Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Open Discussions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-02-2006, 03:02 AM   #1
ian

Dojo: University of Ulster, Coleriane
Grr! arguments on aikiweb

I feel it is extremely important that heated arguments are an important part of free expression on aikiweb. Does any moron disagree with me?

---understanding aikido is understanding the training method---
Old 02-02-2006, 03:12 AM   #2
PhilMyKi
Dojo: Seibukan, Milton Keynes
United Kingdom
Re: arguments on aikiweb

I don't disagree in anyway in what you said. However, we MUST draw the line at bigotry of any kind.

Vorsprung durch Aikido!
Old 02-02-2006, 03:18 AM   #3
Edwin Neal
Dojo: Ronin
United_States

what the heck are you talking about you pencil neck geek... there is no such thing as 'heated argument' (to use your idiotic phrase) in aikido... go tell your sensei not to drop you on your head so much since it has further impaired your already limited mental functions... and if you don't agree with that you can "kiss me blarney stone"... and you can thank your lucky charms i'm not in ireland or i'd show you a thing or two...

Edwin Neal

Old 02-02-2006, 03:22 AM   #4
ian

Ah, you would say that!

Only joking. To briefly divert from my attempt at humour, this maybe has philosophical relevance for the stuff going on in the news relating to a Danish newspaper showing humorous pictures of Mohammed (not that I've seen them). What is bigotry, and what is useful comment? Does it relate more to the underlying intention than to the action or words?

Old 02-02-2006, 03:31 AM   #5
ian

P.S. Edwin
- my sensei is far bigger than yours and is gonna kick his ass, take over your dojo, and then make you sweep the floor for 12 years telling you it's the only way to true enlightenment in aikido. What's more I'm going to report you to the peace commision for racial comments (though I doubt I'll get too far, 'cos I'm English, and as you must know being a stupid Yank - you are not allowed to make racist comments about 'minorities' but you can insult perceivd 'majorities' to your hearts content.)

P.S. I'm coming over to Maryland this year but that doesn't mean I'll be wanting to see one thing of yours, let alone two. (to be sure...)

P.P.S.

Old 02-02-2006, 03:38 AM   #6
Yann Golanski

Dojo: York Shodokan Aikido
United Kingdom

Quote:
Ian Dodkins wrote:
To briefly divert from my attempt at humour, this maybe has philosophical relevance for the stuff going on in the news relating to a Danish newspaper showing humorous pictures of Mohammed (not that I've seen them).
Link to the pictures, for those who wish to see them. To be honest, they are not offensive at all. It's just humour -- and not terribly funny at that. Do (not?) click here.

Quote:
Ian Dodkins wrote:
What is bigotry, and what is useful comment? Does it relate more to the underlying intention than to the action or words?
As soon as anyone/anything tells you to either fear or hate something, then you will get bigotry. If you add a dash of "we're better because..." you are sure to get fanatics.

Eg: <bigotry>There is no competition in Aikido and anyone who does competition cannot do real Aikido.</bigotry>
Or
<opinion>In my understanding of Aikido and for myself, I do like the idea of competition. </opinion>

The people who understand, understand prefectly.
yann@york-aikido.org York Shodokan Aikido
Old 02-02-2006, 03:43 AM   #7
PhilMyKi
Dojo: Seibukan, Milton Keynes
United Kingdom

Where is Mr Smith? He will 'add' volumes to this discussion!

Vorsprung durch Aikido!
Old 02-02-2006, 03:49 AM   #8
Edwin Neal
Dojo: Ronin
United_States

i think that when one is offended by someone else's comments you must decide why it offends you... if it is true then you must understand this... if it is false you should ignore it...

ps Ian, just what i thought 'someone like you' would say... and your sensei swept my sensei's floors for twelve years and didn't get close to enlightenment...

Edwin Neal

Old 02-02-2006, 03:50 AM   #9
Dirk Hanss

Dojo: Aikidoschule Trier
Germany

Quote:
Ian Dodkins wrote:
P.S. Edwin
- my sensei is far bigger than yours and is gonna kick his ass, take over your dojo, and then make you sweep the floor for 12 years telling you it's the only way to true enlightenment in aikido. What's more I'm going to report you to the peace commision for racial comments (though I doubt I'll get too far, 'cos I'm English, and as you must know being a stupid Yank - you are not allowed to make racist comments about 'minorities' but you can insult perceivd 'majorities' to your hearts content.)

P.S. I'm coming over to Maryland this year but that doesn't mean I'll be wanting to see one thing of yours, let alone two. (to be sure...)

P.P.S.
Ian, this is not an offence, but obviously you did not understand anything about aikido.

While there are some good big sensei, size is not qualifying to kick someones ass. Even thinking this is a fault, writing this is BIGotry.Your sensei may come to mine, who is very small and he not only is an excellent aikidoka, but applies aiki principles (highly effective atemi, like grabbing your groins) and he will give your sensei a very good lesson, he probably never recovers from.

And do not say bad things about Yanks (though I have to admit most are true). As an Englishman in the remaining occupied part of EIRE, you better shut up.

Dirk
Certainly the best 3rd kyu of our dojo and thus the fourth best aikidoka the world has ever seen (Osensei, Saotome sensei, my sensei, me) and that is probably an understatement.
Old 02-02-2006, 03:50 AM   #10
happysod
Dojo: Kiburn, London, UK
United Kingdom

I never get heated in aikiweb arguments as I always realise that the fool arguing with me is no more than the skidmark on the underpants of humanity, as evinced by the fact that they're arguing with me in the first place. If they don't realise this fact, it's obvious that they are stupid as well as ill-informed and ugly (an obvious extrapolation of the facts).

