i havnt gotten hurt yet *knock on wood* my gf did... she was suppose to throw her legs out from under her but i guess one got stuck and she landed on it.. ended up breaking some bone in her foot

once her foots all better we're gonna start stretching every morning and working on our overall fitness
its been about 2 months now and shes almost able to walk on it again... figure another couple weeks and she can start walking... then maybe a month or so use it like normal but hey im no doc so *shrugs*

besides i figure we can work on stretching everyday and get to the point that instead of taking ukemi our body just turns to rubber and we can just stand there... lol jk

thanks for all the replies =)

Last edited by Skribbles : 03-09-2006 at 09:18 PM.
Old 03-09-2006, 10:42 PM   #30
GaiaM
Dojo: Bend Aiki Martial Arts
United_States

I've been training about six years and I've never had anything more major than mat burn, slightly strained wrists and knees. Nothing that kept me off the mat for more than a day or two.

I believe that severe injuries (one that keep people out of training) are a sign of a poorly run dojo. There is no need for people to get hurt on a regular basis - it is the job of the sensei and senior students to keep people safe by watching their interactions and attitudes and being good role models.

Gaia

Old 03-10-2006, 12:58 AM   #31
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo

Separated the AC joint in my right shoulder a few months in. I didn't do it in class but at work attempting a kneeling roll

A couple of broken toes, mostly from getting caught between the mats. Mat burns, small cuts, jammed thumbs, head bumps and general achiness are all par for the course.

The most long lasting injury I've had happened when I was kneeling on one knee with my toes in what we would call "live" position, when a rather large fellow landed on my heel. Doctor said I overstretched the ligaments and would probably get arthritis. That was almost two years ago and I've got an appointment for next week to see a podiatrist because the pain has recently come back with a vengeance

Bronson

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."
Old 03-10-2006, 07:00 AM   #32
Nick Simpson
Dojo: White Rose Aikido - Durham University
United Kingdom

Quote:
I believe that severe injuries (one that keep people out of training) are a sign of a poorly run dojo. There is no need for people to get hurt on a regular basis - it is the job of the sensei and senior students to keep people safe by watching their interactions and attitudes and being good role models.
In a perfect world, but Sh*t happens...

They're all screaming about the rock n roll, but I would say that it's getting old. - REFUSED.
Old 03-10-2006, 07:13 AM   #33
justinmaceachern
Dojo: St. george
Canary Islands

You see it is funny. I never actually gotten hurt on the matts in my dojo. You see i was given a gift of falling gracefully, now sometimes it hurts when i go down and am put in an arm lock, but as far as getting hurt from the fall almost never. But when i am training with my freind in his basement there is no mercy, and sometimes i get hurt.
Old 03-10-2006, 03:17 PM   #34
Kon Asplundh
United_States

Which brings up the question, what is the acceptable level of injurys for a dojo?
Kon
Old 03-10-2006, 03:58 PM   #35
Qatana

Dojo: Aikido of Petaluma, Petaluma,CA

[quote=Brian Dunlap]
besides i figure we can work on stretching everyday and get to the point that instead of taking ukemi our body just turns to rubber and we can just stand there... lol jk

QUOTE]

A real good way for you to experience the joys of having Sensei change the technique to something that Will make you fall. I walked out of an iriminage once and ended up pinned in yonkyo.

Q
http://www.aikidopetaluma.com/
www.knot-working.com

"It is not wise to be incautious when confronting a little smiling bald man"'- Rule #1
Old 03-10-2006, 04:17 PM   #36
Adam Alexander
Dojo: none currently
United_States

Quote:
Kon Asplundh wrote:
Which brings up the question, what is the acceptable level of injurys for a dojo?
Kon
Seems like you'd have to take it on a case-by-case basis. Although I've been hurt severely enough to take me off the mat for a little while over a half-dozen times, only once would I say that it was due to someone else.

Seems like it'd have a lot to do with the group. I visited a dojo once where injuries were very common. They didn't spend more than five minutes on breakfalls. But, they all seemed happy. LOL. I wouldn't get on that mat for anything.

Last edited by Adam Alexander : 03-10-2006 at 04:20 PM.
Old 03-10-2006, 04:44 PM   #37
tenshin_uke

Dojo: Three Rivers Aikido
United_States

crunched my shoulder, but was back in a couple of weeks. knee sprain and peroneal tendonitis in my ankle, but that's just part of the training.
Old 03-12-2006, 06:09 PM   #38
Dillon
United_States

Not counting bangs, bruises, sprains and scrapes, I've only actually been injured in the aikido dojo once. A fellow student applied kote mawashi too quickly, and my wrist basically came apart. Not a lot of fun, but it comes with the territory.
Old 03-12-2006, 09:43 PM   #39
Jory Boling

Dojo: A.K.I.,Misakikai Dojo
United_States

a fellow did the technique where they almost go into seiza at the last moment at your feet. i was slow in diving over him and my foot was left behind. it was somehow twisted. later, that ankle was pretty swollen. that was over a year ago. i couldn't do tenkan smoothely for several months and now i still feel it occasionally. i still don't know what exactly is going on inside there.

Old 03-13-2006, 04:22 AM   #40
ruthmc
Dojo: Wokingham Aikido
United Kingdom

Isn't it interesting how the majority of injuries seem to occur in the person taking ukemi?

My theory is that ukemi skills are not sufficiently encouraged in many dojo, leading to a mindset that "throwing people is the fun part" and "ukemi is a necessary evil". As a result, people work a lot on perfecting their techniques and very little on improving their ukemi.

