Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Open Discussions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Closed Thread

Old 02-25-2006, 10:11 PM   #1
JAMJTX
Dojo: Aikibudo Seishinkan
United_States
Taichi and Aikido

Does anyone think that practicing Taichi will help my Aikido?

Jim Mc Coy

Old 02-25-2006, 11:25 PM   #2
ccain85
Dojo: Chicago Aikikai
United_States
Re: Taichi and Aikido

I practice Tai Chi and Qigong. I like to believe that they compliment my aikido quite a bit. but, thats for you to decide, not me.

To win 100 victories in 100 battles is not the highest skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the highest skill.

Old 02-26-2006, 03:00 AM   #3
Mark Headleand

Dojo: Hallamshire Aikido Club
United Kingdom

Quote:
Jim McCoy wrote:
Not as much as practicing more Aikido would... (Although it shares some aspects of the art so the best idea is to try it out and see for yourself)

Old 02-26-2006, 09:42 AM   #4
Qatana

Dojo: Aikido of Petaluma, Petaluma,CA

My tai chi practice definitly helps my aikido. Of course my tai chi teacher is my aikido sensei so he does tend encourage us to find the similarities in both arts.In my threee years of training I am getting a glimmer of how a tai chi application can be integrated into aiki technique, if needed.

Q
http://www.aikidopetaluma.com/
www.knot-working.com

"It is not wise to be incautious when confronting a little smiling bald man"'- Rule #1

Old 02-26-2006, 11:01 AM   #5
SeiserL

United_States

Quote:
Jim McCoy wrote:
IMHO, while cross-training can support and compliment, it can never replace. Therefore, the same principles you hope to learn in Tai Chi, may better be learned withing the state-specific context of Aikido training.

OTOH, if you are training to cross-train, which I am a great fan of, than train on.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!

Old 02-26-2006, 04:49 PM   #6
JAMJTX
United_States

Thanks for the opinions and advice.
Obviously the time I spend in Taichi is that much less time doing Aikido, which in theory can subtract from the Aikido.

I saw the similarities between Taichi and Aikido as soon as I started Aikido. I have been teaching Doshinkan Aikido here at the Parks Dept. For those of you not familair with it, the simple answer is that Doshinkan is essentially Yoshinkan. I was teaching Shumatsu Dosa, and someone looking in thought it was a Taichi class.

I'm actually going to be taking over the Taichi class at the same rec center. So I have to spend more time practicing that. I will have to work it into my personal Aikido time.

I have read where instructors have said that Taichi helped improve thier Karate and other arts. I never knew anyone that did both Taichi and Aikido.

Thanks again.

Jim Mc Coy

Old 02-26-2006, 11:25 PM   #7
louiev

The following site might be of interest.

http://www.santarosaaikido.com/sugawara.html

Old 02-27-2006, 12:44 AM   #8
Mark Uttech
Dojo: Yoshin-ji Aikido of Marshall

Practicing aikido will help your aikido.

Old 02-27-2006, 03:29 AM   #9
batemanb

Dojo: Seibukan Aikido UK

I used to study Tai Chi alongside Aikido, did so for almost 3 years. I think that there is a lot of common ground between them, and that they do help each other to a point. I eventually came to th econclusion that I would have to choose between them though, and for me Aikido was my choice.

rgds
Bryan

A difficult problem is easily solved by asking yourself the question, "Just how would the Lone Ranger handle this?"

Old 02-27-2006, 05:50 AM   #10
koz

Dojo: Kaiso Dobun Kenkyukai
New Zealand

Quote:
Mark Uttech wrote:
Actually, I've found that often to not be the case at times.

True mastery can be gained
by letting things go their own way.

Lao Tzu - Tao Te Ching, Ch48

Old 02-27-2006, 06:04 AM   #11
doronin

Quote:
Mark Uttech wrote:
Haven't practiced tai chi yet, but from common sense standpoint, when one feels stuck with X, whatever that X is, just doing more X doesn't usually help.
This approach looks like more of a frontal linear attack on the problem, as an opposite to "blend, and redirect". We're in Aikido, aren't we?

Last edited by doronin : 02-27-2006 at 06:07 AM.

Old 02-27-2006, 08:12 AM   #12
ian

Dojo: University of Ulster, Coleriane

I think doing aikido initially helps you to understand tai-chi and to feel the movement better. Since doing a little tai-chi I've also found my balance has improved (there is a fair bit of standing on one leg). Also, its interesting to see how similar many of the techniques are.

Practically, I dount if it will improve the way you do aikido techniques, just the way you understand them.

---understanding aikido is understanding the training method---

Old 08-05-2006, 04:23 PM   #13
JAMJTX
United_States

Quote:
Ian Dodkins wrote:
Practically, I dount if it will improve the way you do aikido techniques, just the way you understand them.
Just following up on this old post.
The above statement turned out to be very true. I don't think that my Aikido is better because of doing Taichi. But I do have a better understanding and a whole different view of Aikido.

