Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-02-2006, 07:47 AM   #1
Mato-san
Iceland
How did you find your dojo

When I was searching for dojos,. I was a large guy, heavy set, powerful, built and not looking for traditional but classical. (Lets no go into that) Most sensei were intimidated by my size and other factors. I then rolled on a sensei, that without prior knowledge of my training or capability, simply said yeah bring it on, this was after watching lengthy sessions on what he had to offer. I took him straight away ,his confidence in what he does won me over. And I made the right choice! I am twice his size and strenght but he knows his stuff.(That has proved itself) This was my journey how bout you. Was it word of mouth, was it circumstance. Because you devote your life to this. How did you choose your mentor?

Before you drive or steer your vehicle, you must first start the engine, release the brake and find gear!
Old 02-02-2006, 07:59 AM   #2
PhilMyKi
Dojo: Seibukan, Milton Keynes
United Kingdom
Re: How did you find your dojo

I shopped around and chose the one geographically closest for my first night. Without inflating any egos (because in Aikido there are none) I took to my present club straight away. The instructor on the night was very welcoming (I was one of five newbies on that night) the other students were great and helpful. I have been hooked since. I trained one a week for the first few weeks, then unemployment gave me the time to move it up to twice a week, now work pressures are really on I need something to center myself so three times a week is required!

How did I find it? The Internet.

Vorsprung durch Aikido!
Old 02-02-2006, 08:14 AM   #3
Nick Simpson
Dojo: White Rose Aikido - Durham University
United Kingdom

When I went to the university sports fair I knew there would be an aikido club stall there, so having read angry white pyjama's 2 years earlier and been interested in aikido since, I checked it out. Got the days and times and turned up for the first lesson. I loved it. So I kept going. Joined White Rose Aikikai a few months later and never looked back. I love the people I train with and the ways in which we train, I have some great sempai and kohai and instructors of course!

They're all screaming about the rock n roll, but I would say that it's getting old. - REFUSED.
Old 02-02-2006, 08:33 AM   #4
Mato-san
Iceland

Hep, I think the atmosphere does alot for it, but in choice of dojo it is hard ,without the bonding that comes from the ongoing training with all involved. And phil I hope you didn`t think I was trying to feed my own ego by refering to myself as large or powerful, cause like you said (no place in aikido) that is why I chose it for its classical nature. Like a car I would go for classical not tough and powerful. Just full blown style. That just what I like.

Before you drive or steer your vehicle, you must first start the engine, release the brake and find gear!
Old 02-02-2006, 08:39 AM   #5
John A Butz
Dojo: Itten Dojo, Enola PA
United_States

A college friend of mine was looking to get into some kind of sword art, and he drug me along to watch an aikido class at a local dojo. We both thought it was interesting, and the costs were right for poor college students, so we thought we would try it for a while. An I am still there. I never really thought about committing to a lifetime or devoting my life to training, just about making it to the next class, then the one after that, and so on. Funny how that turns into a serious commitment...
Old 02-02-2006, 08:44 AM   #6
Mato-san
Iceland

Aikido will take its addictive toll on you.

Old 02-02-2006, 08:47 AM   #7
Arewem
United_States

I actually tried two different Aikido Dojos in NYC, both were very impersonal, both were extremely large, thus i felt after 2 weeks in each I was not getting the most out of the classes. I have since found another dojo, smaller more personal except I am no longer training Aikido I am now training Brazilian JiuJitsu. I respect many of the philosophies and traditions of Aikido which is why I frequent this site, but felt I was not able to a find a true "home" in the Aikido classes I attended. I am a month and a half into my new training and from day one my instructor new my name and has been able to give strong personal direction in class. The bottom line for me is finding a place where you will be comfortable and feel you are getting the attention you need to grow-regardless of the art (i have trained in several).

This is is not an advertisement for changing your studies, only my personal experience.
Old 02-02-2006, 09:19 AM   #8
ajbarron
Dojo: Calgary Aikikai

Read a book from the library in 1972 (I believe it was "The Dynamic Sphere")
Looked in the Yellow-pages in 2000 and started. So I'm not sure if I found Aikido at the library or in the phone book. !!!!
Old 02-02-2006, 09:34 AM   #9
Matt Molloy
Dojo: Azami Kai
Scotland

I was looking for an Aikido Dojo in Edinburgh when I wandered into the Elephant House (Cafe in which J K Rowling apparently wrote some of the first Harry Potter book) for a drink and found the flier on the wall there for Azami Kai.

Went along to see them and I haven't had cause to regret it at all.

Damn cafe must have some magic about it after all.

