Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 07-02-2001, 06:41 AM   #1
Sparky
Dojo: Aikido of Lubbock
Question Gi brands???

I know this should probably be posted in the supplies forum, but there hasn't been any activity of late.

Has anyone heard of these 2 brands.....JK or Yamamoto? If you have, do you know a website I could find them on?

Thank You.
Old 07-02-2001, 06:58 AM   #2
REK
Sparky:

Kiyota Company sells the "JK" as their house brand. They also carry Yamato Sakura, which may be the other brand to which you refer. I have owned both brands. Kiyota does not have a web site, but there is an 800 number for them in the supplies area of this website.

JK is very good for the price. I think they are in the 50 dollar range. So for the money you would spend on a Bu Jin dogi (although a superb dogi), you can get 3 JK uniforms. For me, no contest. (insert low, apologetic bow in the direction of Boulder, CO) Oh, and if you buy 4 or more at one time, you get a discount.

The Yamato sakura was extremely comfortable, but I did not find it as durable as the JK. I am fortunate to have a karate sensei who allows me to wear my judogi to his class. Whew! I have two JK dogi in my closet that are 9 yrs old, and I am still using them! Buy large, they shrink.

Hope that helps.

Rob

Last edited by REK : 07-02-2001 at 07:00 AM.

Old 07-02-2001, 07:12 AM   #3
ian

Dojo: University of Ulster, Coleriane
I'm not sure how good quality these makes are, but I recently bought a very high quality gi which I expected to shrink, and it didn't! Unfortunately once you've washed them they won't take them back either! Therefore it may be worth talking to the person who sells them to get the right size.

(do you get pre-shrunk gi, that would save a lot of hassle; all my gi tend to end up too large or too small!)

Ian

P.S. Cheers for the e-mail Rob
Old 07-02-2001, 12:07 PM   #4
Sparky
Dojo: Aikido of Lubbock
Rob,

I tried on a JK top size 5 the other day that was definitely broken in. It fit nicely in the shoulders, but w/ a little less room in the belly ......I'm hoping that will not be the case for too long and a 5 will be a perfect fit.
Old 07-02-2001, 12:53 PM   #5
guest1234
Quote:
Originally posted by REK
Sparky:
JK is very good for the price. I think they are in the 50 dollar range. So for the money you would spend on a Bu Jin dogi (although a superb dogi), you can get 3 JK uniforms. For me, no contest. (insert low, apologetic bow in the direction of Boulder, CO) Oh, and if you buy 4 or more at one time, you get a discount.
Rob
I get no kickback from Bu Jin, but I must put in a comment on their gi's, for those who are willing to pay the price.
Imagine you are at a seminar in a hot location (or testing, or any other sweat-inducing situation), trying to stay hydrated, and now have five minutes in which to shed your hakama, deal with that knotted/twisted drawstring, get rid of the fluid you've been hydrating with, again deal with the drawstring, and hop back into the hakama---hopefully not too long a line! A thing of the past with Bu Jin's pants with the web belt---I absolutely love them, and I'm not even a guy, who could take full advantage of the zippered fly .
And for the women out there, yes, I think the women's top is definately a good idea. At 5'5" 115#, I needed to buy a size 4 in the standard gi, which wraped around me three times. More than once I've been 'skinned' of that kind of top by a large partner in ushiroryokatadori. The Bu Jin's women's top stays put. I think the heavy weight is too heavy in the pants, but when I wore a hakama it didn't matter so I mixed lt wt pants with heavy tops---now that I'm somewhere I don't wear a hakama, I think it looks OK anyway.

Last edited by guest1234 : 07-02-2001 at 12:56 PM.
Old 07-02-2001, 01:16 PM   #6
lt-rentaroo
Hello,

I'm with Colleen on this one. Recently, I found myself in need of a new Dogi jacket. My wife was also in need of a new Dogi jacket. I searched around and comparison shopped. My wife and I were not in need of new Dogi pants, so I decided to order two new heavy-weight Dogi jackets from Bu Jin. Well, both my wife and I have decided that the Bu Jin Dogi jackets we ordered are the best ever. Yes, they were a greater investment than the ones from other suppliers, but the quality of construction and the nice features are wonderful. For example, the lining in the jackets soaks up excessive sweat like a sponge, keeping your jacket from looking like you showered in it. The jacket ties keep it wrapped around you, eliminating the possibility of an embarassing moment (such as having the jacket pulled off of you) during katadori attacks. Additionally, the three-quarter length sleeves really do make katatedori attacks much simpler. And of course, the Dogi jackets come in a special version for women aikido students. My wife especially liked this feature because as Colleen mentioned, they are made for a woman's figure. Have a good day!

LOUIS A. SHARPE, JR.
Old 07-02-2001, 02:00 PM   #7
Sherman Byas
Dojo: Anshindokan Dojo
A question to the ladies. Have any of you tried Bujin's sports bra for ladies? My wife is coming back to the dojo after a medical leave and I've suggested a ladies top and s'bra.

Help!

Sherman (humble student)
Old 07-02-2001, 02:12 PM   #8
guest1234
I haven't because I hate shopping for bras and already know a brand that works for me, but three ladies I've trained with wouldn't want to use anything but Bu Jin's.