Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-21-2006, 04:08 AM   #1
markwalsh
Dojo: Airenjuku Brighton
United Nations
Unhappy Healing shoulder

Ruptured my AC shoulder joint - looking to mend as soon as possible as off to Ethiopia March 10 - anyone got any advice?

Currently wearing brace (kinda like a bra!) taking anti inflammatories and lager for the pain

Thanks in advance,

Mark
(the one armed gimp-boy)
Old 02-21-2006, 04:51 AM   #2
Mark Freeman
Dojo: Dartington
United Kingdom
Re: Healing shoulder

Quote:
Mark Walsh wrote:
Ruptured my AC shoulder joint - looking to mend as soon as possible as off to Ethiopia March 10 - anyone got any advice?

Currently wearing brace (kinda like a bra!) taking anti inflammatories and lager for the pain

Thanks in advance,

Mark
(the one armed gimp-boy)
I'm not sure I want to give advice to a self confessed, drug taking, transvestite, alcoholic!!

The only advice I can give if you are off to Ethiopia is dont forget -"passport, tickets, money"

I hope your shoulder gets well soon, but they can take along time to heal, and don't like to be rushed.

Cheers
Mark

Success is having what you want. Happiness is wanting what you have.
Old 02-21-2006, 05:10 AM   #3
grondahl
Dojo: Stockholms Aikidoklubb
Sweden

AC-joints don't heal well. Although depending on the injury you can get surgery but that will permanently decrease your range of motion.

Other than that: Find a good physical therapist and work on stabilizing the muscles that support it.
Old 02-21-2006, 06:14 AM   #4
crbateman

I'm feeling your pain. I'm not sure mine will ever be right again. I have not exercised the invasive surgical alternatives (can't use arthroscopy for some reason), so I have rested it, use herbals, taken much PT, and do range-of-motion work every day. Some setbacks along the way, but progress nonetheless. Long time coming, though, and I am NOT a patient person. Being 50 doesn't help, either. Hope you have better luck with yours.
Old 02-21-2006, 08:38 AM   #5
John Brockington
Dojo: Retsushinkan/Birmingham, AL
United_States

I'm sorry to hear about your injury, especially at a time when you're going to be travelling. I've separated each AC joint, and neither was very pleasant. Brace and NSAIDs are ok, but there's no "magic bullet" for healing the joint. You can have it repaired surgically, which will restore range of motion back to normal, but healing from surgery will take around 4 to 6 months. You can just let it heal without surgery, which takes about 6 weeks, and will have a prominent lump there because it will most likely not heal symmetrically or smoothly, and possibly some loss of range of motion (although I haven't noticed this much). If your occupation requires normal range of motion, you may want to go through the surgery. Avoid holding weights (like heavy luggage or gear) in the hand on the side of the separation, as this further separates the joint. If you can manage it, train only with the noninjured side. Not much you can do about the sleep problem which I suspect you're experiencing. If pain persists, you can have corticosteroids injected into the joint by a sports medicine physician. Welcome to the club!

John