Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-03-2006, 04:35 AM   #26
kokyu
Hong Kong
Re: Akido notebook

Quote:
Mark Uttech wrote:
When katate-tori begins- who grabs you? Terry Dobson once said: "the uke brings your death."
I like this one... although I'm not sure how this will affect tori's actions towards uke during practice
Old 02-03-2006, 06:49 AM   #27
John A Butz
Dojo: Itten Dojo, Enola PA
United_States
Re: Aikido notebook

I record the hours I train and the subjects I train on just to have a reference for what I have been through in a given time period.

As far as what I write down, I try to remember the corrections and the key technical points that Sensei gives us during practice. When I write my lesson plans for the class I teach, I reference what he said so that I can use the same language and work on the same points he is working on.

I have never been able to capture the actual movements of the techniques with text, so I stick to these "check-points" when I write my notebook.
Old 02-03-2006, 07:07 AM   #28
Amanda
Dojo: Exeter Ki Aikido
United Kingdom

I am a beginner and the only sort of notes I have ever kept are those about which name goes with which technique. Trying to right down more infomation and ideas might be helpful. Is there a 'right' time to start a notebook?
Old 02-03-2006, 09:36 AM   #29
Lan Powers
Dojo: Aikido of Midland, Midland TX

"Now" is good

Lan

Play nice, practice hard, but remember, this is a MARTIAL art!
Old 02-04-2006, 04:01 AM   #30
Kris Garland
Dojo: Commerce
United_States

thanks for the the advice and how-tos . But I don't think we do anything with names and such...It could be that I've only gone to two lessons...But i still don't recall him giving any names with anything...he just refers to them as 1 through 10 or 21 through 30. Maybe its because i'm new and he is just trying to make sure I get the moves down?
Old 02-04-2006, 06:34 AM   #31
Mato-san
Iceland

Quote:
Kris Garland wrote:
How would you go about keeping an aikido notebook? I've never been much on taking notes other then when it was required for a grade. So needless to say I'm way in the dark on note taking. All of you have mentioned how much it helps you so I want to start one for that,but I also think if I start taking an aikido one It will help me when college rolls around.

~Kris
Kris, Just try it, I also never kept notes on anything ,diary, schedule you name it ,nothing. But seriously my opinion is if you learn something new, record it, if its old you already have it recorded so it helps, only if you reflect on it once in a while. Also I guess the notebook depends on how serious you are about remembering the intricacies. Either way it helps

Before you drive or steer your vehicle, you must first start the engine, release the brake and find gear!
Old 03-21-2006, 08:23 PM   #32
ccain85
Dojo: Chicago Aikikai
United_States

i add my first entry to my aikido notebook tonight before and after class. i noticed something about it though; it didnt have any technical points written in it. all it consisted of was me complaining about posture, shoulders being tight, not being able to do sankyo to one of the new guys, etc. is something wrong here?

To win 100 victories in 100 battles is not the highest skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the highest skill.
Old 03-22-2006, 05:29 AM   #33
Mark Uttech
Dojo: Yoshin-ji Aikido of Marshall

Writing complaints is very similiar to getting stuck in Spring mud. The best way to write complaints is to write them and when you are finished, crumple up the paper and throw it into a wastebasket. An advanced technique is throwing it directly into a fire.
Old 03-24-2006, 02:48 PM   #34
Ben Eaton
Dojo: Loughborough Uni
United Kingdom

Reading this thread I've started to write up on the computer "everything I know" about each technique in series, and in doing so I've found I remember a lot more of the little points sensei talks about in lesson, and think, well actually what is it that I do that makes them hit the floor, or roll across the room?

It's the same way when I get asked to guide a new person through a technique or form, when asked to put something into words or to describe a technique, you are forced to put more thought into it than you (possibly) normally would. Without this you can get into the habit of "ah yes I have this down, I just do... THIS. Voila.", instead of studying what it is you are doing.
I found that writing these down is definitely benefiting my mental process, and through that my physical actions in training. Thanks to Mark for starting this thread!
Old 04-23-2006, 07:01 AM   #35
Ed Shockley
Dojo: aikikai of Philadelphia
United_States

I am busy at work on my second two hundred page notebook and find the process invaluable. I record key philosophical comments, pictures of techniques, occasional emails in response to training, addresses of dojos, extensive notes from seminars... The content is less significant than the meditation on technique and thought required to draw movement or articulate a philosophy. I special treat is when no one arrives for the 6:45am Thursday morning class and I imagine I am experiencing a private class with O'Sensei. (Don't think I'm nuts, just the picture feels better than training alone.) Invariably new insights arrive.
Old 04-27-2006, 12:03 PM   #36
Lucy Smith
Dojo: Samurai Dojo
Uruguay

I just keep a portfolio with techniques drawings and names, dojo rules and the requirements for kyu and dan gradings, but I liked the idea of an Aikido journal. I'll start tomorrow after class.

Old 04-30-2006, 07:28 AM   #37
Bowjamer
Dojo: Aikido of Greater Milwaukee/ Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin
United_States

jotting down notes right after class would be the ticket but cant carry around note pad and pencil durring class like I would need too and get the finner points recorded.
Old 04-30-2006, 10:45 AM   #38
mickeygelum
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

Dojo: Warren Budokan, Ohio USA
United_States
Re: Aikido notebook

I require my students to keep a notebook/journal, in their own words....it is the simplest way to refresh their memory of technique, practice, history or whatever...I have alot of students that hold dan ranks in other styles, equating one movement/technique to another is vital to their ability to refresh or learn the new form...

I still keep a journal...even after all these years....

Please visit our sponsor:

Budo Bear Patterns - Sewing pattern for Women's (and Men's) dogi.