The similarity in not only technique, but basic principles has me looking at Aikido as essentially Japanese Taichi. The comparison between our Aikido (Yoshinkan) and our Taichi (Ba Men) is much like comparing different flavors of Aikido. They are more similar than different.

Jim Mc Coy

Old 08-05-2006, 06:31 PM   #14
Ken McGrew
Dojo: Aikido at UAB
United_States

Any discussion of Taichi and Aikido should mention Suguara Sensei who has written two or three books comparing Japanese and Chinese arts and has developed several Aikido Taichi forms.

Ken McGrew

Old 08-05-2006, 08:05 PM   #15
Mike Sigman
United_States

Quote:
Jim McCoy wrote:
If you do real Taiji with qi and jin in the movements it will help real Aikido that has ki and kokyu in the movements, but if you do bogus "Tai Chi" as a "form" it will not help your Aikido, particularly if your Aikido doesn't have ki and kokyu in it.

Mike

Old 08-05-2006, 08:27 PM   #16
statisticool
United_States

Quote:
Jim McCoy wrote:
Yes, and also vice versa.

A secret of internal strength?:
"Let your weight from the crotch area BE in his hands."

Old 08-05-2006, 10:22 PM   #17
Ken McGrew
Dojo: Aikido at UAB
United_States

http://www.sugawarabudo.com/sbudo_about.html

Sugawara and Xing. Aikido and Chinese Martial Arts. Volume 1: Its Fundamental Relations

Old 08-05-2006, 10:42 PM   #18
JAMJTX
United_States

I'm looking into the work of Sugawara Sensei.

I do "real Aikido", Yohsinkan, with Kokyu and my Taichi (Ba Men) is more than just forms.

What I like more than anything is how I feel after Taichi practice. Aikido leaves my knees swollen and aching, but I like the training. After Taichi I always feel really good - no joint pains. So Taichi a couple days a week gets me beneficial training that helps my Aikido with less trauma to the joints and saves wear and tear on my knees.

It's a great combination.

Thanks for al lyour valued input.

Jim Mc Coy

Old 08-05-2006, 11:15 PM   #19
David Orange
Dojo: Aozora Dojo
United_States

Quote:
Jim McCoy wrote:
I do "real Aikido", Yohsinkan, with Kokyu and my Taichi (Ba Men) is more than just forms.
Jim, I agree that tai chi is a great complement for aikido. I'm not familiar with ba men style, but I've done 24 Step and some Chen for many years. Both aikido and tai chi enhance my life and I think that's good. But maybe even more complementary than tai chi is baguazhang. Have you tried any of that?

Best to you,

David

"That which has no substance can enter where there is no room."
Lao Tzu

"Eternity forever!"

www.esotericorange.com

Old 08-05-2006, 11:52 PM   #20
clwk
United_States

Quote:
Mike Sigman wrote:
If you do real Taiji with qi and jin in the movements it will help real Aikido that has ki and kokyu in the movements, but if you do bogus "Tai Chi" as a "form" it will not help your Aikido, particularly if your Aikido doesn't have ki and kokyu in it.
I'm confused. Wouldn't bogus Tai Chi help bogus Aikido by preventing you from becoming suspicious that something might be missing? This would ensure your continued enjoyment of bogus Aikido - which would only be jeopardized by 'real Taiji'. Or . . . maybe I'm confused about what bogus Aikido's goal might be.

-ck

Old 08-06-2006, 07:50 AM   #21
Mike Sigman
United_States

Quote:
Chhi'mčd Künzang wrote:
I'm confused. Wouldn't bogus Tai Chi help bogus Aikido by preventing you from becoming suspicious that something might be missing?
You're taking the negative connotation of "help", Chhi'med. Bogus Taiji doesnt "help" bogus Aikido get any better.

Mike

Old 08-06-2006, 07:52 AM   #22
Mike Sigman
United_States

Quote:
Jim McCoy wrote:
I've never heard of Ba Men (Eight Gates) Taiji. It's not one of the recognized traditional styles.

Regards,

Mike Sigman

Old 08-06-2006, 10:40 AM   #23
Tony Wagstaffe
United Kingdom

Try doing your aikido waza without a partner except do it far slower then you'll get the jist! All martial arts have common roots how the hell to defend yourself in time of need! there is so much bull out there its just incredible!

Old 08-06-2006, 10:44 AM   #24
Tony Wagstaffe
United Kingdom

Sorry, just had to get it of my chest!

Old 08-06-2006, 11:01 AM   #25
dps

Quote:
Attilio Anthony John Wagstaffe wrote:
Try doing your aikido waza without a partner except do it far slower then you'll get the jist! All martial arts have common roots how the hell to defend yourself in time of need! there is so much bull out there its just incredible!
Absolutely correct on the slowing down of Aikido waza ( connect the techniques together in a constant flow) and the bull.
Wait for it, here comes the bull.

Trust only movement. Life happens at the level of events not of words. Trust movement. --Alfred Adler

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

Closed Thread