Cheers,

Matt.
Old 02-02-2006, 09:49 AM   #10
Trish Greene
Dojo: Aikido-Kajukenbo Self Defense Center
United_States

I went to go pick up my son from Scouts (11yo) and couldn't find him. One of the Dad's tol dme that he was next door at the new aikido dojo. I found him and a half a dozen other kids there watching Miller Sensei practice. From that time, we were both hooked!
Old 02-02-2006, 10:09 AM   #11
Lan Powers
Dojo: Aikido of Midland, Midland TX

Found the art through word of mouth. Found the dojo through the internet. Found a family when I found them.
Lan

Play nice, practice hard, but remember, this is a MARTIAL art!
Old 02-02-2006, 10:43 AM   #12
Qatana

Dojo: Aikido of Petaluma, Petaluma,CA

Internet. Amazingly enough there were Two dojo in this small town, with exactly the same lineage. I chose the one with the Less Famous Sensei, and have never regretted my choice. Even on the net, I could Feel my choice.
And now a Third aikikai dojo is opening here!

Q
http://www.aikidopetaluma.com/
www.knot-working.com

"It is not wise to be incautious when confronting a little smiling bald man"'- Rule #1
Old 02-02-2006, 10:44 AM   #13
aikigirl10
Dojo: Aikido of Ashland
United_States

My grandma took me there as a little kid, because my grandma's weird like that.

*Paige*

But i love my grandma.
Old 02-02-2006, 02:15 PM   #14
Larry Cuvin

Dojo: Oregon Ki Society
United_States

Took my two daughters to an Asian grocery celebrating Asia week. Saw jujitsu, kung fu, and kendo demonstration and they both decided that it was cool to do martial arts. My older daughter search the Internet for the martial art that she would be interested in doing and found the Oregon Ki Society.
I did not plant to join for I though that I was too old to start (44) plus I have a lower back injury. I took my kids one Thursday night for an intro and I was blown away by all the aspect of the art most especially the KI part, so I joined (with a medical waiver). Now, almost a year and a half later, it still continues to amaze me.
Old 02-02-2006, 02:29 PM   #15
Lyle Bogin
Dojo: Shin Budo Kai
United_States

I tried aikido twice before, and thought it was ridiculous and useless for the most part. But I learned a couple things and got a little older and now it's my style of choice. I was undecided on SBK for about a year, but Imaizumi Sensei allowed me to take ukemi for him pretty quickly and the advanced students were able to handle themselves and crack good jokes.

So, now I'm in my sixth year there...
Old 02-02-2006, 02:33 PM   #16
Dajo251
Dojo: Aikido Downtown
United_States

Well about 8 years ago I was training at a dojo and Sensei retired...well I quit after that because I either didnt like the other instructors in the state or the drive was a bit to much, until I learned that one of the senior students from my old school opened his own, and that is now where I am training

Dan Hulley
Old 02-02-2006, 02:34 PM   #17
justin
United Kingdom

my karate instructor used to study aikido and bring a lot of his teachings into our classes i kinda grew apart from karate and there was a natural progression into aikido for me, aikido in wales is very strong with lots of good dojos to choice from i looked around and ended up with the one 200 hundred yards away from my house and havent looked back coming up to my first years training.
Old 02-03-2006, 04:49 PM   #18
Grammaton
Dojo: Sowakan Dojo (soon)
Canada

i did karate for a few years but when the dojo moved i was no longer able to get there, so i went looking for a new martial art, found aikido it had everything i wanted (mainly the "spiritual" side). I found a dojo in my town on the internet but it didnt have a website and it was in a pretty shady part of town so i never went. Put it off for about a year did some body weight training and qigong to lose weight and get strong, then while i was talking to my friend about martial arts i remembered aikido and i found a new dojo (first on google) thats not to far away and is very focused on balancing your ki. I am planning on starting there next week.
Old 02-03-2006, 06:53 PM   #19
Jorge Garcia
Dojo: Shudokan School of Aikido

Our family had just finished a meal at a Chinese restaurant and we were getting in the car when my 10 year old son informed me that he had entered a contest. As I was starting the car, I asked him ,"What contest?"
He replied, "The one they were announcing at the cash register." I learned from my wife that at the cash register, there was a little box where you could put in an entry form to win a free karate lesson. When I heard that, I told my son that wasn't a real contest. I explained that everyone who puts in a little card "wins". He couldn't believe that but sure enough, a week later, he received a letter in the mail announcing that he had "won". I took him to the karate school and we went in and he joined a class of 23 other "winners". The lesson proceeded. My son spent an uncomfortable hour awkwardly punching the air while feebly saying "Kiai". As we left there, I asked him how he felt about it and he seemed disappointed and said he didn't know. We were driving down past the other places in the shopping center when we suddenly noticed another martial arts place a few doors down and we could see through the windows that some men were working out in there. In an effort to uplift my son's deflated spirit, I said to him,"Come on son! Let's get down and see what's going on in here". We went in and sat down and everything in our world changed.
The first thing that greeted us was the smell of incense burning. The teacher was dressed differently than anyone I had ever seen and the difference between this place and the karate school was immense. Everyone was serious and quiet. They were training without talking and what they were doing looked impressive, mysterious and interesting. This was Aikido.
I leaned over in the sofa were were sitting on and I said to my son, "Say, why don't you try this! I know there aren't any kids here but think about it. If you do martial arts with a bunch of kids, you'll do martial arts like a kid but if you do martial arts with the men, maybe you'll do your martial arts like man." He said OK and we signed him up to Aikido there.
I would take him every day and watch from the sofa. It was summer and it was hot and there was no AC in the dojo. One day, the instructor came over to me and said,"Mr. Garcia, why don't you get your rear end off that sofa and join us. You can sweat sitting on that sofa or you can sweat with us out here learning something useful and constructive."
That was almost 11 years ago. Today, my son and I are still training together. We have been all over the U.S. doing aikido and very few men have spent as much time with their sons as I have with mine. We are directors of our own Aikido Association and we teach in three dojos that we have started ourselves. We have the privilege of helping many people in this art that we love so much. All because a 10 year old little boy filled out a slip of paper for a free karate lesson.
Best wishes,