I have had numerous disagreements with instructors about why this is allowed to happen. They say that they have to encourage beginners to come back, so they prefer to teach them techniques as they believe that beginners will not be so motivated by learning ukemi...

Personally I think that learning to fly is fun! When I started Aikido classes I was always very impressed by those students who could take good ukemi. Never thought I'd ever be able to do it myself though Those who were good at applying technique did not impress me so much, as I thought that would be easier to learn

More than 14 years later, I haven't changed my opinions a lot, although I now know that both ukemi and nagemi are difficult to learn well!

Ruth (numerous injures all caused by poor ukemi skills on my part)
Old 03-13-2006, 04:25 AM   #41
Nick Simpson
Dojo: White Rose Aikido - Durham University
United Kingdom

Ruth, I couldnt agree more with you. Excellent post.

They're all screaming about the rock n roll, but I would say that it's getting old. - REFUSED.
Old 03-13-2006, 05:46 AM   #42
Amelia Smith

Dojo: Martha's Vineyard Aikido Club

Yes, most of the injuries I've seen have been injuries to uke, but I went through about a year where I kept getting hurt as nage. It was usually something like twisting my back the wrong way, but as a result I can easily imagine a situation in which injuries were 50/50 nage/uke. I wonder if it's because ukes tend to be too passive, just going along for the ride.

By the way, I also enjoy learning ukemi, and think it's the most practical part of aikido, in terms of what it will do for your safety in daily life. I mean, how often are you going to face a knife-weilding attacker, versus how often you're going to take a spill on a patch of ice or trip over something?
Old 03-13-2006, 07:17 AM   #43
ruthmc
Dojo: Wokingham Aikido
United Kingdom

Quote:
Nick Simpson wrote:
Ruth, I couldnt agree more with you. Excellent post.
Cheers Nick!

Reckon I should continue arguing with all those instructors then

Ruth
Old 03-13-2006, 12:45 PM   #44
MaryKaye
Dojo: Seattle Ki Society

I pulled a muscle once doing stretches at home, but have never been badly hurt on the mat in three years of training. My Head Instructor is *very* safety-conscious, and though she frustrates me sometimes (I want to learn more breakfalls!) I do appreciate the results.

I did take one ukemi onto my head and shoulder that I'm surprised didn't break my collarbone. But apparently despite my age I have pretty solid bones--here's hoping they stay that way. SInce then I have worked hard on the skill of tucking into a tight ball and rolling when dropped straight downwards, and have managed to avoid landing that way a second time.

Mary Kaye
Old 03-13-2006, 01:17 PM   #45
Dajo251
Dojo: Aikido Downtown
United_States

Quote:
Ruth McWilliam wrote:
Isn't it interesting how the majority of injuries seem to occur in the person taking ukemi?

My theory is that ukemi skills are not sufficiently encouraged in many dojo, leading to a mindset that "throwing people is the fun part" and "ukemi is a necessary evil". As a result, people work a lot on perfecting their techniques and very little on improving their ukemi.

I have had numerous disagreements with instructors about why this is allowed to happen. They say that they have to encourage beginners to come back, so they prefer to teach them techniques as they believe that beginners will not be so motivated by learning ukemi...

Personally I think that learning to fly is fun! When I started Aikido classes I was always very impressed by those students who could take good ukemi. Never thought I'd ever be able to do it myself though Those who were good at applying technique did not impress me so much, as I thought that would be easier to learn

More than 14 years later, I haven't changed my opinions a lot, although I now know that both ukemi and nagemi are difficult to learn well!

During class I often have more fun getting thrown then doing the throwing

Dan Hulley
Old 03-13-2006, 01:50 PM   #46
Lyle Bogin
Dojo: Shin Budo Kai
United_States

My worst aikido injury was a re-broken rib.
Old 03-13-2006, 02:24 PM   #47
Karen Wolek
Dojo: Kingston Aikido
United_States

Quote:
Daniel Hulley wrote:
During class I often have more fun getting thrown then doing the throwing
Me too!!!!

I don't have the best ukemi in the world, but I am still working on it. Most of my (minor) injuries have been as uke, but the busted nose, I was nage. Ikkyo ura, elbow in the nose. Ouch! Ma'ai is VERY important, people!

Karen
"Try not. Do...or do not. There is no try." - Master Yoda
Old 03-13-2006, 02:32 PM   #48
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States

Ok, gotta ask...how did you originally break it?

Best,
Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 03-13-2006, 04:33 PM   #49
Michael O'Brien
Dojo: Nashville Aikikai
United_States

Quote:
Ruth McWilliam wrote:

Our dojo has actually started a class one day a week that is dedicated entirely to learning how to take better ukemi and become a better uke.

Right now I work on that night and am unable to attend and I hate it.

Harmony does not mean that there are no conflicts,
for the dynamic spiral of existence embraces both extremes.
Old 03-13-2006, 06:12 PM   #50
Murgen
United_States

I've never been hurt in Aikido more than a mat burns, minor knee/ankle sprains, bruises and chronic wrist pain due to the locks. I find Aikdio to be pretty safe even when we are going at it. Some Chronic neck pain due to computer work but aggravated by Ukemi. If a sensei hurt a student out of ego or lack of control they shouldn't be a sensei in my book and I would find another dojo.

Muay Thai: Severly sprained and possibly broken foot when I caught an elbow on the top on my ankle (bad technique probably), black eyes and some nice big black bruises. Interesting thing is I never felt the foot it until we stopped sparring and I almost immediately couldn't walk on it.

Please visit our sponsor:

Aikido DVDs and Video Downloads - by George Ledyard Sensei & other great teachers from AikidoDVDS.Com