Aikiweb is merely a venue where I can entertain myself by occasionally uplifting your poor little lives with my gems of wisdom, so arguments are therefore futile and Ian has got it totally wrong as usual. As for Yann's rather puerile attempt to play the shodothug card yet again, well we all like to play in the sandbox when young (competition), but most of us grow out of it (smiles condescendingly in Yann's direction).

[advert] Need to make enemies? Hand-crafted insults delivered to your in-box for a mere 250 Lats per month [/advert]
Old 02-02-2006, 06:26 AM   #11
ian

Thanks for putting a link in there Yann. I thought they were a bit offensive (esp. given the polarisation that certain christian and muslim fundamentalists seem to be trying to achieve), and tend to suggest a slur against Islam as a faith. But to be honest, just as Christianity could be associated with Capatilism, Islam tends to have associations with repression (at least through the media we get). I think if an Iranian newspaper had done a cartoon of Jesus throwing Bush and his comrades out of the temple, or Jesus running on water across the Arabian Gulf towards Iraq with a rocket launcher on his shoulder, there would have been uproar from secular christians.

Personally I feel religious groups are given far too much power in politics. Someone with a sound philosophical and humanist suggestion (even if they've researched social studies) has less say than the local bishop. Many religions are just 'clubs' that allow you to have more power as a group. There are many things in the news I find offensive (mostly the way that news is delivered to us as if we are idiots), but there's not much I can do about it!

Old 02-02-2006, 06:30 AM   #12
ian

P.S. I should have considered that this would be an insult-a-thon directed towards me. Never mind, at least I can take it...

...unlike you lot.

P.P.S. Dirk, when you say 'remaining' occupied area of Eire; are you suggesting that it won't remain like that much longer? I can see we're getting on dangerous ground! Thank goodness for NATO!

Last edited by ian : 02-02-2006 at 06:32 AM.

Old 02-02-2006, 08:51 AM   #13
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States

Arguements? Y'all don't know what an 'arguement' is...

{looks around for baseball bat}

WHACK!

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 02-02-2006, 10:15 AM   #14
Nick Simpson
Dojo: White Rose Aikido - Durham University
United Kingdom

I am elite. That means I am better than you all, the only reason I associate with people on here is to laugh at them and their attempts to get closer to being someone half as cool as myself. Lolz @ j00 @11 !!!

They're all screaming about the rock n roll, but I would say that it's getting old. - REFUSED.
Old 02-02-2006, 11:15 AM   #15
happysod
Dojo: Kiburn, London, UK
United Kingdom

Quote:
Lolz @ j00 @11 !!!
Three exclamation marks and uses "leet speak" - need I say more?
Old 02-02-2006, 06:12 PM   #16
chris w

United_States
Wink Re: arguments on aikiweb

the argument sketch
Old 02-03-2006, 03:00 AM   #17
Lee Mulgrew
Dojo: Dynamic Aikido Noquet Hartlepool England
United Kingdom

Quote:
Chris Willenbacher wrote:
nuff said!
Old 02-03-2006, 03:35 AM   #18
Dirk Hanss

Dojo: Aikidoschule Trier
Germany

Quote:
Ian Dodkins wrote:
P.S. I should have considered that this would be an insult-a-thon directed towards me. Never mind, at least I can take it...

...unlike you lot.

P.P.S. Dirk, when you say 'remaining' occupied area of Eire; are you suggesting that it won't remain like that much longer? I can see we're getting on dangerous ground! Thank goodness for NATO!
First there are no insults from my side. I am just telling the truth and giving some tips for human relationships.

Nato did not help any side in Cyprus, they would not help you either.
But you should thank for Georgie not being catholic and the greater oil fields lying in the North Sea. Otherwise he would show, what his view of democracy looks like.

Dirk
Old 02-03-2006, 06:55 AM   #19
Nick Simpson
United Kingdom

'Three exclamation marks and uses "leet speak" - need I say more?'

1 5@1d 1 w@5 133t!

They're all screaming about the rock n roll, but I would say that it's getting old. - REFUSED.
Old 02-07-2006, 06:16 AM   #20
emma.mason15
Dojo: Shima Arashi Dojo
United Kingdom

hey ,,, im a lover not a fighter

Dance your cares away .... worry for another day ... let the music play .... down in fraggle rock!

when bored ... do as I do. Poke a patient!
Old 02-07-2006, 09:45 AM   #21
Lan Powers
Dojo: Aikido of Midland, Midland TX

Quote:
Lee Mulgrew wrote:
nuff said!
No it isn't

Lan

Play nice, practice hard, but remember, this is a MARTIAL art!
Old 02-07-2006, 11:07 AM   #22
Erik

This whole thread is bullshit!

And it's not getting a smiley either....

Old 02-07-2006, 11:51 AM   #23
chris w

United_States

Quote:
Lan Powers wrote:
No it isn't
yes it is
Old 02-12-2006, 07:29 AM   #24
Nick Simpson
United Kingdom

1 w1LL srs1y p@y U 2 5hut teh f*ck up!

Old 02-12-2006, 03:47 PM   #25
Jeanne Shepard

Dojo: Puget Sound Aikikai

I think you guys are all charming.

Jeanne

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!