"It is the philosophy that gives meaning to the method of training."
Old 02-08-2006, 01:18 AM   #20
Tom Liauw

Dojo: CSUN Kodokai
United_States

Great story, Jorge!

When I was a kid I took Tae Kwon Do, the place (notice I said "place") where I train was really impersonal and nothing more than 30 fourth-graders doing calisthenics.
Old 02-08-2006, 06:22 AM   #21
Mark Freeman
Dojo: Dartington
United Kingdom

Quote:
Thomas Liauw wrote:
Great story, Jorge!
I'll second that!

Success is having what you want. Happiness is wanting what you have.
Old 02-08-2006, 03:54 PM   #22
allyismycopilot
Japan

I figured this would be as good a post as any...

My father is a life-long Marine and as such I spent 10 years on an Air Station in Southern Japan. Throughout elementary and middle school (and for most of my high school years) I was quite the runt and as such a good target for bullies.

During recess in 4th grade it was the worst and I used to "fake" an illness or injury so I could hide out in the nurses office. Our school nurse was a real sweet older lady named Mrs. Woodland. I believe she was in her late 50s at the time. A tiny woman. Looking back I have no doubt she saw through each one of my excuses for coming to her office...

Eventually during my visits to her office she started telling me about Aikido and how even though she was so small she was able to become proficient and she had even started later in life. If I recall correctly she was a Shodan at that point and had been training for a good 7-8 years. Her description of Aikido stirred my imagination as it sounded nothing like Karate to me which I hated after only a few classes and had begged my father to let me quit. It sounded almost magical to me. lol.

Not long after I had to write a report for Culture Class (a class where we learned about Japan and studied the language) about something Japanese. With my interest already piqued I picked Aikido. Mrs. Woodland was unable to take me because she couldn't train for a while (illness) so she gave the directions to the dojo to my father and he took me one night to observe a class.

The dojo itself was really hard to find as it was down a maze of small streets behind the Ginza and on a second floor of a small concrete building. When we finally found it the class had already started so we slipped in and watched. I sat there amazed and immediately begged my dad to let me take the classes. Unfortunately right after I started Mrs. Woodland retired and moved back to the states due to her illness (cancer I believe) so I never got a chance to see her in action and from what I hear her Iriminage was pretty good

That's basically how I found the dojo I trained at until I graduated high school and came back to the US. Since the 8 years I've been back I've only been able to train sporadically but that will soon be remedied as I will be moving back to Japan in April.

Last edited by allyismycopilot : 02-08-2006 at 04:02 PM. Reason: bad grammar...
Old 02-10-2006, 07:10 AM   #23
Mato-san
Iceland

Nice story Richard.

Old 02-10-2006, 07:14 AM   #24
Mato-san
Iceland

Also Jorge, Nice stuff. This is aikido. Dont you just adore it? Really?
I am loving that post Jorge.

Old 02-10-2006, 08:09 AM   #25
Amelia Smith

Dojo: Martha's Vineyard Aikido Club

I think I must have heard about aikido when I was in Japan as an exchange student for 2 months, in high school, but it went in one ear and out the other. Kendo, now that was impressive!

Years later, I read a novel which included a brief, totally unrealistic portrayal of aikido. It piqued my interest, but for some reason I didn't pursue it right away -- I just didn't imagine there might be a dojo in this small town, when I hadn't been able to find kendo anywhere.

A few years after that, I was sitting on the general store porch drinking coffee with some well-read housepainters of my acquaintance, Bob & Bob. Bob mentioned "the dojo" told me where it was, and a little while later I drove by. I checked out the class, then I just started. It immediately became part of my life.

Inspired in part by this thread/survey, I've finally put up a website: http://www.mvaikido.org/ I'm still working out the kinks, but it's there.

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!