Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Weapons

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 01-29-2006, 02:49 PM   #26
Alec Corper

Dojo: Itten Suginami Dojo, Nunspeet
Netherlands
Re: live blade/bokken

OK, we're pretty much eye to eye. Yes the basic techniques are applicable against the average attack, but to study blade defense properly is the same problem as studying empty hand: to defend you need to know how to attack, and most people have neither the time nor the inclination to study blade use (it's not nice!) and you need skilled attackers to hone that skill. The other factor, of course, is the adrenaline rush that comes from a blade being waved at you, but learning to cope with the loss of fine motor skills is not something we train for. To be perfectly honest I'm not sure that most Aikido students would really want to, since it costs a certain innocence that might be better preserved. Not because, as some posters in the past have suggested, that all Aikidoka are wimps, but we are basically nice guys, not super Rambo ninja wannabes

If your temper rises withdraw your hand, if your hand rises withdraw your temper.
Old 01-29-2006, 03:31 PM   #27
Edwin Neal
Dojo: Ronin
United_States

yeah i think the peace and love factions miss the fact that to learn how to defend and attack are both necessary... doesn't mean you have to be a rambo-ninja...

Edwin Neal

Old 01-30-2006, 04:57 AM   #28
rottunpunk
Dojo: koteikan aikido centre
United Kingdom

[quote=Matt Molloy] I've been doing all in my power up here to convince people that Lancastrians are actually human (with limited success at that) and your comments could undermine my efforts.
QUOTE]
its ok. i come from the right side of the penines until 4 years ago.
i think prestonians are wierd too. Barm cake? whats that?
Old 01-30-2006, 06:29 AM   #29
Nick Simpson
Dojo: White Rose Aikido - Durham University
United Kingdom

I wouldnt recommend it, but getting cut was both a valuable and eye - opening experiance for me

They're all screaming about the rock n roll, but I would say that it's getting old. - REFUSED.
Old 01-30-2006, 09:12 AM   #30
kohaku

Dojo: Shudokan Aikido, Preston
United Kingdom

i emmigrated from yorkshire to lancashire (preston to be precise) and i dont prestonians are weird at all. which dojo are you at deborah? the one at strettles?
Old 01-31-2006, 08:29 AM   #31
rottunpunk
United Kingdom

ah see-yorkshire-arians are pretty much similar to lancyshirearians. im from darlo in co. durham originally. and im wierd anyways so i guess i cant really comment.

yes indeedy i am at strettles
forgive me if ive already met you but dont recognise your name.

is there another aiki dojo in preston.
ive heard people talk of a seitie iai club, but dont know where it is. fortunately i havnt bumped into it yet.
Old 01-31-2006, 08:41 AM   #32
Matt Molloy
Dojo: Azami Kai
Scotland

Quote:
Deborah Bell wrote:
its ok. i come from the right side of the penines until 4 years ago.
i think prestonians are wierd too. Barm cake? whats that?
Which would be the wrong side of the pennines from where I was brought up.

Even as a native Lancastrian though, I have to admit that the Preston lot are a bit wierd, painting the outside of the pubs purple? What's that about? (My brother lived there for quite a while)

Cheers,

Matt.
Old 01-31-2006, 08:47 AM   #33
Matt Molloy
Dojo: Azami Kai
Scotland

Quote:
Deborah Bell wrote:
ive heard people talk of a seitie iai club, but dont know where it is. fortunately i havnt bumped into it yet.
Well according to the BKA site, there's one in Blackburn which wouldn't be too far away from you. The only JSA dojo in Preston though seems to be Andy Fisher's Kendo dojo but then I've heard that the BKA isn't the be all and end all when it comes to Iai.

http://www.kendo.org.uk/dojo/england_nw.shtml

Cheers,

Matt.
Old 01-31-2006, 10:39 AM   #34
kohaku

United Kingdom

my dojo is just down the road from yours. unit 12 fylde road industrial estate. we train in shudokan aikido which is a school of yoshinkan aikido. we are also a full time dojo open 6 days a week. i believe one of your instructors knows of us but i forget which one, he visited us at our last dojo some time ago. at what grade are you deborah?
Old 02-06-2006, 06:45 AM   #35
rottunpunk
United Kingdom

its a luminous orange pub now. and strettles isnt strettles anymore, even though it still is...

...kohaku, thanks for the info.
the instructors are ian cherry, peter warnock and tim someone and another dude that wears haks, but i cant rememer his name. and the chief instructor is bob spence-i think
im a bumbling no grade at the moment, though im not to grade orientated.

forgive me if im wrong, but wouldnt i have to go to your dojo as avisitor only due to politics not letting me train at both? ive heard hints of it, but am trying to stay out of the politics as long as possible
Old 02-09-2006, 03:23 AM   #36
kohaku

United Kingdom

if u wanted to train i would recommend you speak to ur sensei first, we have had people from your club train with us. i wouldnt want to give ur sensei's the impression that we are "poaching" students, so you would need to ask his permission. but if you are interested you could always pop down and check us out. our chief instrustor is Mick Mercer and we are in the yellow pages.