Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-27-2006, 06:50 AM   #1
justinmaceachern
Dojo: St. george
Canary Islands
need the 411 on Patrick Cassidy Sensei?

In 5 or 6 months I will be given the oortunity to train with a Andrew Weight, a second degree, and is directly under Patrck Cassidy Snsei. I was wondering if anyone here knows anything about this man. I sure would appreciate any info on the matter. Ilike to know who i am training with.
Thank you very much.
Old 02-27-2006, 06:58 AM   #2
grondahl
Dojo: Stockholms Aikidoklubb
Sweden
Re: need the 411 on Patrick Cassidy Sensei?

http://www.aikidomontreux.com/instructors.html
Old 02-27-2006, 08:32 AM   #3
justinmaceachern
Canary Islands

Thanks Pete i appreciate all the info i can get
Old 02-27-2006, 11:01 AM   #4
PaulieWalnuts
Scotland

The guy spent 8 years living in iwama under the chief (saito sensei)
now blending is training in Iwama with other ideas on training, the guys really really good. some stuff is far out there but still worth a try.
Old 02-28-2006, 08:35 AM   #5
justinmaceachern
Canary Islands

I just cant wait to study with him and his student. Thanks for all the info guys. I like to know who i am training with.
Old 02-28-2006, 06:23 PM   #6
Michael Varin
Dojo: Aikido of Fresno
United_States

Hello Justin,

First thing, it's Andrew Haight.

Patrick is a very talented aikido instructor. If you come with an open mind, you should enjoy training with Patrick. I studied with Patrick for a few years (one year as uchi deshi) before he left the USA. The first 8 months of that time I trained alongside Andrew. He's a great guy and very capable, although I haven't seen him in a few years.

Patrick has very solid technique due to the Iwama background, but unlike many from that style he is very fluid. His timing and blending are excellent, as are his weapons skills. He likes to focus on spontaneity, and the unknown, and likes to push his students, lets just say, beyond their comfort zones. Some will accuse me of a bias because he was my sensei, but I maintain that he is among the three best aikidoka that I have ever personally trained with. Whether or not you agree with everything he says, the practice is very deep and spiritual for him. I can truly say that this man created the conditions which allowed me to totally reframe my beliefs leaving the victim mentality of my youth for a much more productive mindset.

Michael
Old 03-01-2006, 10:51 AM   #7
ChrisHein

Dojo: Aikido of Fresno
United_States

I trained under Patrick for several years, one year of that also as Uchi Deshi, and I was Uchi Deshi together (under Patrick) with "Andrew Haight" for a couple of months.

Patrick is definitely one of the best Aikido technicians I have ever met. He's not a very large man, so I think all of that physical training in Iwama made his technique superb. His weapons are very sharp, clean, and well thought out, again excellent. The basis of everything he does is Iwama, but he has later had many influences from the likes of Richard Moon and Bob Nadeau, among others. Patrick is very very passionate about Aikido, and will demand much of you.

I haven't seen Andrew in about 7 years, but when last I saw him he was already becoming a sound technician, and a great teacher. Andrew is a straight shooter, and will tell you exactly how he sees it, he's a very good Aikidoka, and a very good man.

-Chris Hein

Please visit our sponsor:

Aikido DVDs and Video Downloads - by George Ledyard Sensei & other great teachers from AikidoDVDS.Com